Merc Parts System Down - Fact or Bull C**p

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
I ordered a part from the Merc dealer last week. I waited till this Monday before I called back to check on it. The parts man said Merc is upgrading their ordering system and all previous orders were deleted and he cant order any till the 5th of April.

Any one else heard of this?

It is either a load of bull, or Merc is totally incompetent.

Ken

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Merc Parts System Down - Fact or Bull C**p

Nope, it's a fact. They shut it down for a week. Should be back up today.
Last Wed was the last day anything could be ordered until the new computer system was installed.
Incompetent and just plain old DUMB is the proper words. April is the beginning of the boating season in many areas, or at least people are getting their boats out of storage and ready for the water.
Seems they could have done this change in January or February and not interrupted near as many parts orders.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's total incompetance. They should have had the new system running in parallel and cut it in over night or over a weekend. There is no reason for it to take a week. If we took a wek to install a new software the company would go broke.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the info. Luckily I have been too busy anyway to fix the boat, so no major problem.

A coke and a candy bar says the new system crashes cause of the weeks worths of orders everone enters when it comes back online.

Ken

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

I called yesterday to see if this week's order had showed up yet, being as I hadn't recieved a call from my local supplier.

I guess this thread confirms their statements.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Dumb kind of fits.There is a reason this wasn't done December Holdays,but I haven't been told.

Just hope the bugs are few.

DHP

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like same old Mercury to me.....I have four boats waiting for parts and of course it'll all come at once with everything else...

MERCURY....SETTING THE WATER ON FIRE(sic)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I got lucky, ordered from parts express on Wednesday the 28th, 1 pm, got a reply from dealer an hour later saying he was going to try to get it thru before they shut down. Got my parts on Monday morning.
Got dads motor back together yesterday, and will get it back to him tomorrow.

I got the impression it was a distribution shut down, not a computer upgrade.
The PartsExpress site is still up and running now.
Don't know if all the orders will be lost. That would be dumb.
You'd think they would just feed them into the new system.

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They weren't lost, Orders just weren't being accepted or shipped.
If a dealer was able to get online to order the part, then it was in the system and would be shipped. At the cutoff point, the orders weren't accepted because they couldn't be placed. It's just that simple. You couldn't place the order online or on the phone. It was over. till the system was updated. And that is hit and miss concept since Friday.