Bogging Surging Aggravating

pabloescobedo96

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, I have a 1979 35 Johnson outboard model# 35EL79A.
It runs fine at idle, and for the most part revs normal in neutral. But when in gear If I try to give it throttle it will bogg down. If I hold the throttle forward it will surge as if its not getting enough fuel or something. I'm guessing it is almost certainly a carberatuer issue. Fuel pump lines ect are all good. I don't know much about carberators obviosly, since I cant even spell it right. So any ideas on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bogging Surging Aggravating

What is the history of the motor? Is the bogging/surging a new issue?

pabloescobedo96

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, brand spankin new issue. It was the coldest weather I have taken it out in yet though if that makes a differnce about 36 degrees. Never had a simular problem as this. Busted a prop the same night but dont think its related.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Sounds fuel related. Ever had the carbs rebuilt ??

pabloescobedo96

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds fuel related. Ever had the carbs rebuilt ??

Nope never touched a carb in my life. I can run circles around fuel injection but the old skool stuff is before my time. Is there a quick course you can give me as I'm sure I can pick up quick, and dont really like to be seen bringing it to a shop being an ase master technition in automotive.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Reading up as we speak. Some real good info here.

Small carbs like that are a piece of cake to repair, FI is 10x harder to diagnose and fix, if you can do FI a carb should be blindfold work.

pabloescobedo96

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok Im going to post some pics of my carb here because I'm still a little confused.:confused:

PIC 1 My Carb

fish064.jpg

PIC2 Do I really need a rebuild kit? what comes in it?

fish065.jpg

PIC3 So I turn the carb upside down and blow through what

fish063.jpg

PIC4 My low speed is some kind of needle valve. No jet?

fish062.jpg

PIC5 Here is my high speed jet showing where it came from

fish067.jpg

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Step 1, buy a kit.
Step 2, examine what is in the kit, remove all the parts that come with the kit off of the carb, remove the float and float pin, needle and seat, remove welch plugs with a punch
Step 3, soak the carb in carb cleaner for 2 or so hrs.
Step 4, rinse the carb with water and blow out all passages with compressed air, your second pic has the emulsion tube in the centre, blow it out
Step5, assemble the carb using the new parts and welch plugs. Set the float so the float is even with the carb body, it looks pretty even in your first pic.

The problem is that you can't see inside the carb which is where the dirt can be. Kits help to bring every thing back to factory so if there is any amount of wear in replaceable parts, they are never a bad investment.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Generally bogging on throttle opening is a sign of a lean idle fuel mixture.

The more attention to detail during cleaning the better the outcome.

Pay particular attention the small diameter brass tube that carries fuel up thru the emulsion tube to the top side of the carb where the adjustable pilot/idle jet meters the flow thru the small hole at and into the topside of the carb throat.

Spray carb cleaner thru the tube and into the needle hole to verify a clear path, followed by compressed air to ensure all passages are perfectly clear and dry.

I do NOT recommend any of the soap/water spray carb cleaners, the cheap Wal-Mart Super Tech is one of the cheapest (and best) solvent sprays on the market.

Smooth wire, like stripped from a bread-bag wire tie can be helpful in clearing a particularly badly crusted jet or passage.

NEVER, EVER use a torch-tip cleaner, it will ream and enlarge a jet or passage, rendering that part uselessly ruined.

pabloescobedo96

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I got my rebuild kit replaced everything after cleaning up real good and blowing out everything. Not hard at all, but I am curious in learning exactly how all the parts of the carberator work.

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

Had this problem back a couple years ago(check 115 evinrude thread). Spent quite a bit of $$$$ when it ended up being a wiring/electrical problem. I think it was FR who indicated that electrical is often mistaken for fuel delivery problem.

Just my two cents.

pabloescobedo96

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had this problem back a couple years ago(check 115 evinrude thread). Spent quite a bit of $$$$ when it ended up being a wiring/electrical problem. I think it was FR who indicated that electrical is often mistaken for fuel delivery problem.

Just my two cents.

Those electrical problems will get you every time. But no its not electrical. One simple test I did was choked it when it was bogging to give it a kick of fuel and it came back to life. ;)