Constant Power To Volt Meter?

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
I have a situation where i'd like to install a volt meter & wire straight to battery- Would there be any drain on battery (no light) or any harm to meter?

dchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Constant Power To Volt Meter?

I would expect a small amount of drain. probably not enought to worry about. I think for someone to answer this better we need to know what type of volt meter you have. There are several different methods used for measurements.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I would expect a small amount of drain. probably not enought to worry about. I think for someone to answer this better we need to know what type of volt meter you have. There are several different methods used for measurements.

Its just a cheap auto style meter (not digital) -
I just want to have it in back of my deck boat with alligator clips to kind of keep a eye on my battery(s) condition :confused:
Was mostly concerned if i needed to be sure i disconected it from whatever battery it was on when i got home & parked it for a week, month or so :rolleyes:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Why not put a momentary push button on it. Push the button to see what you have and then let go. Anything electrical draws power. How much depends on the meter but it is simply silly to leave a voltmeter powered 100% of the time.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Why not put a momentary push button on it. Push the button to see what you have and then let go. Anything electrical draws power. How much depends on the meter but it is simply silly to leave a voltmeter powered 100% of the time.

Thought on that- Guess that would be the smart & simple thing to do :cool:

john from md

Commander

Here is a better idea. Put a cigarette lighter type power recepticle at your helm. You can use the in dash type or the under dash type. Now buy a digital voltmeter from Wally world. If you want to use a spotlight or battery charger, just pull out the voltmeter and plug it in.

The digital voltmeter draws such little voltage, it would take years of use to draw down your battery.

John

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Here is a better idea. Put a cigarette lighter type power recepticle at your helm. You can use the in dash type or the under dash type. Now buy a digital voltmeter from Wally world. If you want to use a spotlight or battery charger, just pull out the voltmeter and plug it in.

The digital voltmeter draws such little voltage, it would take years of use to draw down your battery.

John

Great ideal:D
I was planning on a cigarette lighter soon anyways & the thought of a spotlight for emergencies has entered my mind too -
That solves 3 things at once!

john from md

Commander

Don't forget to add a 20 amp fuse in the line to the recepticle. You can also run an inverter if you have need for one.

John