Evinrude Year and Model??? I have a picture

ORTONIC

Cadet
I need help I got an evinrude motor and the guy didn't know the year, HP, or anything. I think its a 70's motor but the plates are all gone and I have nothing to go off of except two numbers on the pull start and the sprocket for the pull start but they are meaningless. Is there any other way I can find out? the numbers from the pull start stuff are 315840 m and 384279 it also has electric start

Attachments

• redu.jpg
    redu.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Year and Model??? I have a picture

I need help I got an evinrude motor and the guy didn't know the year, HP, or anything. I think its a 70's motor but the plates are all gone and I have nothing to go off of except two numbers on the pull start and the sprocket for the pull start but they are meaningless. Is there any other way I can find out? the numbers from the pull start stuff are 315840 m and 384279 it also has electric start

Assuming the hood hasn't been swapped (a possibility), you have a 1970 18 or 25hp motor. So, you are saying that both the serial number plate on the stern bracket and the round disk on the powerhead are missing? Not surprising the guy didn't know anything. You know of course, that probably means it is a stolen motor. Those things didn't both just fall off. What I can't tell you is how long ago it was stolen or who stole it.

ORTONIC

Cadet

Hey thanks for your help, ha ha kinda scary about it being stolen:eek:, but is there a way to distiguish the 18 from the 25

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

By the freeze plug, as F_R pointed out.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Interesting. The hood was completly different in '71...

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Hey thanks for your help, ha ha kinda scary about it being stolen:eek:, but is there a way to distiguish the 18 from the 25

The 18, 20 (Johnson), and 25 are all similar. The power differences come from different combinations of pistons, cylinder heads, crankshaft, and carburetor. Unfortunatly, they all look alike and you would have to tear it apart and compare parts. Even when torn apart, they look alike unless you are a real expert.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The 25hp carb is noticably larger than the 18hp carb. I have both in the garage right now. But I don't have the 20hp carb though so don't know about it.