Best new outboards on the market today

Best new outboards on the market today

• Total voters

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best new outboards on the market today

best one is the one that works.
rumour has it that merc is gonna open yet another chinese manufacturing facility to supplement the last one they opened to produce motors under 60 HP.
we will see.
my 175 E-tec launced a connecting rod through the block at 15 hours but the warrenty service was wonderful.
and yes the merc yamaha marriage failed about 2005 or so.
the divorce was messy :)
best thing to do is buy it new,buy the extended warrenty and when it expires trade it in and buy another.
its the new american way

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Rodbolt,

Is Mercury going to move the manufacturing of the smaller Optipops to China or are they just going to start making the larger 4-strokes there? I know that the 40, 50 and I think the 60 4-strokes are made their now.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

and yes the merc yamaha marriage failed about 2005 or so.

Thanks for the confirmation. I stopped paying attention to that in about the time it fell apart I guess....didn't really have a need to pay attention since then.

So, are the 75, 90 and 115 HP Mercury 4 Strokes now their own design and manufacture? Or are they using someone elses motors with Mercury labels?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

"So, are the 75, 90 and 115 HP Mercury 4 Strokes now their own design and manufacture?"

Blame or praise lies solely with Fond Du Lac.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dunno what merc is gonna do, its all rumours so far and they tend to play corperate issues rather close to the vest.
I do know that volvo is dropping all but 2 versions of the small block chevrolet and as of jan 01 2010 there will be no more yamaha two strokes for import into the US market,remaining dealer inventories can be sold until depleted then no more 2 stroke yamahas for the US market.

the remaining volvo small blocks,a 5.0 and a 5.7 will have catalytic converters,as will all other marinizers.
the 4.3 is exempt I believe until 2011 and the 8.1 until 2012.
rumour has it that GM is gonna drop production on the big cast iron V motors altogether.
like I say, I need 5 more good years and I retire anyway.
I just feel very sorry for the young techs and the young consumers.
boat repairing is going to get very competative and very costly in the very near future.

S

Sandy--928

I purchased a 40 hp merc 4stroke in 2005, it had made in china all over it, I had no complaints with the motor what so ever, I didn't buy a Honda, because I wanted to buy an american motor,I guess we live and learn.