1963 75hp evinrude starts wont idle

thehammer60

Recruit
I am extremely frustrated and in dire need of some assistance. for a course of 2 years i have been rebuilding this motor down to replacing most of it. My problem now lies with being able to get the motor to idle correctly. With help of an outboard Evinrude manual, I have managed to get the motor to start and as following instructions and various part store clerks help, still idling is near impossible. can someone with real experiance assist me with what I am probably doing wrong? And if in Sacramento CA area, possibly meet etc. to show me where the error may be located? PO and frustrated for a ole fisherman all suggestions and help greatly appreciated.

coolguy147

Commander
Re: 1963 75hp evinrude starts wont idle

check compression if compression is bad then no use in rebuilding the motor

freddyray21

Commander

start with the manual and do a link and synch on it. That motor as I think a distributor that needs to be linked with the throttle linkage. Beyond that they are not my type of motor so cannot be of more assistance.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

Make a list of the things you took apart or changed, the things you replaced, and the work you did on it. That will give us a reference to start from.

thehammer60

Recruit

Good afternoon oldrudedude. I have replaced the points, carberator etc. a complete tuneup and more. However, I got the motor to start just can not get it to idle correctly; following even the manuals instructions to synchronize. idling way to fast!!

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

Is that the problem? Idle is too fast? When I first read your post I though the problem was would not idle (without dying). What rpm is it idling at? Are you trying to get it to idle down on muffs or in the water? The final idle should be set with the motor in the water and in gear. The motor will idle high on muffs because there is not much back pressure on the exhaust and there is no resistance from the prop. If the carb is set up properly and you have done a link/synch, it could be idling high because of a vacumn leak. Lean fuel/air mixture and timing advanced too far will give fast idle.

If you are using muffs, use Joe Reeves timing method. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=228183

Give us more detail. Are you using an OEM manual or some other reference?