Turbo Honda ENGINE for I/O

steddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Turbo Honda ENGINE for I/O

And just what makes you think that ????

Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one. Do you have ANY kind of real data to support your opinion?

If I recall correctly, Yamaha rated tops in outboard engine reliability, and Toyota was the top rated brand for automotive reliability. I'm sure Honda rated pretty well in both categories, but they're nowhere near the level you seem to think they are. Yamaha tried to get into the I/O market about 10 years ago. Their outdrive effort lasted 2 or 3 years at the most I think before they quit selling them.

EDIT: Heres the 2008 outboard rankings:

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pdf/2008021.pdf

Edit again;

Honda tied for 6th in the 2009 "Powertrain Reliability" rankings. They tied with BMW, Hyundai, Lincoln, Mercury, Porsche, and Suburu. The top 5 (tied) were Toyota, Lexus, Jaguar, Infiniti, Buick and Acura (expensive Honda).

In overall dependibility the top 5 were Buick, Jaguar, Lexus, Toyota and Mercury. Honda and Acura were both down the list tied for 6th with 4 or 5 other brands.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/rating...and/sortcolumn-2/descending/page-#page-anchor

They shouldn't rate the reliability of brand new cars. They should only rate the reliability of cars or any other products that have been around for 10 years or more. Any brand new car that starts the first time you turn the key is 100% reliable. Those reliability ratings are a joke.

longstand

Petty Officer 1st Class

excuse me. sorry for my grammar, spelling, punctuation mark. period...

English is not my first language.. my third.

for a person that speak 3 language is not that bad at all..

how many do you speak..

LOL.. but no.. really i think iam doing preaty good.

and your opinion about my writing is true. its really frustrating fixing my grammer. its my biggest problem....

But in other hand.. HONDA IS THE BEST.. at lest for me. and million others..

45Auto

Commander

steddy said:
They shouldn't rate the reliability of brand new cars.

LMAO!!!

You should at least read about what the survey is measuring before making inane comments!

If you had paid any attention at all to it you would have known that it is a survey of original owners of 3 year old cars.

JD Powers said:
The study, which measures problems experienced by original owners of three-year-old (2006 model year) vehicles, has been redesigned to include 202 different problem symptoms across all areas of the vehicle. Overall dependability is determined by the level of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100), with a lower score reflecting higher quality.

The 2009 Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from more than 46,000 original owners of 2006 model-year vehicles. The study was fielded in October 2008.

steddy said:
Those reliability ratings are a joke.

I suppose you have better information? Please inform us if so.

I would be more inclined to believe that your post is a joke ......

steddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LMAO!!!

You should at least read about what the survey is measuring before making inane comments!

If you had paid any attention at all to it you would have known that it is a survey of original owners of 3 year old cars.

I would be more inclined to believe that your post is a joke ......

I read the report. I also read about all (or lack of) the problems the "Long Term Test Cars" experience in Popular Mechanics every month. I also read Car and Driver every now and then. VERY rarely is older vehicle reliability mentioned or studied anywhere else then in the Chevy and Ford pickup truck commercials. Ask a tow truck driver which cars are least reliable.

It must be nice to be able to afford a brand new car every 3 years. To me, any car 3 years old or newer is a new car. Being in the lower middle class all my life, I've never been able to afford a car newer than about 7 - 10 years old. Those surverys from people that only have 3 year old cars mostly with less than 75,000 miles don't do me any good. If I could afford to buy a brand new car, maybe I'd consider the opinions of JD Power and Associates. In the mean time, I'll keep my ears open for the stories of vehicles that have run over 500,000 miles. While few and far between, to me those are the most reliable vehicles on the road.

Sorry for the miscommunication, idiocy, or whatever you want to call it.

Edit: I sure am sorry for expressing an opinion. I'll never do it again... After this one: I say if anyone wants to try and build a turbo Honda engine powered I/O, go for it. Until that happens, everything here is just speculation.
I agree - A lot of people thought the Wright brothers were crazy until their idea actually worked.

longstand

Petty Officer 1st Class

I read the report. I also read about all (or lack of) the problems the "Long Term Test Cars" experience in Popular Mechanics every month. I also read Car and Driver every now and then. VERY rarely is older vehicle reliability mentioned or studied anywhere else then in the Chevy and Ford pickup truck commercials. Ask a tow truck driver which cars are least reliable.

It must be nice to be able to afford a brand new car every 3 years. To me, any car 3 years old or newer is a new car. Being in the lower middle class all my life, I've never been able to afford a car newer than about 7 - 10 years old. Those surverys from people that only have 3 year old cars mostly with less than 75,000 miles don't do me any good. If I could afford to buy a brand new car, maybe I'd consider the opinions of JD Power and Associates. In the mean time, I'll keep my ears open for the stories of vehicles that have run over 500,000 miles. While few and far between, to me those are the most reliable vehicles on the road.

Sorry for the miscommunication, idiocy, or whatever you want to call it.

Edit: I sure am sorry for expressing an opinion. I'll never do it again... After this one: I say if anyone wants to try and build a turbo Honda engine powered I/O, go for it. Until that happens, everything here is just speculation.
I agree - A lot of people thought the Wright brothers were crazy until their idea actually worked.

dont get mad. its just my little idea.. iam not rich. but so far i have 4 new cars. seens i lost my job. my favorite car to drive is my GEO metro. i actually get 41MPG.. to be honest with you guys. iam starting to love this geo metro. i mean. its slow. really really really slow. but ones it gets going. it just keep running.. iam thinking of buying another GEO METRO to save money and save the plannet..

i think iam going GEO.

P.S. dont want to upset anyone. but.. What about GEO METRO for a Boat? maybe a small boat. little tiny boat that only seat 2 people and a baby chair? what you think of that.

GO GO GEO

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

You seem to want to put a square peg in a round hole (which, like the engine theory, is possible but not practical). If you like these cars so much, don't put the engine in the boat, put the boat in the engine. Go design hulls around your existing cars--a fast Honda; a commuter Geo.* Since the floating Connestoga wagon, it has been a pet project for decades.

*P.S. It's called a jonboat--someone beat you to it.

45Auto

Commander

Sorry if I upset you by disagreeing with you. I wasn't raised in the "everyone's got to feel good about their self" style. Feel free to disagree with me on anything, I'll be glad to change my opinion if you have any kind of actual data that supports your position.

There's a big difference between what the Wright's did and putting a particular model of an engine into a boat. The Wright's were the first ones to use an aluminum crankcase for their motor (along with a couple of other things dealing with aerodynamics), which allowed their airplane to have a power-to-weight ratio high enough to actually fly.

People have been sticking car engines into boats for over 100 years now. They've been sticking turbocharged engines into boats (based on car, airplane, and specially designed boat motors) for 80 years or so. It's very easy to look up the performance of an existing Honda (or Geo or whatever) motor and compare it to something wih a very similar power curve already in a boat. The boat doesn't know what brand of engine is in it. Horsepower and weight work the same way no matter what name is on the valve covers. There is nothing to speculate about, the performance is already known. You're not moving into the unknown like the Wrights. To use an analogy from the era of the Wright's, what you're talking about doing is no different than swapping horses pulling a cart. You know the performance of the horse on one cart, you can pretty easily predict his performance on the other cart.

I'll keep my ears open for the stories of vehicles that have run over 500,000 miles. While few and far between, to me those are the most reliable vehicles on the road.

High mileage on a vehicle doesn't necessarily have anything to do with reliability. If they like the vehicle enough, anybody can keep replacing parts as they break or wear out to keep it going.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I gotta say, when you talk about putting a Honda engine in a boat, the hull style that come to my mind would be a 18-20 bowrider runabout. You cannot compare the performance of a Honda engine in a Jetski (Waverunner) to the performance of an 18' runabout. Weight is a huge difference, and like was stated, the torque is not there.

BTW, do you know how a Turbo works? They are power by the exhaust, therefore they take a little time to spool up under load. Pushing an 18-20' runabout boat through the water to get on plane would be like driving a full size pickup towing about 6-8K lbs. You will have a 1.5 to 2 sec delay in the turbo spooling then the power release. That would be a bit of plowing before plane is obtained.

Superchargers are alot more common for fast spoolup and are seen on Go fast boats...

Can your idea be done, a Honda Engine in a boat, sure. Two questions though, 1. Will it perform like to expect it to, I dought it. 2. Will it be reliable? It depends on how well you can prtoect it from the elements. Boats get wet, very wet and water and a TON of electronics and computers do not mix. I dought it will be very reliable over time...

madgadget

Petty Officer 1st Class

The way to cure the turbo boost threshold problem is to fit nitrous on it as well.. :>

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would say almost any motor configuration is possible. It may not be a good, cheap or powerful option but still doable. Many years ago, they used to power 20ft Harker Island juniper skiffs with 2 cylinder air cooled Wisconsin engines. They were extremely heavy boats that carried heavy loads and would still plane. They were designed for commercial fishing. I have had adapters made for different diesel engines to be coupled with velvet drives. Then again, not cheap.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cars as boats, head down to S. FLA to work with the masters.

Classic Chevy boat with capacity for atleast 10 guys.
truck_starboard.jpg

Taking the Buick out for a spin.
buick.jpg

Taxi ! 1949 MERCruiser
mercury.jpg

Brought to you by the good folks at http://www.floatingcubans.com/

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

Exellent idea - instead of marinizing the engine, why not to marinize the whole car :)

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

having worked at a honda dealership I can say they aint all they are cracked up to be.they have just as many problems as any north american built vehicle and are 3 times more expensive to fix.BTW the honda Fit engine is used in their 90 hp outboard.on a different note,having owned 2 geo metros the 1liter 47 hp motor would make a great motor, for a 12 ft. tinny

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

One application where a Honda car engine WOULD work well is a jet boat. I've seen plenty of similar engines in jet boats, probably some turbo honda engines out there. Jetboats present quite a different load than a regular IO. With a jet drive, you can carefully match the power requirements of the jet to the engine by changing a couple pieces. And that load requirement will not change much, if at all, with the weight in the boat or the speed you are going.

It also makes it much safer to run a turbo engine, you can make sure the load from the jet at WOT is still within a reasonable load value on the engine. I know there is a twin turbo Nissan powered jetboat on youtube, the engine is amazing to look at, and the sound of the twin turbos with nothing blocking the turbine inlet is amazing!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

having worked at a honda dealership I can say they aint all they are cracked up to be.they have just as many problems as any north american built vehicle and are 3 times more expensive to fix.BTW the honda Fit engine is used in their 90 hp outboard.on a different note,having owned 2 geo metros the 1liter 47 hp motor would make a great motor, for a 12 ft. tinny

Consumer reports and various other testing organizations tend to disagree. In recent years American mfg's have caught up some, but still tend to lag substantially behind in overall reliability, and even more in engine related issues. I've also found wrenching on Japanese cars is VASTLY easier than american. I can tear down about 90% of the parts on my subaru with 2 sockets, a 10 and 12 mm. (And the subaru is my first import, i've owned 100% american prior to that)

longstand

Petty Officer 1st Class

talking about fast engine from famous car..

I friend of my have a RB20 or RB22 Engine that he has remove from his older car..

he said he will sell that engine to me.. i think for 2k

its only single turbo engine.

that engine is rear will drive. which mean it will be a lot easy-er if i try this experiment. if i ever do!!

i think it will work.. I know it will not be so good on a cabin heavy cruiser. but i believe it will work on a 18' or 17'

... also for the geo engine. 1.0l. it will work perfect for long trip on a small boats with little loads. think of all the gas you will be saving.. hmm sound and nice to think about......

P.S
45Auto.. i like the way you type. its very clear, teach me how to write. LOL. it must be nice to just type without worrying about how it will come out .. every time i write anything. i have to double check ....very frustrating. but its a learning progress. i guest this forum is good for me. heheheheheh:eek::D:cool::confused:;):eek:

Lil' Johnson

Seaman Apprentice

Toyota made a wakeboard boat for a few years that had the 32 valve overhead cam v8 from the lexus in it, but I heard there were too many warranty issues so they stopped production. Oh and by the way, I think that lexus is the most reliable car in America, preceded by toyota for like 15 years or something like that. My point is that while Toyota makes reliable cars, they did not make a reliable boat. Apples and Oranges man.

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

Boat theoretically can not be reliable.
"If nothing has broken in your boat yet, it is about to":)