76 Glasstron Tri Hull Resto Project

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 76 Glasstron Tri Hull Resto Project

Not really pics of the boat, but since ya asked and I've got 100's. I wanted that truck as my new tow rig but Elly wouldnt let me, LOL

Attachments

• IMG_1025.jpg
    IMG_1025.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1193.jpg
    IMG_1193.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1405.jpg
    IMG_1405.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 0

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry, This truck is what I wanted. So ya think it'd pull the Glasstron?:D

Attachments

• IMG_1525.jpg
    IMG_1525.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tallcanadian

Captain

Your pictures are fabulous. I really enjoy the scenes. Awesome.

woosterken

Lieutenant

santo,
dont know what part of chicago your in,but i had a semi painted by these people,they used imron,you mite beable to get your paint from them,and tips on its use.
just google them for a map of their location
truck city of gary inc.
2333 west 25 th ave
gary in.46404
219-977-0083

woosterken

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

santo,
dont know what part of chicago your in,but i had a semi painted by these people,they used imron,you mite beable to get your paint from them,and tips on its use.
just google them for a map of their location
truck city of gary inc.
2333 west 25 th ave
gary in.46404
219-977-0083

woosterken

Thanks for the tip. Once I get far enough along to paint/restore gelcoat (I havent decided yet) I'll need a good resource like that.

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have'nt had much time to get a lot done on the boat lately :( but I was able to get my engine stand built :) Hopefully life will start to calm down a bit and I will be able to get out to the boat and take some more pics this weekend or next. I've been getting my fix checking out everyones posts, great work guys! Here are a few pics of the stand.

Attachments

• IMG_2463.jpg
    IMG_2463.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2464.jpg
    IMG_2464.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2465.jpg
    IMG_2465.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2466.jpg
    IMG_2466.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 0

travelship

Cadet

Woo Hoo!! Somebody else working on a T-156 like mine. I'll be watching this thread closely, as I'm about to start work myself. I'm particularly interested in seeing how to take the cap off. The rub rail doesn't go around the rear corners, do we have to cut the top of the transom/splashwell? I read jcscercsa's thread, but I don't think it was real clear. Here are some pics of mine.

IMG_8851.jpg

IMG_8845.jpg

IMG_8881.jpg

redfury

Commander

5 stringers in there :eek: My 17 ft 'tron only has 3... You'll have to remove the aluminum trim from across the back after removing the rub rail to remove the cap of your boat. It's really not all that hard to do. The most difficulty you'll run across on almost any fiberglass boat is breaking the bond between the cap and the actual transom. A sawzall will make quick work of that. I weakened the bond with a sawzall and used an automotive floor jack on the inside of the splashwell ( with proper load distribution panels ) and slowly jacked it up. The idea is to put some pressure upwards on the cap and continue to weaken the bond until it pops free. After that, it's just a matter of getting the cap off however you plan to do that part. I built a contraption, others use 2x4s and a few people to walk it off the boat, others just move it forward if they can ( usually on enclosed bows only due to the front seating of an open bow ).

travelship

Cadet

Sorry, not trying to 'jack the thread, but I figure this is relevant because I have the same boat.

5 stringers in there My 17 ft 'tron only has 3...

The fiberglass stringer structure in mine is actually strong and in good shape, though the wood inside is rotted. The problem was the braces between the stringers and the cross pieces that rest on top of the stringers (supporting the deck) were not encased in 'glass, and had completely rotted and disintegrated along with some of the deck. Looks to me like the 'glass work at the factory was focused on quick rather than quality.

You'll have to remove the aluminum trim from across the back after removing the rub rail to remove the cap of your boat. It's really not all that hard to do. The most difficulty you'll run across on almost any fiberglass boat is breaking the bond between the cap and the actual transom.

Is there a joint under the aluminum trim like under the rub rail, or is the cap 'glassed to the hull there?

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Woo Hoo!! Somebody else working on a T-156 like mine. I'll be watching this thread closely, as I'm about to start work myself. I'm particularly interested in seeing how to take the cap off. The rub rail doesn't go around the rear corners, do we have to cut the top of the transom/splashwell? I read jcscercsa's thread, but I don't think it was real clear. Here are some pics of mine.

Wow, except for your deck and stringers everything else looks to be in really good shape. Looking at your deck tore out in those pics just makes me cringe. I'm pretty sure I lucked out on the transom and/or stringer rot. Got my boat from one owner (my fiancee's grandfather) and it spent its life in the desert. I've knocked around alot on the deck and have done a close up inspection (aka rolling around pulling out the interior and stuff) and it seems solid, sounds solid, and doesnt have any give or soft spots whatsoever.

I like the looks of your boat, love the blue. Mine is more of a creamsicle orange color.

Best of luck on the restoration! I'll keep an eye out for how your doin.

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So finally after a whole month of not being able to get out to the boat I made some headway today. I figured out the steering wheel removal process...finally. I went down to Auto Zone and rented a puller thinking that the wheel was on some sort of keyed or taper shaft and need to be pulled off. Well I cranked that sucker so hard that I thought the wheel was gonna explode across the room, hmmmmm something wasnt quite right. So I got back under the helm and was looking at the steering column again, feeling around looking for what was keeping it on. When feeling the base of the steering column a chunk of crud knocked off, apparently 30 some years of black crud was concealing a retaining "C" clip, talk about an Ahhh Hahh moment. So I backed off the puller, popped the "C" clip, removed the 4 bolts holding onto the steering cable gear box, and presto it slid out like butter. The guys at Auto Zone got a good laugh outta that one. :D

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After the enlightening experience of pulling the steering wheel I got to work on removing the windshields and various trim pieces. I was having a hard time figuring out how to get the windshields out but from looking around on Iboats I read that they could be in a slide out track. Removed a few screws and couple of bolts and they indeed slid right outta the track. After 30 some years most of the bots are locked up tight so I was having a hell of a time getting them loose. Some genius decided to use 2 1/2" bolts, wayyyy to long when only going through some hardware and the glass and this made spinning the lock nut off all but impossible, especially when your up and under the inner gunwales. Well I found that if I applied some locking pliers to the bolt and got a good bite on the screw head the ol' Dewalt (Thanks Dad for the awesome birthday present) the drill would snap the heads right off and I could just pull the bolt threw.

I've still got a lot of stuff left to pull but making progress today felt good (aka Im sore from rolling around all day but its a labor of love)

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

5 stringers in there :eek: My 17 ft 'tron only has 3... You'll have to remove the aluminum trim from across the back after removing the rub rail to remove the cap of your boat. It's really not all that hard to do. The most difficulty you'll run across on almost any fiberglass boat is breaking the bond between the cap and the actual transom. A sawzall will make quick work of that. I weakened the bond with a sawzall and used an automotive floor jack on the inside of the splashwell ( with proper load distribution panels ) and slowly jacked it up. The idea is to put some pressure upwards on the cap and continue to weaken the bond until it pops free. After that, it's just a matter of getting the cap off however you plan to do that part. I built a contraption, others use 2x4s and a few people to walk it off the boat, others just move it forward if they can ( usually on enclosed bows only due to the front seating of an open bow ).

I'm not real fond of the idea of having to pop the cap if I can avoid it. I'm hoping to be able to get at the bots w/o popping the top but we'll see. I guess that would be an excellent reason to buy a sawzall though.

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here are a few pics of the inner bow seat wells. There is some pretty heavy cracking that has me concerned. Take a look and let me know if this is something to worry about.

Attachments

• IMG_2629.JPG
    IMG_2629.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2630.JPG
    IMG_2630.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2644.JPG
    IMG_2644.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2643.JPG
    IMG_2643.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 0

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Near the bow on the port side the rub rail is sticking out some. you can see its retaining screws and its up off the hull about 1/2" Should I be able to just push it back into place or??? Whatcha think?

Attachments

• IMG_2645.JPG
    IMG_2645.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2646.JPG
    IMG_2646.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 0

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is a shot of that nasty C retaining clip on the base of the steering column. A shot of the helm after getting it all removed
A shot of the tricky slide out bracket for the windshield
A shot of what it looks like now.

Attachments

• IMG_2614.JPG
    IMG_2614.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2617.JPG
    IMG_2617.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2622.JPG
    IMG_2622.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2623.JPG
    IMG_2623.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 0

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is a shot of a nice ding in the port side stern area
A shot of chewed up plastic sleeve that goes over the steering cable. Any thoughts on how to fix that up besides replacing the whole cable?
A shot of some hair line gelcoat cracks around the rail bracket.
A shot of the chunk missing from the cavatation plate. Ya think this will be a problem??

Attachments

• IMG_2642.JPG
    IMG_2642.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2625.JPG
    IMG_2625.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2626.JPG
    IMG_2626.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2631.JPG
    IMG_2631.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 0

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Some shots of the rats nest and the trim pump. Plan on taking out all of that ASAP.
Shot of the dings in the keel

I've got her almost tore down. I'm planning on pulling the motor asap and getting off all the pieces/parts etc... Once I get all that done I'd like to focus on getting the engine running. Bought the SELOC Manual, I let my fiancee read her Vampire books as long as she lets me read my manuals. LOL!

Lemme know what ya guys think.

Attachments

• IMG_2617.JPG
    IMG_2617.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2653.JPG
    IMG_2653.JPG
    5.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2619.JPG
    IMG_2619.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 0

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A little before (Jan 9th) and today. I'd say my favorite difference is that today I actually was able to work with the heater off and the garage door open. Do ya see that bright light in some of the pics, yah I wasnt sure either, but its the Sun...havent seen it in so long I almost forgot what it looked like. So, it got up to almost 4o degrees today !!!! Gotta love winter (Spring is on its way) in Chicago!:D

Attachments

• IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_1770.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1772.jpg
    IMG_1772.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2651.JPG
    IMG_2651.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: