Jury duty - The aftermath

angus63

Captain
Re: Jury duty tomorrow

A few years back I did federal jury duty in Brooklyn, NY. International drug smuggling case. Three weeks and lots of drama. Deliberation was like a remake of "12 Angry Men". Not looking forward to the next time...

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

My first jury duty was frustrating as you could ask for. Convicted drug dealer in Fla under surveillance was seen getting the bag of drugs and driving off. This slimy slick defense attorney's whole can was built on the fact the car went behind a hedge (out of sight of the police for 3 seconds) and the drugs were tossed into his car by an unknown guy trying to get him. The really dumb prosecutor let a college pot head and a woman that didn't believe in jails to stay on the jury.

Long story short, case dismissed all charges dropped, hung jury. 10 to 2 (go figure) Later I asked the judge why she let the sleaze bag off, and she told me he wasn't worth the effort and released me from duty for the rest of the week.

Want to get off of it, just go in yelling hang him you know he's guilty.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I'm almost 31 years old and never been called on... is that strange?

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Make the best of it Edward and let us know all about it when it's all over with.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

I heard most cases are one hearing only for the most part, if you get picke dit will prob be short!
Ive never gotten picked and dont get jury summons very often.....Im glad :p

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I got a summons for jury duty last year about 2 months after my house was raided and an official investigation had started on me. Found it kind of funny, but then 2 - 3 weeks later I received a letter saying my services weren't required. Don't know if there was a plea or if they realized I might not be the best candidate for it. Hope I never get called on again but at the end of the day I would walk in unbiased and do what I'm ordered to do. I think it would be kind of fun.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

HAHAHAH! I had my second day of jury duty today and was booted faster than anyone else before me :)

It was a gun assault case and the second they heard about someone shooting at me the defense atty had me booted ASAP :p

At least I got to hear how jury selection works and what a court room gasping sounds like (when I told them about the shooting). lol.. still chuckling about it. The judge felt so bad about me waiting all day tuesday for nothing he let me go home instead of back into the jury pool :)

I must say, people are both boring and seriously messed up. A few people left the jury because they seriously believed anyone arrested must be guilty. Who thinks that?! Or that cops are somehow more honest than other people.. 3 people booted from that one.

All in all, I learned that seemingly all people have seriously boring lives, or at least all the interesting people avoid jury duty. The only interesting person was some girl who had an prior assault charge, but she was just a loser, not really interesting.

QC

Supreme Mariner

My experience was that when we finally had a jury assembled that we were a very good cross section of society and we all took the whole thing seriously. I was pleasantly uplifted as far as my perception of my "peers" was concerned. This was not evident to me until we were deliberating though, as my personal prejudices and biases were clouding my assessment. So, I guess the message is to have faith . . .

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It was a gun assault case and the second they heard about someone shooting at me the defense atty had me booted ASAP :p

This shooting was not a jealous boyfriend or husband was it :eek::eek:;)

Well at least you got a taste of what happens.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

My experience was that when we finally had a jury assembled that we were a very good cross section of society and we all took the whole thing seriously. I was pleasantly uplifted as far as my perception of my "peers" was concerned. This was not evident to me until we were deliberating though, as my personal prejudices and biases were clouding my assessment. So, I guess the message is to have faith . . .

This is pretty darn close to my experience/assessment, I had my faith in my fellow citizens renewed.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Jury duty - The aftermath

I was called bout 6 years ago. They seated a bunch of us in the jurors box and the two lawyers started asking questions. It was a DUI case. They got to me and I was asked if agreed with the Illinois state law on drinking and driving. I told them that "if you drink and climb behind the wheel, and get pulled over, you should be charged with attempted murder."

I was dismissed. mission complete!!!!