starter problem or maybe not?

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi everyone. looking for some guidance. today while boating i shut my engine off and it had some post-ignition thing happening where it wouldn't shut off for a few seconds and finally sputtered and shut off. this happened once or twice in the past and i think its time for a tune up. my question is, could this post ignition cause other problems like hydro-lock? because after it shut off i couldn't start it back up a half hour later. acted like weak batteries (both brand new) and slowly cranked for a few seconds but wouldn't start. had to get towed home. pulled starting battery and brought home and im charging. im going back in morning and putting battery in and seeing if she starts. all the time im thinking i have a bad starter. it felt hot and i think i heard some sizzling coming from it while trying to crank. at first i didn't think of the post ignition/possible hydro-lock connection until researching starter issues in this forum. maybe starter is fine but cant crank engine due to hydro-lock? could the post ignition somehow let water into cylinders? could i do more damage trying to start and maybe pull the plugs first? LOL am i getting ahead of myself? sorry to be so long winded, i just wanted to give everyone a clear picture of whats happend.
thanx so much
paul

gshldon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: starter problem or maybe not?

If it were me and i had a thought the starter was bad i would remove it and have it tested at the local auto store, and if the batteries are die or appear to be low on charge, i would then also tend to have the alternator tested as well.

Good Luck and happy boating

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

The engine actually might have been turning in the opposite direction after shutting off the ignition. This can allow water from the exhaust to be "sucked" into the combustion chambers.

Check for water and remove all water before cranking.

The engine run on might be caused by carbon deposits on the pistons. ho often does it happen? how old is the engine?

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

The engine actually might have been turning in the opposite direction after shutting off the ignition. This can allow water from the exhaust to be "sucked" into the combustion chambers.

Check for water and remove all water before cranking.

The engine run on might be caused by carbon deposits on the pistons. ho often does it happen? how old is the engine?

thanx for the reply so fast! this is the third time the "run on" occurred in the month since I've owned her. only lasts for a couple of seconds really. its a 1994 merc 5.7 4bbl. full fresh water cooled conversion kit installed when it was new. fresh water (well water/antifreeze mix) cools the manifolds as well as the block and raw water goes through heat exchanger and exits out the risers. about 600 hrs on it. IF and that's hopefully an IF water entered cylinders it would be raw salt water from exhaust and not fresh water from the close cooling system i suppose. ugh i know im gettin ahead of myself and it might just be my starter after all, but as i type this im starting to freek a little wondering if salt water is sitting in my cylinders right now:eek:

gshldon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you might want to check and drain the oil and see if you have water in it. That way you know for sure.

Apollo75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take some WD-40 with you -- pull the plugs before you even try to crank it ---- if a plug looks wet (water) spray the cylinder with WD-40 --- I would just spray them all :D

If that engine is running on / dieseling check out the following and use some combustion cleaner ---- GM makes some good stuff --- smokes a lot and smells bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieseling

Have Fun

OFM

cr2k

Captain

That kind of post ignition run on is mainly caused from Poor gas, advanced timing and or too high of an idle.

If your starter bushings are getting worn it will drag when warm/hot.

Bondo

Staff member

but as i type this im starting to freek a little wondering if salt water is sitting in my cylinders right now

Ayuh,... If it Dieseled, that's a very distinct possibility...

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

good morning and thanx for the replies everyone. awesome article about "dieseling". im heading down to my boat with my best friend, tools and a can of WD-40. im gonna check oil, pull plugs and see whats up before i try to start her up. i will report back later.
thanx again
paul

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok here's a followup. pulled plugs and sure enough they were wet and a couple cylinders where full of water. filled them all with tons of wd 40 and cranked over and spit all that crap out. then more wd 40 and let it soak while we went to get plugs, wires cap and rotor. cranked it over again and spit it all out. checked oil and it was golden and clear. it was just changed 2 months ago and still looks new. replaced all the plugs and everything else and crossed fingers. cranked her over, a little sputtering and vroom she started right up. blew smoke for a minute and that cleared up. idled and revved better than it ever did brfore tune up so we took her for a ride. blasted around at 35-40 mph at WOT and cruised too for like 45 minutes. came home and shut her down and she fired right back up. a dozen times. checked oil again and still golden and clear. only thing is there was a little steam coming out from the breather tubes and there's some milkshake on the oil filler cap. im assuming there's moisture on the valve train under the covers. but no water in oil that i can tell. tomorrow i will pull the valve covers and clean everything out and change the oil for good measure. do you all think i got lucky on this one? or is she a time bomb? mind you this was SALT water in my cylinders for about 16 hours. she sounds and runs awesome right now though!

thanx again!
paul

Bondo

Staff member

do you all think i got lucky on this one? or is she a time bomb? mind you this was SALT water in my cylinders for about 16 hours.

Ayuh,... Put a few hours on it,+ pull a compression test,...
Who knows,... It's a roll of the Dice...

Apollo75

Petty Officer 1st Class

After cleaning out the moisture tomorrow she will be fine :eek:

I am glad she ran good for you :)

OFM

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanx again everyone. hopefully she holds together. my buddy says i have beginners boaters luck. i told him it was love and respect and shes returning that by keeping my repairs under $150 :D so far i replaced shift interrupt plate assembly and switch, impeller kit, and now a full tune up. all of which i had no clue as to how to do or why i needed to do it until i searched this forum. if not for all you guys i would have a blown motor for sure and a busted drive as well by now.