Starter problem???

dentra

Cadet
I have a 1988 Force 125 and am having problems with the starter. If I take the plugs out and release the compresion the engine turns over fine but with the plugs in it turns over real slow if at all! the battery is new and I had it load tested and it is fine! does this sound like a starter problem or is there something else i should check befor spending money on a new starter?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starter problem???

What jaybirddog11 said.

It is very likely that you have some resistance in the battery to engine cables or connections that is preventing the starter motor getting enough current.

The most common fault is where the battery ground cable connects to the engine block, as jaybirddog11 said.

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

If after checking all of your grounds and other connections you still have a problem you can pull the starter and have it checked by your local starter-alternator shop, look in the phone book under starters and or alternator repairs and sales,but it really sounds like a bad ground.Keep us posted on what you find with your problem. MOPAR ROLL TIDE 12-0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

FIRST!!!! do a compression test.Then worry about your starter.J

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

FIRST!!!! do a compression test.Then worry about your starter.J

Given that troubleshooting is the process of eliminating possible causes of a fault, what possible compression problem could cause starter troubles??

dentra

Cadet

cleaned up all the ground connections and they are all fine and still does the same thing! I think I am going to pull the starter and have it checked out! I did notice that the negative cable on the battery gets hot when I try to crank the engine over? and yes the compression is fine! allthough that has nothing to do with a starter but thanks for asking???????

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

cleaned up all the ground connections and they are all fine and still does the same thing! I think I am going to pull the starter and have it checked out! I did notice that the negative cable on the battery gets hot when I try to crank the engine over? and yes the compression is fine! allthough that has nothing to do with a starter but thanks for asking???????

If you're getting a hot cable, that tells me one of two things: either the cable is bad, or your negative terminal may be loose or bad. Does it get hot if you crank it without the plugs in the motor?

jaybirddog11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is your negative battery cable linked directly to the engine block?

sentinel

Seaman

The point where the cable appears to be getting hot is where you should start.

That hotness you feel is because there is a RESISTANCE (poor contact) at that point or close nearby. That resistance can be caused by oxidation inside the battery connector itself, or poor contact between the WIRES of the cable and the battery cable clamp. If the cable is short going to the block the heat could be coming from that end.

Clean wire surfaces and clamp surfaces with emery cloth and clamp or secure the cable wires again. Another way to check is to put a DC voltmeter (apprx. 12 volt range), across the battery ground terminal (itself) and a good ground point on the block before and after the above servicing. Those two readings will help you see if you improved the contact which will reduce the heat. Same metering can be done with the positive battery side but watch out that your leads are not shorting something.

If high heat is felt on the starter casing near the brushes, your commutator and brushes may require service because of excessive arcing.

Larry

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Uneven compression will cause the starter to drag.When the rings carboned on my 85 and the compression was low on 1 cylinder it would cause the starter to drag and even backfire.
You say comp was good what was it? A bad cylinder would cause your problem.J

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

My '98 90 HP Force did the same thing and I found it was the starter bushings being dry. Disassembled starter, lubed them and it's worked fine ever since.
Mike

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The most common cause of ALL starter problems are POOR connections, a poor connection causes low voltage and high ampherage draw, very effectively cooking the connection AND........ the starter, radically shortening the lifetime of the starter.

Heat, at ANY connection is a dead give-a-way that THAT connection is poor and in need of attention. Sand all surfaces of the connection clean and bright, make sure it is put together TIGHT, coat the finished work with a sealant, grease, spray sealant, something to keep air and water from causing oxidation of the connection again.

Repeat this on ALL ENDS of ALL battery cables including the short cable from the starter to the relay.

9 out of 10 times this simple thing will cure your starter woes.