Sandbars and ramps in Savannah GA area

chrishick

Seaman Apprentice
I've just relocated to the Savannah area and am anxious to get the boat out on the water. We have a 24' Crownline I/O and like to do a little cruising around and mostly hang out on a nice sandbar for the day. Any recommendations for a good sandbar?

I also need a good ramp to launch the boat from. I've checked out a few around town, but when all the trailers in the parking area are single axle I figure I should keep looking.

Thanks.

nlain

Commander
Re: Sandbars and ramps in Savannah GA area

I live South of Savannah and my first thing to say is, get charts, get gps maps and be careful until you learn the water. We have a 6 to 9 foot tide swing here and if you run up on a sand/mud bar on the out going tide you will be there for about 6 hours or more. I do not know the Savannah river but where I am there are sand bars you can get to about half tide on the out going and have plenty of time to enjoy, just be careful getting to them so you do not get aground. Many go out to the barrier islands to the beach on the inland side, we go out to the South end of Ossabaw or North end of St Catherines, they can get loaded at times, you have to back in to the beach and use both bow and stern anchors to hold the boat since you will be sitting crossways the current, if you get there early on the out going you will need to anchor so you can move the boat out as the tide goes out, or in as the tide rises. You definately do not want the stern out, water gets rough at times, you are also possibly on the ICW depending where you anchor, a few of the big boats that throw a 4 foot wake come through on plane and do not care about all the small boats at anchor. There is another member here that lives in or closer to Savannah and I think boats those waters, maybe he will see this and can give you some real knowledge on the waters you will be in. There is a ramp in Thunderbolt, go over the bridge and at the bottom turn, SeaRay dealer is there, I have never used the ramp and do not know anything about it other than it is there, that is also ICW. Welcome to Georgia, good luck to you, be careful and enjoy.

chrishick

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, already got my GPS charts and have been studying them. I'm used to going stern in and using two anchors so that's no big deal. I'm thinking I might find something on the inland side of either Hilton Head or Tybee.

I have to say, I had to look twice at the tide tables!! I'm from the Tampa Bay area and 2.5' or 3' is a big tide, normal is 1'-2'. When I looked at the tides arouind here I almost fell out of my chair!

nlain

Commander

Yes there is a large tide swing, you can run places at high tide that are above water at low tide. You also need to think of the outgoing flow of water when running and go where the flow goes because there could be a sand or mud bar around every turn in the river, half tide is the time to really be careful, the bars are close enough to the surface to hit but not see, as you learn the water you can read it and tell where some are. Watch out for crab traps, a lot of the floats are almost the color of the water and hard to see, they are difficult to get off a prop when the wire basket is wrapped around it, I know. There is a lot of water here to explore, there is also a lot of marsh grass and mud to look at, not a lot of that nice clean sand that you are used to, no clear water, all brown, no more seeing the bottom over maybe a foot or two when the water is really clear, for us that is. I Went to PCB in 07 and was standing in water up to my chest and spotted starfish on the bottom as well as those spinney things, forget what they were called. We all play in our water and think it is just great.

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Made the trip up to Savannah from Jacksonville several years ago for the St. Patrick's Day festivities. Mini Mardi Gras if your not familiar with it. Not far South of the Savannah River on the intra-coastal is a no-wake zone that lasts FOREVER!!!.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Where are you at in Sav. I will send you a PM.

However, for a good ramp for your size rig, Go to Skidaway Landings. Also known as Butterbean Beach.

There are not alot of Sandbars that i know of, but there are plenty of beaches along the sounds and other beaches on islands and alongs the ICWs that you can beach on and enjoy the day...

Get some charts of the area...Savannah River Entrance, Wassaw Sound and Ossabaw Sound. Those will probably be the primary boating area. The Sounds are huge and have alot of areas to beach on...

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Made the trip up to Savannah from Jacksonville several years ago for the St. Patrick's Day festivities. Mini Mardi Gras if your not familiar with it. Not far South of the Savannah River on the intra-coastal is a no-wake zone that lasts FOREVER!!!.

What river was that on. Most No Wakes around here are pretty short. There is one on the Wilmington Rover that is kinda long, but only take a few minutes to get through...

nlain

Commander

Just look out for Hells Gate

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

What river was that on. Most No Wakes around here are pretty short. There is one on the Wilmington Rover that is kinda long, but only take a few minutes to get through...

I thought we were on the intracoastal. It's been a while now so I may be getting it wrong. It was down near some place that looked like a little waterfront fishing village. Maybe starts with a Z or something? Seems like I remamber a ship or yacht builder being there.

nlain

Commander

I thought we were on the intracoastal. It's been a while now so I may be getting it wrong. It was down near some place that looked like a little waterfront fishing village. Maybe starts with a Z or something? Seems like I remamber a ship or yacht builder being there.

That sounds like Thunderbolt.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Yeah, that is on the Wilmington River. It is a large no wake zone. Starts at the Yatch builder and does not end until the other side of the Thunderbolt Bridge...

I do nto go through it very much, but it does not take very long to get through. Just sit back and enjoy the sunshine...