2003 mercury 75hp not running right

prodeep

Recruit
i just purchased a new boat i think im on number 11 now but anyway this thing is doing something ive never seen one do before.it will start up pretty easy every merc ive owned has been cold natured after it starts it run at idle fine but when you go to gun the throttle to get on plane it revs to about 4000 rpm and falls back to 2000 rpms and the only way to keep it running at high rpm is to keep pushing on choke on the key .....i acts like its starving for fuel to me

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2003 mercury 75hp not running right

Welcome to iboats. :)

Sounds like varnished main jets. Remove the drain plugs on the carb bowls and see if the ends are green. That wouldn't guarantee that's the problem, but could be good indicator.

prodeep

Recruit

ive been working with it a little today i replaced the primer bulb in uel line as well as new filter and plugs its starting better but still not running right i pulled drain screws on carb and they look good.i started it up and tried spraying some carb cleaner in carbs when sptraying in to the top 2 carbs the motor popped and reved up but on the bottom it choked down when i sprayed it.........

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You have carburetor issues. Spraying fuel into the carbs and having the engine rev indicates those two cylinders are lean or not getting fuel. The bottom carb is apparently ok as introducing more fuel causes that cylinder to go rich. The carbs need to be rebuilt.

Unicorn

Cadet

Silvertip.
With respect (6000 posts) I would hope that a 2003 model would not need a carb rebuilt YET!!!!
Otherwise I just might be putting my 2005 on the market.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Unicorn said:
Silvertip.
With respect (6000 posts) I would hope that a 2003 model would not need a carb rebuilt YET!!!!

Could also be he doesn't have any water seperating fuel filters on the boat and he has water, crud. crap and corrosion in a couple of carbs. Same thing could happen to a 2007 motor if there is water and/or gunk in the tank and getting into the carbs. Has nothing to do with the year of the motor.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The need for a carb rebuild has nothing to do with age.
Has more to do with fuel quality, storage conditions, and long term storage prep.

Unicorn

Cadet

But you would think after 10 boats, he would be doing the right things re-fuel and dirt. New boats come with filters and water seperators don't they.
You guys are scaring me.. I don't want to be forking out money for carb rebuilds after just a few years.
Prodeep.. Whaddyoureckon?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

People treat anything with an engine with varying degrees of care. I've known people (one was a director of engineering) who never changed oil in there cars. They just added oil when needed and changed the oil filter at 5000 mile intervals or not at all. When the car dies they buy another. Do you think they would treat their lawn mower, boat, weed whacker or snow blower any differently. Just because they owned 10 or 11 of anything does not mean they know how, or even want to take proper care of them. An since in this case, the rig was not new, the new owner has no idea what care the boat had previously. In my view, if you must remove a carb to investigate a problem, it only makes sense to install a new kit. It's not like one must mortgage the farm to pay for this. Up here in the tundra, engines are layed up from November until late March or Early April. Many of them are layed up with absolutely no thought given to treating fuel, fogging the engine, draining and refilling the lower unit and checking for water. Then in the spring they are amazed that the battery is dead or cracked, the lower unit is cracked, the engine won't start or is seized, and the list goes on. Yes -- carb rebuilds can and very often are required on a four year old engine. As older engines are gradually leaving circulation, the newer engines in this area are having fewer fuel system problems since our fuel is an ethanol/gasoline blend. If one has a fiberglass fuel tank however, that's whole "nuther" story.

prodeep

Recruit

i alway do a complete winterize on my boats fog the cylinders,stabil or seafoam in the gas,alway change fuel filter before starting every year as well as plugs i bought this boat from a bank that i repoed it for it was sitting for a while i drain gas from carbs and siphened the tank filled with new fuel and can of seafoam.....and i changed fuel lines just in case....ive never taken a carb apart on a o/b before i was just wanting some advice on what to do...thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Two key factors here: 1: Reposessed generally = lack of care. 2: Sitting for awhile, coupled with lack of care during layup is what causes fuel system problems.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

It could be as simple as an air leak in your fuel lines, or a problem with the tank venting.

Ryan M

Cadet

Unicorn said:
Silvertip.
I wouldn`t be so quick to pay someone to rebuild your carbs. The bottom two are fine, as previously posted, the top two on the other hand are not getting enough fuel. Try adjusting you float bowl height. The tang that holds your float bowl closes and opens your needle. bend the tang down a little bit to allow more gas into your carbs. Do you have a manual? If so, it will specify proper float bowl height.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Air leaks in the fuel line would affect all carbs not just one. If a fuel line were bad after the fuel pump pressurized fuel would be sprayed around the engine. It is possible an inlet needle is stuck on the one carb. Float adjustment is not generally the cause of that problem. Replacing the needle and seat is the proper fix. Either way -- that carb should be disassembled, checked, and cleaned. Since you have experience when done with that one, do the others which would take 1/3 the time. d:)