Replace The Transom???? Pics

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
THE TRANSOM HAS SOME CRACKS ON IT AND I ASUME IT IS JUST THE GEL COAT BUT I DONT KNOW. THE BOAT IS RATED FOR A 125 AND THE MOTOR IS A 140. MY DAD SAID THEY HAVE A 15% LEWAY, AND THIS COVERS MY 15HP DIFF., BUT IT IS STILL ALOT OF POWER FOR THIS LITTLE BOAT. (78 GLASTRON CVX16) MY ? IS HOW TO CHECK THE TRANSOM FOR ROT WITHOUT RIPPING IT OUT OR TAKING THE CAP OFF. (CAN YOU TAKE THE CAP OFF OF ONE OF THESE BOATS?) KEEP IN MIND THAT THE FLOOR IS ROTTD OUT AND HAS TO BE REPLACED. I ALSO HAVE READ THAT THE FLOOR ROTTED IS A RED FLAG, BUT THE STRINGER IS SOLID AS WELL. THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE HELP!! OHH AND FOR THE RECORD I WAS NOT THE ONE THAT PATCHED THOSE "PATCHES"!! toocan

11111001.jpg

11111002.jpg

11111003.jpg

11111006.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replace The Transom???? Pics

With transoms it seems like "if you have to ask, you should probably replace it" :) Anyway, with a rotted floor, and all that patch work going I'd be really surprised if there wasn't at least some rot. (and the 15% leeway your dad told you about is not true. A max rating is a max rating)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Please drop the cap lock! ;)

I fully agree with my fellow mod above!

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

You know, after reading your post and the one on the ProCraft disaster, I'm GLAD to say I own an aluminum hulled boat! The only wood is in the transom and if I knew what to replace it with that wouldn't ever rot, I would!

erikgreen

Captain

Gel coat doesn't crack unless what's underneath it flexes, and what's underneath doesn't flex in a transom unless it's failed and needs replacement. Sorry :(

How do you know the stringers are good? To really tell you need to take a core sample with a drill.

If the floor is rotten, odds are good you're looking at the full monty of floor, foam, stringers, and transom. But no one can tell (even the deity-like wisdom of the mods above, whom we worship) by looking at pictures. You need to make some tests and do some digging with tools.

Look at other posts here for info on testing for rot, and do the checks.

Post back here when you need help :)

Erik

sprintst

Commander

There is a lot worse out there that has been brought back to better than new.

The boat looks good and it's all just time and effort to make it ship shape. I'm always more comfortable knowing I did everything I could at the time when I had it all apart :)

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks guys for all your thoughts. sorry for the CAPS LOCK i did not mean anyone harm:D. anyway as far as the real issues go, i did not drill the stringer to check i just tried to move and or break it with my foot, and there was no movage or breakage! ill try the drill thing but my theory was if it is not rotten on the outside it was fine on the inside (just a 2x4 or 2x6). and that was the same thing i was thinking with the transom, as far as flexing is concerned. i just wasn't sure if there was something else that could of happened. does anyone know anyone that took the top "cap" off of a boat like this one?? pictures?? i tried a search but i only came up with one similar project and they flew threw it with minor specifics. well with my a.d.d. i need things almost handed to me. lol i think that i am going to have to rebuild the whole underneath of the front deck if i remove the cap?? i don't know if I'm capable of this .........one more thing (sorry) how do you replace the top cap?? how do you reform the two into one?? thanks TOOCAN

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

RELAX

look for a restore thread on a fiberglass boat similar to yours. i have a tin boat but have seen alot of glass threads here where they have cut the cap off. it's not impossible just look around and then ask those guys for advise.
everyone here is helpful... just remember you'll hear alot of opinions and you know what they say about opinions their alot like a## holes everyone has one
just do your own searches and weight your options and decide what you what to do.

good luck
joe

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hate to tell you this but I can almost smell transom rott from my desk chair in the computer. If you take out that drain plug and get your fingers in there I bet dollars to donuts you find mulch in there. Good luck just take it all one step at a time. Remove the motor first pretty easy and straight forward. Common sense and some help here and next year you will be smiling from ear to ear. Good Luck

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Careful overpowering a boat, new or old. We had a kid this summer on a small lake up here in Maine put a 40hp on an old wooden boat and was pulling his friends on a tube. When the transom let go it took the rope with it to the bottom along with the motor. The only good thing was a 75ft rope in a 50ft lake, could have been the other way around.

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks guys for all the feed back. i was told the motor was factory. i guess it can't be factory if it is too much motor! Ive also seen this same boat with more motor on it, but I'm sure their transom was solid unlike mine apparently is. well i guess this summer when my dad pulls his boat out ill pull mine in. we share a storage with both our boats in it and his is in the back. he said he will not use for the season just for winter, so that's when ill pull mine apart and give it a whirl. thanks and happy boating TOOCAN