what is normal operating temperature 5.7 volvo?

210ccr

Seaman Apprentice
what is the normal operating temperature for a 5.7 volvo? and do they have a thermostat? it's 98 tbi volvo penta. mine only reaches around 125 to 130 degree's.:confused:

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: what is normal operating temperature 5.7 volvo?

My 98 Volvo 5.7L carb'd engine ran 170-175 degrees.....and yes there is a thermostat, maybe it's stuck open.

Maclin

Admiral

To be detailed, it depends on if it has open or closed cooling. My '91 VP 5.7 is raw water cooled (open cooling system) and runs at 160 by the temp gauge, which is what the thermostat is. Fresh water cooled (closed cooling system) with a heat exchanger typically run a higher temp thermostat.

All of this would be in the operator's manual for the VP unit you have. You can download these from the VolvoPenta.com site, just pick a country and then go to parts and service and do a pulication search.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

what is the normal operating temperature for a 5.7 volvo? and do they have a thermostat? it's 98 tbi volvo penta. mine only reaches around 125 to 130 degree's.:confused:

I have a 95 5.7L Merc..and I run around the same temp as you..doesn't matter, slow speed, high speed..idle..stay nice and cool. It runs fantastic as well, so I'm wondering if we should just leave it alone?? Or are there cons to this?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I have a 95 5.7L Merc..and I run around the same temp as you..doesn't matter, slow speed, high speed..idle..stay nice and cool. It runs fantastic as well, so I'm wondering if we should just leave it alone?? Or are there cons to this?

The role of the thermostat is to warm the engine to peak operating temperature and keep it there. Cons of running cold include:

- Increased fuel consumption and emissions
- fouled plugs
- Cylinder wall scoring from unburnt fuel "washing" lubricant from the cylinder walls.
- Carbon buildup on pistons and valves
- Improper lubrication from oil not thinning properly

All of these decrease engine life expectancy. If yours doesn't have a thermostat, there's a chance that the PO removed it because it was running hot from some other issue, and that issue is now being "masked"

Set the engine up the way it's supposed to be.

Polar_Bus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My '98 5.7L merc runs at exactly 160F, reguardless of conditions. If you are running in the 130's either you might have a corroded temp sending unit, or a thermostat that is stuck open.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Get a heat gun out and determine exactly what temp its running. Could easily be your gauge. My 98 Volvo runs 120 at the gauge as well. It actually is running a bit higher.

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class

A lot of the gauges are inaccurate, this is my second chris craft with my second volvo setup and the both run exactly 125 on the gauge but are really at ~170 on an IR gun