4 Cyl Evinrude Fuel system problem

Badger2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a model 85ETLR78C early 80's Evinrude V4.
Has spark on all 4 cyl. Will run momentarily on a shot of starter fluid.

I have had the carbs off several times cleaned them top to bottom. Even replaced the needle valves and brass seats. The best it will do is spit a few RPM's on gas. I do notice that after cranking a bit there is a good bit of fuel fuel that runs out of the top carb. Allthough when you pressurize the fuel system with the squeeze ball there are no leaks. I think this is a fuel system problem but it makes no sense. Perhaps someone out there has had a similar problem

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4 Cyl Evinrude Fuel system problem

see the top secret file. did you remove and clean all the jets? adjust the float. change all the fuel lines (ethanol?, check timing & linc n sinc?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I have a model 85ETLR78C early 80's Evinrude V4.
Has spark on all 4 cyl. Will run momentarily on a shot of starter fluid.

I have had the carbs off several times cleaned them top to bottom. Even replaced the needle valves and brass seats. The best it will do is spit a few RPM's on gas. I do notice that after cranking a bit there is a good bit of fuel fuel that runs out of the top carb. Allthough when you pressurize the fuel system with the squeeze ball there are no leaks. I think this is a fuel system problem but it makes no sense. Perhaps someone out there has had a similar problem

The fact that gas is running out (from choking, I presume??) indicates that it is getting plenty of fuel. Too much in fact.

I suggest you get your eyes off the carburetors and look for something else causing the no-start problem. Back to the basics, compression, ignition, etc.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Red lever on the top of the motor pointing the right way, it might be flooding from that?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Your engine is a 1978 model and it has choke butterflies which will assist in starting when cold. Turn the key to on, push in on the key and the choke solenoid should close the choke butterflies in the carbs. I'd pull the airbox cover off to make sure the butterflies are closing all the way when the key is pushed in. Keep the key pushed in when cranking the engine till it starts, then occasionally push the key in to choke it till it warms up. If it wont start after activating the choke, I'd check elsewhere for the problem. Check the plugs when trying to start. If they are dry, you are not getting fuel. If they are soaked (wet) you are getting fuel, but you may have weak spark.

Badger2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It has to be the jets are clogged somehow. IF I install the carbs and squirt fuel directly into the back of the carbs it will start momentarily. Im going nutz with these carbs. Might just reach in the box for a donor pair of newer carbs. But I'll have to change it to a primer.

BTW you are right about the year.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If this engine has been stored or has not been used in a long time, you could have dried fuel in some of the internal passages. Did you pull the carbs completely down and clean the passages properly? As Tas mentioned, the only way to clean a carb is to remove all the jets and visually inspect them. Then you should spray an aerosol carb cleaner through one passage on carb 1, then repeat that same passage on carb 2. You should see similar spray flows of cleaner out of the other end of both the passages. Then go on to the next passage on carb 1, then repeat the process on carb 2. If you see no flow or weak flow, that passage may have dried fuel in it-causing a restriction or blockage.

Badger2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You guys have to be right. I'm getting better at cleaning the carbs but I seem to have much to learn. I bolted on a pair of carburetors from a 1990 Evinrude 90 HP and it started right up. Now to tune the beast