gel-coat fixxins????

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
does anyone know how and where to get the product and knowledge to fix these probs???
11111004-1-1.jpg

11111005-1.jpg

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: gel-coat fixxins????

Looks like the clear coat is peeling away and probably the metal flake gel coat underneath is suspect at this point...

I'd be worried that if I fixed those spots with either new clear coat over the metal flake or metal flake gel and clear coat, the surrounding areas would go quickly.

I'm no gel coat expert by any means, so I'm betting that other more experienced people will chime in!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... What's peeling is probably Clearcoat Paint, not gelcoat...
The metal flake under it is gelcoat...

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

does anyone know how to fix clear coat?? is it ok to fix just the spot or what? thanks guys!! TOOCAN

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I would have to Assume it's peeling because of Poor Preparation...
That said, the Clear will need to be sanded off, Reprep the hull,+ Repaint the Whole thing...

BitterSweet

Cadet

Yes what you're seeing is a clear coat with sun damage. Here is what you can do. Get some 320 - 400 Gritt wet/dry sand paper and a spray bottle of water. Spray the water on the affected area and sand the affected area. This will "break" the line. At this point you have two options, 1) wipe it clean use a bit of polish and a buffer (lightly) buff it and call it a day. (note that you no longer have a clear coat over this section of gel coat but understand it is not nessecary to have clear coat over your gel coat. in fact I dont recomend it at all because gel coat is much tougher than clear coat and can withstand many more years of buffing to bring back the shine.) OR 2) If you wish to spray clear coat over that area, continue to wet sand about 1-1.5 inches past the affected area lightly in a jagged design (this is called feather edging), clean with a prep solution and spray your clear coat over the affected area and blend.

Again I would just remove the "ugly" from the boat, that clear coat is going to continue to blister and it is just easier to do a quick fix. someone probably cleared over the gel coat because either the gel coat was thin or they lacked knowledge on buffing a gel coat. Enjoy