Smart Tabs Orientation ?

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought the Smart Tabs and am looking for advise on how to mount for maximum efficiency.

Referring to the attached photo, Do I mount parallel to the water line (black line on left) or do I mount angled to match the transom (blue line on right) ?

Thanks !

Attachments

• TrimTabLocation.jpg
    TrimTabLocation.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 0

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Smart Tabs Orientation ?

Follow the black line. If you mount on the blue line, most of the tab will not be in contact with water when the boat is on plane. Installation instructions with the tabs are pretty clear with templates for placement and setting angle.

37pro

Cadet

as said the black line. The other problem is they need to becloser to the center of the boat. At the right of your black line in the chine they need to be inboard of that point. The problem is your transducers may need to be moved. Good luck, Eric

MRS

Commander

If you go to the smart tabs web site you will get all the info. and the templets for mounting the tabs and the degrees you need.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yes, follow the destructions . . . all of them. As far outboard as you can go, along the Vee . . Move straps, steps whatever you have to within reason.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, black line. The tabs should be installed on the same plane as the hull.

And 37pro has is backwards. They need to be as close as you can get to about 5" from the outside edge of the boat. Pretty much right where your transom straps are now would be best. If you HAVE to, you can install them more towards the center of the boat, but they wouldn't work quite as well for some of the benefits.

See if you can shift your transom straps by attaching them to another point on your trailer.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, follow the destructions . . . all of them. As far outboard as you can go, along the Vee . . Move straps, steps whatever you have to within reason.

:confused:

nlain

Commander

You want to mount in this area for best results.

2005_1016Image0017.jpg

Close up view of one

2005_1016Image0016.jpg

204 Escape

Ensign

Hey, nlain

When you lower your ladder. How much room do you have between the trim tab, and the backside of the ladder ??

nlain

Commander

I have never measured but there is plenty of clearance, never hit it climbing on board. The photo below may give a little better understanding. The ladder is top mounted on the little swim platform that I have which puts it hanging behind the outdrive when viewed from the side. If you look above the drive you will see that the edge of the platform is just past the rear of the drive.

2005_1016Image0015.jpg

QC

Supreme Mariner

to lprizman, and anybody else who is confused,

nlain's are perfect ^^^^^ . They are as far outboard on the transom as possible, but not out on the chine . . . Frankly, I am confused about any confusion :confused:

nlain

Commander

I thought that the bracket was supposed to be mounted on the same plane/face as the hinge.
http://www.nauticusinc.com/pdf/SX_cautions.pdf

Granted, that's a doc for the SX tabs, but I would think that "rule" still applies.

When the hull configuration allows it which mine does not, I asked before I mounted and was told they would work fine and they do. They have paid for themselves in gasoline savings, I use about 1.5 gallons less on a set run that I make with the tabs than before. I know the mounting does not look right paer what the instructions say but I can assure you they work well, they do everything advertised set the way they are.

jprice

Seaman

When the hull configuration allows it which mine does not, I asked before I mounted and was told they would work fine and they do. They have paid for themselves in gasoline savings, I use about 1.5 gallons less on a set run that I make with the tabs than before. I know the mounting does not look right paer what the instructions say but I can assure you they work well, they do everything advertised set the way they are.

That's good to hear. I've got limited space under my swim platform. Even with the adjustment to move the bracket farther out on the plate, it's still going to be close. Good to know that option exists.

I just wonder why they say "don't do it". Would be nice if they at least gave some reasoning behind it, like maybe some of the potential performance differences (if any).

nlain

Commander

I never asked that but just thinking of the different angles of leverage it may make the adjustments more or less sensitive, just a guess. We need John to come along and give some input on that. :D

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not confused at all,,I have them and installed them no issues here,,,and the ones shown are spot on,,,the term destructions,,never heard of it

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

The SX hinge and transom bracket MUST be on the same plane, or else the Clevis Style End Fitting will bind and break when plate retracts!

From the SX installation caution link posted above by jprice,
"For applications where the plate and transom bracket can not be mounted on the same surface (plane), use the Smart Tab Stainless Steel Series, or call 800-233-0194 for advice!"

Apparently the Stainless version does not use the Clevis Style Fitting.

nlain

Commander

The stainless version does not use the clevis, unless they have changed recently, a ball stud mounts in the slot on both the tab and transom brackets, loosen the nut to adjust.

I have used the word destrutions for years. :D