evinrude fleetwin 7.5 hp model 7524

elrod

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought this last night with a boat and trailer. I am extremely new to boating. I want to run the engine in a barrel of water. Is this safe? Is there a limit of how long to run it? Is there an issue because it won't be cruising through the water? I changed to hypoid oil on it this afternoon. It was rather creamy and greenish does that mean a little water and does it mean something serious?
I love my boat!

elrod

Seaman Apprentice
Re: evinrude fleetwin 7.5 hp model 7524

It was made in 1958.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You can run it in a barrel, just make sure water level is about 1/2 way up the exhaust housing. It is safe to do, just keep fresh, cool water in barrel. You can check shift operation, just don't rev past fast idle in gear, will push a lot of water out of barrel. Water in lower unit oil will turn it a creamy color. Keep a eye on it, you should change the seal washers on the screws when you change lower unit oil. Watch the exhaust outlet for water pump operation.

elrod

Seaman Apprentice

I've got to look a little closer but on that lower drain I didn't notice an o-ring but I did on the upper one. Maybe it leaks a little there. Thanks for the advice.

elrod

Seaman Apprentice

Dang, what do you mean when you say to watch the exhaust outlet for water pump operation?

Elbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

water should spray out of the exhaust port to indicate the water pump is working .Thats why the quy he said fill about 1/2 up the leg.There is a water intake on the lower .If the water pump is working properly you should see a spray of water coming out.If not don't run it long or it will over heat.If cooling properly ,you should be able to put your hand on the head of the engine.(where the spark plugs are)

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You should have flat nylon seal washers on the screws, if there is an o-ring that might be your problem. Sometimes the washers stick in the lower unit, just pry them out. Orginally they used a paper gasket, make sure there is not any type of gasket stuck in the screw hole. Coolant water will come out of the exhaust outlet on the exhaust housing, visual sign of water pump operation.

elrod

Seaman Apprentice

Might have an issue with this motor. I put it in a tank of water. The water level came to just below what I believe is the water outlet. The motor only ran for at most ten seconds and I stopped it but it seemed only a little steam or so came out of the water outlet. I sort of thought it would come almost instantly. Oh brother. Any ideas?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Ya gata give it time to pump water. Remove the cowling and start the engine. Hold your hand on the top of the cylinder head and wait a minute. The head will get warm, but you should be able to leave your hand there for a 3 count. You can run the engine for several minutes with out water pressure. If block gets to hot to touch, you need to replace the water pump.

elrod

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, Daviet. I will give it a better test tomarrow. I also need to learn how to adjust the high speed and low speed knobs, etc. It is hard to do all that, keep it running and worrying about wheather the water pump is pumping.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Lets make sure the water pump is pumping, then we can help with the carb adjustments.

elrod

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, here I go again. It looks to me like the water inlet is down by the propeller. The motor is on the boat and I don't want to take it off at this point. All my trash cans are too tall to get under the motor and stand up correctly. They are plastic. I have one of those aluminum pots that you cook turkeys in oil. If I leave the hose runnning into that pot, don't you think that would be ok to run this little motor in to find out if the water impeller is working ok?

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

The water pump itself needs to be submerged in water. It won't pick up a prime on its own. That's why the water needs to be half way up the leg. I like to see it up to the level of the lower mounts. The manual suggests removing the cover over the reverse water inlet. The rectangular cover with several holes in it on the left side of the lower unit above the cavitation plate. Although I've never found it necessary. Water should start coming out within a few seconds.

Do you know the history on this motor? Did the previous owner have receipts for any work done previously? If not you should probably assume that it'll need everything. Pull start cord, points condensers coils & plug wires, carb. kit and float, all fuel lines, connector o-rings, rebuild the tank, water pump, lower unit seals. The works. You can figure around $250 in parts for all of it.

These old motors can be every bit as reliable as a new one. But the responsibility for that reliability rests entirely on us. We can't expect consumables like rubber parts & nylon cords to last for 50 years. Good luck!

Cheers.....................Todd

elrod

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I am going to have a shot at it again, but, I didn't get it to pump water out the water outlet this first time. I had taken off the plate you referred to. I would say the water level was within 4 inches of the water outlet. I was able to maintain the engine running fairly well. I shut it off after probably one minute. I think I will see if taking my hose and forcing water up the inlet will get it primed or if it feels cooled off enough forcing it in the exhaust. I hear you about what it might take to make that engine right. I think it was maintained fairly well in its earlier life from what I can tell but since 2006 I imagine it was just used and a year and a half ago was parked in a shed then three months ago has been sitting outside. Maybe I would be better off looking for an engine. I just was intrigued by that old motor and the more I read about it it seemed rather cool. I like old stuff since I am getting old now.

elrod

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, I got a large trash can, made sure it was deep enough, I think, put my hose up to the inlet for a while while the can filled up. Now, I started it up and pretty soon water came sort of spraying out of that water outlet and it seemed like it was like exhaust was coming out of there also. Now it seems like I' ve seen this on other boat motors but not sure. On you tube I've seen this motor running on a boat in a lake and it seemed like it was just sort of peeing out the back end?

tacodads

Seaman Apprentice

It wont be peeing out, it will be spraying. I've got a "54" and it's a great motor. you don't need a newer one one. Ya just need to be alittle handy.
Enjoy it.

elrod

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you tacodads and everyone. Ok, I got to looking at my boat and I thought, waite a minute, If I lover the front a little bit, the rear end should go up higher. I did, it did and my plastic trash can fit. In five minutes it was full of water, I fired her up and almost instantly water spray that would't stop till I shut her down. NOW, I need help with the gas mixture, I think. I did a considerable amount of messing with low speed mixture cause I wanted it to idle fairly slow and smoothly. Ok, first of all I noticed that if I tried to let it idle with the throttle in the start position or slower, like in the shift position which I think you would want it to run good and smooth there, it would die and I would always have to choke it some to get it started. This was the case even after I feel it should have been warmed up to not need choking. I did not mess with the high speed mixture cause I didn't want to run the engine fast in that trash can. One more thing I noticed that every so often the engine will sort of jerk or hesitate like it had an occasional miss. This seemed to bring back memories of other boats I have been around. What say you about all this?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Now that you have made sure the water pump is working, lets work on the carb. The static setting for the low speed jet is all the way in, don't jam it against the seat, and back it out about 1 1/2 turns. By the way you are saying it is running, I would bet it is time to overhaul the carb. Usually when an engine spits at low speed, and opening the low speed jet doesn't cure it, the carb has varnish and or trash in it.

elrod

Seaman Apprentice

Daviet, are you referring to the low speed knob that is on the front of the motor or are you talking about something under the hood. I will need to figure out where it is located if the latter is the case.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The knob on the front should be attached to the jet.