volvo penta problems {{{{H E L P }}}}

threequez

Cadet
Hello All...i Have A 31 Ft Baha Cruiser With Twin Volvo Penta V8 I/o's. Took Advantage Of The Last Warm, Beautiful Sunday Of The Season This Past Sunday And Took The Family For A Nice Ride....well Kind Of.
Engines Were Running Great When All Of A Sudden The Starboard Engine Cuts Sputters And Cuts Out. Put The Shifter Into Neuteral To Restart And Nothing...no Power At All On The Gauges And No Crank On The Engine...play With The Shifter A Bit And Suddenly Power...start The Engine Again And It Kicks Over...put It In Gear And It Runs For A Couple Of Mins. And Again Kicks Off...and Again The Same Issue With No Power But This Time.. The Shifter Is Not Shifting..it Gets Stuck Where I Cannot Put It In Forward...leave It For A Few Mins. And Try It Again And The Shifter Moves Freely But The Engine Will Not Kick Over...anyway We Limp Back To The Marina On One Engine Get It Tied Up And About A Half Hour Later I Check The Engine Again But This Time The Shifter Moves Freely And The Engine Kicks Over....i Have Been Having An Electrical Issue With This Outdrive With The Tilt Control...sometimes It Works And Sometimes It Doesn't...also Earlier That Day I Had Filled The Fuel Tanks Up For The First Time In 3 Months...could That Have Played A Part. I Am At A Loss On This One As I Don't Know Were To Begin To Look/check. Any Help Would Be Appreciated.

Jt

Maclin

Admiral
Re: volvo penta problems {{{{H E L P }}}}

Can you give the year and models of your engines and drives?

That is an odd combination of mechanical and elecrical symptoms. I know my VP shifter works hard if the drive is up very far when I forget myself sometimes, but you said this happened to you while cruising.

Post the details of your drives, hopefully someone with some experience along these lines can chime in.

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: volvo penta problems {{{{H E L P }}}}

Have you checked your Ign switch? I had a boat come in with the same sympoms. Down to wiggling the shift lever.
The Ign switch was bad, and the wiring harnes was attached to the shift cables. So moving the lever, moved the harness, sometimes allowed the faulty contacts to connect.