Just got back from the hospital ... Nate's Gone

aspeck

Staff member
ER, 22yo male, H1N1 gone bad ... pneumonia, both lungs, x-rays were a near "white out." He is now on a ventilator and being transfered to the nearest trauma unit, SpO2 in the 30's, heart racing, BP off the charts ... please say a prayer for he and his family, not looking too good right now ... thanks.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Just got back from the hospital ...

Our prayers go out to him and his family, good you could be there for them.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Art.... you got it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

as you wish, best to his family.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Sent and will continue to do so.

jcsercsa

Captain

There sent !!! but you ok art ??? John

aspeck

Staff member

Yes, I am okay. He is a close family friend, and the family is holding up reasonably well. Just heard from them ... he made it through the night, not much change, but making through the night was a good thing.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Prayers said...........

Tyme2fish

Commander

Sorry to hear the bad news. Prayers sent.

gonefishie

Commander

One of my colleage's niece didn't make it earlier this week. She was 21 yrs old and lived in Florida.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Thoughts and prayers out Art.

I am curious how this developed for both the gonefishie connection and this one . . . Do either of you know details? Healthy before? They both are/were young and I just don't understand how it spirals out of control so fast :confused: Maybe it wasn't fast . . .

aspeck

Staff member

Kevin, Nate had been sick for about a week and a half ... strong, tough, young guy, overweight, asthma problems when he was younger, but not so much the last 15 years. Wednesday it was just too much for him and he went in for x-rays (mom is x-ray tech at local hospital). There was slight pneumonia in his left lung and Dr. prescribed some antibiotics. Later tests showed H1N1 apparent cause of pneumonia.

Anyway, Thursday night (around midnight) his friend comes home to find Nate face down on the living room carpet sucking rug fibers. Calls 911 and mother, who calls me. First x-rays at hospital show near "white-out" in his lungs. In just over a day it went from a little fluid in left lung to both lungs filled and spitting up blood.

Still not much change in his condition, but his SpO2 went from 20% last night to 60% today ... so for that we are grateful.

So, Kevin, yes, basically healthy, to flu symptoms, to pneumonia symptoms, to near unconscious/non-responsive in the course of 2 weeks, but the last stages happened in 2 days.

QC

Supreme Mariner

So a secondary infection out of control. We almost lost Mrs. QC to Toxic Shock Syndrome 10 years ago. A fast spreading bacterial infection is tough stuff regardless of the cause . . . Great that there are signs of improvement!!

aspeck

Staff member

So a secondary infection out of control. We almost lost Mrs. QC to Toxic Shock Syndrome 10 years ago. A fast spreading bacterial infection is tough stuff regardless of the cause . . . Great that there are signs of improvement!!

Only difference is this is a viral infection ... neither are fun to deal with when they get this advanced. Heading to the hospital in a few minutes - about 45 minutes away. Hopefully take the family out to dinner to give them a different scene than the hospital walls. Be back later this evening with hopefully a good report.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I thought Pneumonia was bacterial and in this case would be secondary to the viral (HINI). But since you corrected me I looked it up, indeed Pneumonia can be either viral or bacterial. Now I'm even more confused . . .

You're a good guy Art, tell the family we're all thinking/praying about him.

gonefishie

Commander

QC, all I know is that she contracted h1n1 and was healthy before and her fight didn't lasted long. Some might say that it's hysteria and there's truth to that. This bug is meaner then the normal flu because unlike the normal flu, a healthy immune system is no match for it.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Art - Prayers are being said and will continue to for you, Nate and everyone else involved. Please post updates as you know.

aspeck

Staff member

Okay, the skinny now is the docs are saying he did not have the flu ... H1N1 or any other viral flu. So, what caused the pneumonia????? They do not know, but have him in a positive pressure isolation unit ... family only, and except for mom and dad, who have been exposed already, everyone else is where protective suits and scba (self contained breathing apparatus). They are baffled at this point.

The good news is, there have been improvements to his vitals. BP is still low and erratic, but better than before, pulse rate is DOWN to about 120, oxygen saturation levels are up from 20% to 80%. His lungs are still "white out" condition, but improvements are being seen. Thanks for your prayers. The doc shock his head yesterday and said, "Someone must be praying because we don't know what to do to attack whatever it is." He is still not out of the woods yet, and there is concern that if he makes it there could be brain damage because of the low oxygen levels, but God can and does heal, and we are believing for a complete recovery for Nate.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

I glad to hear of some improvement, prayers really do work, Last year I almost lost my wife after surgery she lost her blood pressure and it hovered around 45/20 for nearly a day after surgery, they did not expect her to pull through but after 51 days in the hospital and long rehab she doing fine. Keep praying and take care of yourself........Ted

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Just curious Aspeck, but did your friend get a flue/swine flue shot recently?

Glad to hear he's doing better. Good luck.