Deep Vee Deadrise?

Blue Crabber

Ensign
Hey guys, just a quick question for you. At way degree deadrise do we consider a boat to be a "Deep Vee" style?

I am considering selling my boat and going with something different. The main reason is because of how the boat rides in rough water. My wife doesn't like it bouncing around so much. And I have to admit that it is a rougher ride than I thought it would be too.

Also, looking at a 1988 Wellcraft Classic 200 open bow boat with a carbed 5.0 Mercruiser in it. That is all I know right now. Anythoughts on this boat?

BF

Lieutenant
Re: Deep Vee Deadrise?

dunno if there is a particular deadrise angle, but I do know that "deep vee" is one of the most incorrectly used terms to describe a boat around here. Often used to describe aluminum fishing boats which have high gunwhales around the bow (=deep), and a pointy nose (vee)... these boats also usually have a flat bottom, or at most a "modified vee" hull. :rolleyes:

QC

Supreme Mariner

I consider 20 degrees as a must have for 18 - 25 footers if a smooth ride at speeds above 30 MPH is a requirement in moderate to severe chop. I can run 40 easy in 2 -3 footers with 23 ft. and 20 degrees. Scares the wife a little, but not like 16 degrees and 20 ft. :eek:

haulnazz15

Captain

I don't know that a specific deadrise angle has been specified, but I usually consider it to be 20 degrees or more deadrise at the transom.

robert graham

Admiral

My jon boat has a 6 degree deadrise back at the transom and it's a rough ride when there's any chop or swells at all. I had a Checkmate with 26 Degrees at the transom and it was a sweet ride in most any kind of water but it was a "speed/sport" type boat. If you want a smooth ride in rougher water look for 20+degrees of deadrise. Most sport/runabouts on the market now have smooth riding hulls. It all depends on where and how fast you want to go. Good Luck!

n2ostroker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would say anything over 20 would be a good ride. My Thompson is 24* and only an 18' hull. I can run through 18"-2' chop and it stays pretty stuck to the water. Might get a little rough but not too bad. It's even better when you keep the bow down. My bow has a real steep v too it and cuts right through the water when its rough.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Thanks for all the replies guys, appreciate the info!! I would like to mantain a fairly smooth ride in choppy water as that seems to be more the norm than not in the Chesapeake Bay. I will keep that in mind for the future.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Hey guys, just a quick question for you. At way degree deadrise do we consider a boat to be a "Deep Vee" style?

I am considering selling my boat and going with something different. The main reason is because of how the boat rides in rough water. My wife doesn't like it bouncing around so much. And I have to admit that it is a rougher ride than I thought it would be too.

Also, looking at a 1988 Wellcraft Classic 200 open bow boat with a carbed 5.0 Mercruiser in it. That is all I know right now. Any thoughts on this boat?
You will like the Wellcraft ride nice and dry and it will not beat you to death........

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Deep Vees are usually considered to be 18-22 degrees deadrise.

Chrysler made a boat with about 8-10 degrees deadrise and it was known as a "shallow vee."

sho3boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't forget a heavy I/O and more length in the water also helps. Most deep vees don't have a pad either, or much of one. They are slower on calm water. People up here like hulls like say a checkmate, they are a nice built vee that can cut some water yet still go pretty good and look nice...a compromise. Problem here is the great lakes, you can't run them very many days unless you have a capable boat. If you want a smoother ride on lake MI most days you need a 24' vee, the smaller the boat the less days you will want to be out there. And I've been in a 24' vee at 70mph on a large inland lake racing a guy and kept having to trim down to keep it in shape. Another issue with a big lake like lake MI is storms, I have run 50mph getting air back to port and others could not keep up. So I guess it depends a lot on your use; how big the water is, how often you go out, etc. Today I would not want a 24' to feed, or at least a 70+mph one.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Your 2-3' must be a heck of a lot different than ours.
Well maybe so, downwind they set up just right on the biggest lake basins I run in, no way into them though . . . I stand by it. Any bigger changes it, but the spacing can be just right to where she never hits the troughs. It's actually pretty dang fun.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Tell you what Brandon, if you want to save some money.....come down to Lake Clarke on a windy day and go for a ride on my boat. You will then appreciate your boat and not want a new one anymore :)

And what BF said above is so true.....

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

I don't want to hijack the thread, or ask a dumb question, but I am confused. Exactly what is deadrise?

I have been told a couple different definitions, and am just curious to exactly what this means and what it effects.

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

; i think they are talking ;
fggfgg.jpg

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

this one is showing 40 degrees of dead rise i dont know if that is correct though . ;
overlay.jpg

bekosh

Lieutenant

this one is showing 40 degrees of dead rise i dont know if that is correct though . ill have to physicly measure ;
You have your protractor upside down. You measure from a horizontal line at the keel up to the hull. I make that hull to be about 20?.

Attachments

• fggfgg.jpg
    fggfgg.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 0