Timid but determined Glasstream restoration

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: Timid but determined Glasstream restoration

Hello All,
Thanks for all the kind words. I really appreciate them.
As for the plans for the bottom, I was just thinking of filling in the scrapes and gouges. Re-gelcoat in those areas and sand and buff to original color. Which is a real light Grey. Who knows, by the time I get finished, I may change the entire thing. :p
The base color I'm planning to leave, but the graphics will be totally different.
Attached are a couple short Video's of the donor engine and outdrive. Sorry about the quality. Just click on the pic's.

I used my cell phone to tape it. Not very good.
Thanks again all.
Bob

sprintst

Commander

Well it got flipped :)

That donor motor sounds great as well.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey sprintst,
Thanks.
Yep, it's flipped and what an experience it was.
Thanks again
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

That is one heck of a score on the donor boat. The outdrive is worth that much. Nice work as usual Bob.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

keep up the good work Bob!!!!

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Nice Job on the flip Bob. After reading about all the flips on here that is the way they all seem to go! But hey, you got it flipped and your onto the next chapter:)

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hello all,
Thanks again for all the comments.
Frisco, Glad to see you are still hanging around.
I managed to slip home again this weekend but I know I won't next weekend, but hey, I'll take what I get.
Didn't get as far as I wanted on the boat, things just seem to take longer then planned.
I decided to was the hull before I did anything, to make sure I didn't miss anything.
I built my stands and got the boat off the trailer. The stands worked really good too.
0725101625a.jpg

I can raise and lower it easy now with one floor jack and it's really stable.
Here is a pic of the trailer, I need to redo the fenders, steps and then repaint her. I also need to find someone around here to sandblast the thing.

0725101626.jpg

After washing her down I got a really good look at her and the bottom is better then I expected I have several pace i need to fill and several more that just need gel coated. Here are a few pic's.
This is the stern from a busted bunk. It's pretty deep but not all the way through the glass. I didn't see it when I put the new transom in.
0725101623.jpg

This next on is just above the same area but on the bottom.
0725101624.jpg

This next one is where I cut through the hull during the demo.
0725101625.jpg

Then this last one of the bow. People really need to learn how to load a boat.
0725101624b.jpg

Now I'm back into the question, Do I just do spot repairs sand and buff the rest back to original or paint the whole thing or gel coat the entire boat?
The current color is a very light Grey and blue. I really want the base color to be White for the new color scheme. Not sure what I'm going to do for now.
Any input greatly appreciated.
Take care all.
Bob

redfury

Commander

Gel is going to be the hardest and most durable, a good paint like Imron or whatever your favorite brand of paint is going to hold up just fine if you do the proper prep work on it.

It sounds like you plan to paint part of the boat anyway, why not just go with paint and be done with the decision and get to work! :p

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey redfury,
Thanks for the input. I will continue with the prep work as if I knew what I was doing. :p
I also know that gel coat will be the most work but I really like the durability of it.
I also like the looks of a lot of the boat that have used roll and tip method.
The great thing or bad is I have a couple of weeks before I get back home and then whatever time it takes to prep.
Thanks again for the input, I really appreciate it.
Take care.
Bob

sprintst

Commander

I wish I had some gel coat skills as that stuff rocks. If I wasn't doing a tinny then that is the way I would have gone.

I'd offer up some free sandblasting as I could get the guy that will be doing my trailer to do yours too but you are a bit of a haul from here :)

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey sprintst,
Thanks, it would be a bit of a haul to get it there. Hummmmmmm, Road trip.:D:D
I'm almost always up for a good road trip, but not this time.
Take care
Bob

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bob,

Looking good on the flip. Keep an eye on my thread and I'll have pics up from this weekend. I was planning on matching the gel color to repair, but you'll see how that came out:redface:

I got a pressure pot sprayer today and have 2 gal of bright white gel on the way now:) I am sticking with gel, for the durability as well. Figured I could trade some sweat equity for a much tougher surface than any paint I could afford.

Good luck,
Terry

BobsGlasstream

Commander

tdrudd87,
I will be sure to see how yours comes out. I already have 2.5 gallons of bright white gelcoat too but it was for the deck. I'm still undecided on what I'm going to do.
Thanks Again
Bob

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bob, pics of my misadventure are up. I had heard one of the guys doing a CC say he used less than a gallon on the deck, not sure if he was rolling or spraying. I hope to get my gel this week, if so I should shoot this weekend and you can see how that turns out. No promises though:D

Were you planning on rolling or spraying?

Terry

BobsGlasstream

Commander

tdrudd87,
I just saw your work on your thread. Looks like we are both starting down the same path.
As for the spraying or rolling I would like to spray but I don't have a compressor large enough to spray. With woodworking hobbies I don't need a lot of air. but I'm now looking for a suitable air compressor. I look for any reason to buy a new tool. Drives the wife nuts.:p:D:p
I also don't want to thin the gelcoat, so if I spray I will have to find a regular gelcoat gun. :cool:
Well, good luck with your project.
Bob

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey Bob! Looks like we are on similar tracks with the donor boat deal, engine transplant. I am really looking forward to seeing you put this girl back together!

Cheers Man!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

jasoutside,
Thanks for stopping in.
I will have to go back and read some more of your thread to see what I have missed. Are you going with the 4.3L Mercrusier?
I will really be glad to get this bottom done and the boat flipped back over. I really want to get started on the interior. I no I still have a lot of work before I get to that point, but I'm getting closer.
Thanks again for stopping in.
Take care
Bob

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

jasoutside,
Thanks for stopping in.
I will have to go back and read some more of your thread to see what I have missed. Are you going with the 4.3L Mercrusier?
I will really be glad to get this bottom done and the boat flipped back over. I really want to get started on the interior. I no I still have a lot of work before I get to that point, but I'm getting closer.
Thanks again for stopping in.
Take care
Bob

Well Bro, you haven't missed anything with my driveline as nothing has happened yet, rats! Well except me cutting up everything that housed it.

And, yup - I'd be going the 4.3 V6 Merc Alpha I route too. Take good notes for me here on iboats on the yank and install, I'll get there someday!

Rock on!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey jasoutside,
Keep the faith man. You will get there along with the rest of us.
For future reference, Go to Don S. sticky in the Mercruiser forum, then to Miscellaneous Mercruiser info, Must have Tech info and then to Mercruiser Installation drawings. You can find all the dim. to mount the engine. Some very good info.
Good luck and I'll keep you posted.
Thanks
Bob

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hi Bob,
Just figured I would pop in and say Hi. Glad to see your plugging along. Bummer on the gouges