1979 16' Starcraft SuperSport

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 1979 16' Starcraft SuperSport

Friggin' awesome Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Were there issues and that's all she had in her or were you just taking it slow? Either way you're definitely only some tweaking away from full power. Congrats!! So happy for you.

Thanks EZ:), the Merc is having issues at WOT so the video is basically 3/4 throttle...I agree some tweaking is required. Someone told me that it may not be getting enough air when wide open and that's why it bogs down.

It planes out nicely, handles great and doesn't leak much if at all:D

CheapboatKev SA-WEEEEEEEEEEEEEET Mike!!!!

Nice lil run ya had..But details!!???

How fast ya hit? Any issues? Bet you had a HUGE ol S.E.G on yer mug!!

Thanks Kev...I am one happy camper:D Not sure how fast, no gps and I forgot to bring my son's hotwheels speed gun with me LOL Probably 25-30 ballpark, I need a bigger lake now;)

Rickairmedic Mike thats awesome you got her out on the water already looks like she is gonna be a great ride after the resto .

Thanks Rick, great weather for November here I'm lucky to be taking her out at all. Not sure how much I'll be tackling this winter,, possibly just a transom rebuild nut we'll see:)

Huron Angler

Admiral

Hooking up the rig for the first time. She tows smoothly and doesn't feel too heavy, I cruised at 65mph for the 30 minute drive home and had no issues other than the starboard turn signal.
DSCF5008.jpg

She floats:)
DSCF5050.jpg

DSCF5012.jpg

DSCF5025.jpg

DSCF5026.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

My buddy Chris says I should keep the bow platform for fishing, I'd like to make it removable if I can.
DSCF5041.jpg

DSCF5029.jpg

DSCF5032.jpg

DSCF5033.jpg

DSCF5014.jpg

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Great pics Mike!
I tell ya, if that boat was down here, there would be no time to pull it off the water to restore..Looks good and I'd be on her every weekend!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd use the heck out of it till it gets cold. Then I'd consider doing nothing but the transom this winter and rebuild the carbs on the Merc. Use it for a season and you'll have a better idea what exact customizations you want to do with it.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Mike I agree with EZ I would do the transom on her this winter and maybe try to buff and polish the paint a little and run her as is for a season. Ok now for the question :D is your garage door slightly open or fully closed :D.

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

Mike I agree with EZ I would do the transom on her this winter and maybe try to buff and polish the paint a little and run her as is for a season. Ok now for the question :D is your garage door slightly open or fully closed :D.

Rick

LOL Rick we had it in backwards last night(motor by the door) and the dang thing fit with 1/16" to spare:D

But tonight after taking the family out on the Grand river thru Lansing the boat's in the right way and is 1/4" too long to get the door closed.

We'll have to move some shelving units that I had screwed into the wall(d'oh) and it'll fit:D

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

cool video Mike...

looked like a cold ride that day!

the merc sounded good, ROCK ON! yea it all works....

Is it bad I kinda like the swoop on the side and the color?

check ya later

Huron Angler

Admiral

Here's a video of the SS driving in circles on Park Lake, the Merc runs good but stalls at WOT and needs some work. I started running seafoam in her today so maybe that'll help clean her out a bit:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Here's a video of Lansing Michigan at night from the Grand river, not a bad cruise, but I did pass thru a 2' deep spot that concerns me running the longshaft Merc:eek: I had it trimmed up though and we floated thru:D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Great vids Mike..I was thinking Sea Foam may help ya..seemed to help blow out my inboard..

Love the lake at night...It must be pretty awsome being you right now! lol

Huron Angler

Admiral

Another video clip of Lansing at night...the little guys like riding on the SS:D:D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Great family memories you are building there Mike..I picture the lil ones watching these vids one day and thinking how cool their old man is...

Nice to have a cinemaphotographer on board!:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Great family memories you are building there Mike..I picture the lil ones watching these vids one day and thinking how cool their old man is...

Nice to have a cinemaphotographer on board!:D

Thanks for the kind words Kev...I have to agree, but just in case they(or I) don't remember each trip we can watch some vids when it's snowing out and reminisce LOL :D

These clips are from my little Fuji 8MP regular digital camera.

We have a nice Sony high-res video camera with excellent zoom and a internal 40GB hard drive for longer trips, that I may bring on the boat for some GREAT footage but Roslynn will kill me if I drop it in the drink:eek:

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

WOW! Mike, That looks great...... was it cold out there. I am happy to see you finally brought her home and got to take it for a ride before the big freeze.:D
I agree with the others just do what is necessary for the first season and enjoy it, then do the rest next winter.:)

86 century

Ensign

In the vid are you any where near Ohmars or the lansing center.

Huron Angler

Admiral

WOW! Mike, That looks great...... was it cold out there. I am happy to see you finally brought her home and got to take it for a ride before the big freeze.:D
I agree with the others just do what is necessary for the first season and enjoy it, then do the rest next winter.:)

Thanks Jim...I agree I would like to add a fishfinder, marine band radio, kicker bracket for my 5.5hp Johnson, two more seats(since I have 4 pedestal bases already) and a few minor things for next spring.

Then I will think about livewells, rod/ski lockers, belly gas tank, etc.

It was unseasonably warm this past weekend, in the 50s for the most part:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

In the vid are you any where near Ohmars or the lansing center.

LOL we zipped right past the Lansing Center and Michigan ave prior to turning around(there's a fish ladder/dam dowriver a bit that I don't want to tangle with;)) and on the way home from the launch my buddy asked if we were going to swing by Omar's LOL:D

BTW still working on that pic of my doe...

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Cool...who took the video... Pops?

Did ya get any fishin in or just tooling around?

Huron Angler

Admiral

Cool...who took the video... Pops?

Did ya get any fishin in or just tooling around?

We casted a few spinner baits and daredevils since we had marked a few nice fish but no hits. It's pretty cold and the fish are likely inactive at best :)

My dad will be down this weekend to check out the rig and go for a ride...my fishin' buddy Chris was on camera duty in the windy bow, he's a trooper LOL