1987 Blue Fin S170 Rebuild

Shife

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1987 Blue Fin S170 Rebuild

The non-skid is still too soft to walk on, but I laid a few parts in to get a look at how it's shaping up.

IMG00202.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looks excellent, has a nice clean look to it(until you start catching slimy fish at least).

I do like how your splashwell is set up. Are those corners strong enough to stand on?

I'm going to look into making some sort of removable or permanent casting deck over my splashwell since my CMC bracket sets the motor back and leaves plenty of room.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

Looks excellent, has a nice clean look to it(until you start catching slimy fish at least).

I do like how your splashwell is set up. Are those corners strong enough to stand on?

I'm going to look into making some sort of removable or permanent casting deck over my splashwell since my CMC bracket sets the motor back and leaves plenty of room.

Thanks! I've used the Kiwi Grip before and it cleans well with a good stiff brush and some elbow grease.

The splashwell originally had some carpeted plywood pieces to stand on with a padded vinyl piece separating them. The wood completely fell apart when I lifted them off and the padded piece weighed about 40lbs full of mold and goo. I thought about making new pieces but there is plenty of strength there already and adding wood seemed foolish so I just taped out an area for the non-skid.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

Still have loose ends to finish up but she's going in the water tomorrow.

I'll post some pics tomorrow night.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You better....I'm still waiting to see that sweet front deck all done up.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

She's tied up and floating (last I checked) behind the house. I still have to finish a few items like the rod storage and green LED interior lighting. The micro switches for the hatch lights came in today. I still have to paint the under sides of the hatches and purchase/install latches for them. I ordered a 4 drawer tackle center to mount up at the bow so I can work on the last remaining wood bits tomorrow when it arrives.

Sorry I don't have better pics. I was having too much fun tracing weak spark on #2 due to a bad coil. Replacements should be here Friday.

IMG00206.jpg

IMG00211.jpg

IMG00209.jpg

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

Still lots to do. I'm not sure what to do about the tackle center I ordered. I like it, but my wife bought me a Cabela's XPG backpack style tackle bag and the tackle trays it uses are too big for the tackle center. The trays that came with the tackle center would fit in my new tackle bag, but they aren't as nice. I may have to send it back or try to sell it and look for one that fits standard Plano 3600 trays.

Before:

IMG00005.jpg

IMG00028.jpg

IMG00030.jpg

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

After:

IMG00221.jpg

IMG00220.jpg

IMG00219.jpg

IMG00218.jpg

IMG00217.jpg

IMG00222.jpg

I really should have been spending all this time, energy, and money improving my waterfront and putting in a dock and seawall, but as they say I'd rather be fishing. Still tons to do on the boat. I'll add pics as I finish the remaining projects.

Caught my first fish this year on her today! Nothing spectacular, but a decent northern pike. Had a smallmouth on the line but it jumped the hook before I got it to the boat. Taking my parents and MIL out on Sat as long as the weather holds.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like you did a great job. One thing that you still need to do... change the decal on the side... it looks like it is no longer a "fish n ski", but just a "fish" :)

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like you did a great job. One thing that you still need to do... change the decal on the side... it looks like it is no longer a "fish n ski", but just a "fish" :)

Yeah, I've always thought Blue Fin should have reversed their Sportsman and Fish & Ski badging. There isn't much "ski" in their Fish & Ski.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

The bow is pretty much finished off. I've decided to keep the tackle center I ordered even though it doesn't fit the tackle trays I use. The boat desperately needed storage for fishing gadgets and this works well for that. I have the trays it came with stowed away in the basement so I can always put them back in if I sell the boat. I hid the trolling motor wiring so it isn't in the way. Still lots to do, but the boat is definitely fish ready.

IMG00226.jpg

IMG00228.jpg

IMG00227.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Your fishing rig turned out great! Nice work. And apparently it works, got a bass it looks like. Lets see one of those monster pike too:)

It must be really nice to have it already in the water too. Very convenient. Do you have an auto bilge pump in case it rains? Or maybe just keep it covered?

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

Your fishing rig turned out great! Nice work. And apparently it works, got a bass it looks like. Lets see one of those monster pike too:)

It must be really nice to have it already in the water too. Very convenient. Do you have an auto bilge pump in case it rains? Or maybe just keep it covered?

Pike? Sure, no prob. A skinny 26 incher:

IMG00224.jpg

Yep, auto bilge pump. I don't have a cover for it and it gets used pretty much every day. I'm thinking about building a large T-top with removable Strataglass curtains for it.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

Nice job... cool fishing rig Shife. :cool:

There's heaps of bluefin boats around here, I wonder if it's the same company?

http://www.bluefinboats.com.au/

TII

Different company. Blue Fin was bought out by Brunswick here in the mid '80s and the brand name is no longer used.

The Blue Fins on your side of the marble appear very well made. There are some custom aluminum boat builders in the PNW here that would compare features and quality wise. Very expensive kit.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

The boat looks great. I just hope mine comes out half as good.

Triton II

Commander

Different company. Blue Fin was bought out by Brunswick here in the mid '80s and the brand name is no longer used.

The Blue Fins on your side of the marble appear very well made. There are some custom aluminum boat builders in the PNW here that would compare features and quality wise. Very expensive kit.

OK, thanks. Good info. There are a few plate alloy manufacturers within a few miles of where I live... the stand outs are TABS and Blue Fin. We need tough boats due to our boating area being full of shoals and choppy conditions most of the time. However, on the right day it's absolutely incredible... good luck with the final touchs, you've done a great job! :cool:

TII