'79 Starcraft SS 16 restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: '79 Starcraft SS 16 restoration

I pretty much forgot to mention that Roslynn also managed to get the vinyl measured, cut, and installed on the two shelves under the gunwales.:D

It worked out very well and should be great for keeping tools from sliding around. I haven't decided if I'm going to go ahead with a plan I have to make custom rod holders on those shelves.

The ski locker is adequate for rod storage so I'm not sure.

DSCF6363.jpg

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Great to see er on the H2O :cool: and kudos to you and especially the Mrs on the vinyl.....well done, looks great....could lead to a commercial 'hook'...well done...looks great....well done...looks great...Miller time, everyone do the wave ;):D
Seriously super job!!!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Great to see er on the H2O :cool: and kudos to you and especially the Mrs on the vinyl.....well done, looks great....could lead to a commercial 'hook'...well done...looks great....well done...looks great...Miller time, everyone do the wave ;):D
Seriously super job!!!

LOL thanks Kenny, Roslynn is very proud of her vinyl job. I'm not sure if she wants to do another resto right away after this one or not, but she has been having fun with it:)

Huron Angler

Admiral

I swapped out the base on one of the blue/grey/white seats over to my comfy white captain's chair. I love this seat:)

I'm still monkeying around with the steering, maybe taking the rig out later this afternoon since they are calling for rain tomorrow and she's begging to get out on the water. So are the kids:D

DSCF6364.jpg

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I love this seat:)QUOTE]

come on your much to young to love a seat, now me on the other hand i'm pretty fond of a certain recliner.

both look nice but the white would prob fit me better

Huron Angler

Admiral

Well here is the latest update, as you can see the helm is attached and the starboard windshield is on.

We spent time on little things like getting vinyl on the "interior end caps":confused: of the gunwale shelves, trimming excess vinyl, screwing down the console and on and on...

We are beat and ready to take the boat for a little family cruise. It's really hot so it will be nice to cool off a bit and relax.

I am looking forward to testing out the 5.5hp Johnson as a kicker and I may even hook up the new fish finder and tinker with it out on the water.:D

DSCF6366.jpg

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Man I need to get back to work on mine, closest I got to water today was in the kiddie pool with the dog :D....glad to see the final details getting finished off! :cool:

Triton II

Commander

Wow HA... nice looking vinyl job - big kudos to Mrs HA! Let us know if you got out on the water... I tried yesterday but the wind was vicious so I pulled the pin on the idea. Good luck getting her wet! :D

TII

sprintst

Commander

Nice work. I'll need to do some vinyl too on the sides eventually as well. Hopefully mine will turn out as nice.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Man I need to get back to work on mine, closest I got to water today was in the kiddie pool with the dog....glad to see the final details getting finished off! :cool:

I wouldn't worry about the schedule Kenny, take your time and do it right. I am getting anxious and dangerously close to cutting corners:p

Wow HA... nice looking vinyl job - big kudos to Mrs HA! Let us know if you got out on the water... I tried yesterday but the wind was vicious so I pulled the pin on the idea. Good luck getting her wet! :D

TII

Thanks Triton...do you guys have inland lakes to fish when the open ocean is too rough? When Lake Huron or Michigan is kicking up 5-7 footers we hit up the small lakes and catch smaller fish;)

We did get out on the local lake tonight, I will post some pics. The little SS is perfect for our family of four:)

Nice work. I'll need to do some vinyl too on the sides eventually as well. Hopefully mine will turn out as nice.

Thanks sprint, yeah isn't your boat almost done? :) I would recommend this type of marine vinyl for sides on bare aluminum or on the deck. It does feel a bit rough when kneeling wearing shorts though let me warn ya!

Huron Angler

Admiral

I had some help getting the rig ready for the water:)

DSCF6371.jpg

And it couldn't have been a calmer night...it was like glass all night. I happened to capture a fish surfacing in this shot. This lake isn't really that spectacular but you can't tell in this picure.;)

DSCF6384.jpg

Here's a shot of the rig's power. Roslynn says it's too much going on back on the transom. I say it's reliable and purely functional.

I am looking to get a bow-mount Minn Kota but I'm skeptical that I really want to block off the easy access climbing in and out of the boat when beaching. An ez on/off bracket might do the trick but they sure are pricey.

Now I'm just rambling...bottom line-- we had a great night out and the rig still hasn't leaked a drop in two trips out. :)

DSCF6377.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

I had my oldest son use a spin caster for the first time tonight since we forgot his Scooby-Doo pole. He did pretty well reeling it in.

We didn't catch any fish and I think that is good since Roslynn might not want to see her nice work all slimy and bloody for at least a week;)

DSCF6382.jpg

I really like this picture of the various motors hanging off the transom.

I am confident that the rig is ready for the walleye tourney on the 5th.

The Merc definitely needs a new prop/repaired prop...but I can run 5-6mph with the 5.5hp and 10mph with the Merc before the prop slips, and that is going to be enough to get to the spot:D

DSCF6385.jpg

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Awsome pics! thanks for sharing em!

Hey what did yall catch? .....oops just re read it ya didnt catch a thing DOH

is the fishin good yet or are they still in the deep water?

the kids will certainly remember these good times! keep it up!:D

Roz was helping with the resto COOL! she sure looks cute in that pic with the kids fishing...lucky guy you!

ps Hey I see a fuel tank that might need a resto....hehehhehe mebbe some matching paint to your boat? lol

Love the old little trolly motor way neato!

BTW you sure moved fast in the last few weeks....it was all tore up then BAM !!!!!! on the water!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Awsome pics! thanks for sharing em!

Hey what did yall catch? .....oops just re read it ya didnt catch a thing DOH

is the fishin good yet or are they still in the deep water?

the kids will certainly remember these good times! keep it up!:D

Roz was helping with the resto COOL! she sure looks cute in that pic with the kids fishing...lucky guy you!

ps Hey I see a fuel tank that might need a resto....hehehhehe mebbe some matching paint to your boat? lol

Love the old little trolly motor way neato!

BTW you sure moved fast in the last few weeks....it was all tore up then BAM !!!!!! on the water!

Thanks Vegas, it has been a blur around here the last few days I keep thinking I am forgetting something important:)

The fuel tanks are a ways down on the list of things still to do...I do have a plastic one with new hose I may use for the Merc though as well.

I also should dress up the outboards a bit too, new paint, decals. I do love the little 5.5 and it runs like a top so it will get some work. The Merc I am not as committed to as it has some issues, it's loud and shakes more than a V4 OMC would.

We'll get some fish next trip out eh!

i think you did a damn fine job...

Thanks Andy, it's just the interior so far but we are pretty happy with it.:)

Now I have to find time to paint the rig and rebuild the transom(might wait until this fall for that).

83mulligan

Looks really nice, Huron. What do you fish for on the big lake? I do a lot of salmon fishing myself. Learning the walleye on saginaw bay and eerie too. Can't wait to have my boat back in operation all rigged for the way I use it with lots of custom storage.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looks really nice, Huron. What do you fish for on the big lake? I do a lot of salmon fishing myself. Learning the walleye on saginaw bay and eerie too. Can't wait to have my boat back in operation all rigged for the way I use it with lots of custom storage.

Thanks 83mulligan, I grew up in Petoskey and spent summers near Presque Isle on Lake Huron so we always fished for Salmon, Steelhead, Lake Trout and Brown Trout on the big lakes.

The baitfish really dropped off in northern Huron so the Salmon fishing has suffered but walleye are plentiful. That's our new target so I've been learning lots about floating jigheads and stuff.:)

Around here(Lansing) I fish for Pike, Perch and Bass mostly since the lakes are shallow.

83mulligan

Lansing, eh? Not far at all. We have a place up on Drummond Island, so I'm familiar with the baitfish die off. The Atlantic Salmon fishery up there is still really good though. Take care, and I hope you aren't a Sparty like Jsercsa :eek:

Huron Angler

Admiral

So I got to work on wiring up the new Garmin fishfinder. It needed to be extended on the power cable and I got the connects clamped down. I added some ends friendly to a battery post and fired it up.:)

It has a volt meter, speedometer(will be hooked up next) and a temp gauge.
It should be a nice unit to use and I can't wait to test it out.

The photo is a simulation, there aren't actually fish in my garage:p

DSCF6403.jpg

This is just a photo of the bow piece ready to go in.

DSCF6404.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.