anyone else ever get harrassed by drunks on a speed boat?

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: anyone else ever get harrassed by drunks on a speed boat?

This thread make me think back to a previous thread...

We had a discussion several weeks ago about carrying protection while you go out. This is a prime example of no matter where you go, and how safe you feel, there are people in this world who will take advantage of that. There is no where out there that is "safe", and if you feel differently I believe your being delusional.

There is always a need for situational awareness, being vigilant and thinking on your feet. Considering the story as it's being told you did good. But just think how quickly this could have gone from bad to worse. What if they had hooked onto your cleat and begun to pull you? Or what if you had gotten into a verbal argument with the driver and he had begun to ram your boat? Don't think that could happen? The driver is all ready being reckless, how big of a leap is it really for him to attack with a several thousand pound boat/weapon. Just remember people things can happen anywhere.

To the OP, you did great with the tools you had available to you, way to think on your feet! No one was hurt and that's all that matters.

Bill

jkust

Rear Admiral

Ok, I would swear you are making this up. Sort of brings a new reality to boating. I am thinking what would would my options have been. I don't have flairs or any sort of way to defend the family but am certain my boat could give them a bashing in an absolute only-on-tv emergency.

clearwatguy

Seaman

Ok, I would swear you are making this up. Sort of brings a new reality to boating. I am thinking what would would my options have been. I don't have flairs or any sort of way to defend the family but am certain my boat could give them a bashing in an absolute only-on-tv emergency.

im fairly new to boating myself (which is why i had the flares lol well that and have had a lot of problems with this evinrude engine) most of the people we have come across have been very nice i have only had this thing in the water 8 times. once i had to remove the flywheel on the water due to a points adjustment issue and had 3 people stop and ask if we needed anything, it made me feel good to think that "boat people" seem to sort of look after each other and i was looking forwad to being able to "help somone else" then this happened. To be honest im considering selling it, I know my mom wont ever go back out and around here its not like we can just go somwhere else its an 80 mile round trip to where we were and a lot further to lake erie, not to sound like a wimp but it sort of left a bad taste in my mouth all this work fixing the water pump, points, carbs, all the work on the trailer and the boat itself to get it ready not to mention the purchase price and all the other little stuff then on the way out we had a lower radiator hose pop on the way up a hill and spun the back end of the truck around on our own coolant when it let loose (which scared the living hell out me). maybe im just feeling sorry for myself but its upsetting when you are learning the rules of the water and have had so many problems, then when you get them sorted out and all the crap you went through to get there and have to deal with people pulling crap like that sort of seems like the whole boat thing which i thought would be relaxing has been more stressful than work.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

good thinking on your part, you do have to protect your family and yourself... I'm surprised nobody consider the real possibility of the flare igniting fumes in the boat and exploding, killing 'em all....

Is that self defense? like shooting a guy who breaks into your home and tries to assult you with a bat or knife?

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

someone tries to tie on to my boat and I would consider that a threat to my life and the lives of those in the boat with me. I think appropraite actions would be allowed.

this forum wont let me

Seaman Apprentice

Don't let a few bad things, boat wise get you out of the good times you have ahead of you. Look at this way, I have all sorts of toys and I can't tell you one of them that does not give me a hard time here and there. ALL toy's cost money big toy's and little toy's stick with it. Nice job on defending yourself and family I won't even write online what I would have done to this well be nice and call them a person. Let's just say I would not only be on the new's I would be in the stupid human tricks section here. Next time you go out don't even think of what happened that bad day on the water just think of the good times ahead of you. Good luck happy boating...

clearwatguy

Seaman

never really thought about an explosian on their boat :( to be honest i just figured it would scar up their nice new boat and while they were trying to get the flares out of the boat i could get some distance between us and get back to the ramp area where there were more people around because the only other boat in the area was the house boat and he was heading in for the ramp as fast as he could too. god only knows how long they pestered him or what they did to him they were circling him as they came closer to the cove we were fishing and i thought they were all friends or somthing till they got closer and i could see him screaming at them and they were throwing **** at him and stuff, and i noticed he had plastic furnature on the house boats lower deck and it was all tipped over and one of those long plastic 2 seater couch looking things was half in the water stuck under the safety rail. jeez maybe boatings not for me :(

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A sad series of events indeed. Like I posted earlier, good, fast, smart thinking on your part using the flares to give you an escape route. I would personally not give any thought to "what if their boat caught on fire". Would have done the rest of society a favor to say the least.

Now, to the bigger issue! I can't stress to you enough to give serious thought to giving up on boating. One bad experience with those jerks would be enough to last me a lifetime. But bad experiences with the boat...now that's different. I have had more than my share of bad luck, misfortunes, lousy days, what ever you want to call it. But, in spite of it all, the family and I are on our third big boat and second fishing boat. I can't get enough "missery" from one boat, I have to have two:rolleyes:. But, for me, working on them and keeping them running is part of the fun and makes the reward all the more enjoyable. In time, if you stick with it, you might see it that way also. Ya, a moron can ruin your day, I have been ready to ram another boat with mine just to get their attention, but in the end, I would only create more work for myself. So, I just try and shake it off.
Eighty miles though, wow!:eek: I thought I had a long drive the four or five times a year we go to the Mississippi, and it is only 45 miles.
Chin-up partner, you at least have a story that few of us, if any will ever have to tell around the camp fire later on.:p

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

wow what a response! to answer your questions the body of water is the kinzua dam area on the resovoir, there is NO cell phone service, very little on water police and that is almost non existant after labor day and they had put halloween pumpkin window clings over there registration numbers. it was a glastron can am style boat yellow with red trim and i THINK i saw their truck and trailer in the parking lot at the launch but couldnt be sure.

I'm from the st. marys area, I've spent lots of time on both the kinzua and east branch dams. Let me give you a little piece of advice about the two areas there is little patrol presence ever, and the idiots know and enjoy that. Your best bet would be to carry a cell phone/cb/vhf radio. I wouldn't let them bother you because once you fight back with them they duck and run which you saw. Those guys are just a bunch of ball less b@stards that when someone gives it back to them they don't know what to do. I'm sorry to say this but at those 2 lakes your only real option is to concealed carry because you have to protect yourself not only from people but from the animals especially if you are there after night the cyotes are all over the place. I don't know what cell service provider you have but I know verizon has service in quite a few plaes, sugar and willow bay both do/did the last time I was there which was a few years ago. Most people around there are more than willing to help but its a few people that cause problems. I always carry a digital camera anymore because of these people because of issues like this. The DCNR/Fish Comission/State police love pictures because they want these people off of the water so no one gets hurt. I wouldn't let this issue push you away from boating because these issues isolated and once you fight back they usually leave you alone. Seeing you have a description of the boat I would call dcnr and the fish comission and file a report hoping the other boat did also so that they are on the look out for the boat. I would also ask them what your options are if it happens again. I've had issuse like this about once a year with people but thats becuase sh!t heads always finds me.

clearwatguy

Seaman

A sad series of events indeed. Like I posted earlier, good, fast, smart thinking on your part using the flares to give you an escape route. I would personally not give any thought to "what if their boat caught on fire". Would have done the rest of society a favor to say the least.

Now, to the bigger issue! I can't stress to you enough to give serious thought to giving up on boating. One bad experience with those jerks would be enough to last me a lifetime. But bad experiences with the boat...now that's different. I have had more than my share of bad luck, misfortunes, lousy days, what ever you want to call it. But, in spite of it all, the family and I are on our third big boat and second fishing boat. I can't get enough "missery" from one boat, I have to have two:rolleyes:. But, for me, working on them and keeping them running is part of the fun and makes the reward all the more enjoyable. In time, if you stick with it, you might see it that way also. Ya, a moron can ruin your day, I have been ready to ram another boat with mine just to get their attention, but in the end, I would only create more work for myself. So, I just try and shake it off.
Eighty miles though, wow!:eek: I thought I had a long drive the four or five times a year we go to the Mississippi, and it is only 45 miles.
Chin-up partner, you at least have a story that few of us, if any will ever have to tell around the camp fire later on.:p

your right im not giving up! :) im trying to learn the rules of the water and obey the laws i may not have tens of thousands of dollars for a big fancy new speed boat but at the end of the season ill be a better boater than those guys will ever be no matter how much money they have because 1 i dont drink and there is no drinking on my boat ever, and 2 again im trying to learn how to do things the right way and be a respectful boater

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

your right im not giving up! :) im trying to learn the rules of the water and obey the laws i may not have tens of thousands of dollars for a big fancy new speed boat but at the end of the season ill be a better boater than those guys will ever be no matter how much money they have because 1 i dont drink and there is no drinking on my boat ever, and 2 again im trying to learn how to do things the right way and be a respectful boater

Sounds like you are doing just fine on the being a respectful boater. I just wish others in that area had the same attitude. I left st. marys 2 years ago and I haven't missed that and the 35 minute drive to any lake.

clearwatguy

Seaman

I'm from the st. marys area, I've spent lots of time on both the kinzua and east branch dams. Let me give you a little piece of advice about the two areas there is little patrol presence ever, and the idiots know and enjoy that. Your best bet would be to carry a cell phone/cb/vhf radio. I wouldn't let them bother you because once you fight back with them they duck and run which you saw. Those guys are just a bunch of ball less b@stards that when someone gives it back to them they don't know what to do. I'm sorry to say this but at those 2 lakes your only real option is to concealed carry because you have to protect yourself not only from people but from the animals especially if you are there after night the cyotes are all over the place. I don't know what cell service provider you have but I know verizon has service in quite a few plaes, sugar and willow bay both do/did the last time I was there which was a few years ago. Most people around there are more than willing to help but its a few people that cause problems. I always carry a digital camera anymore because of these people because of issues like this. The DCNR/Fish Comission/State police love pictures because they want these people off of the water so no one gets hurt. I wouldn't let this issue push you away from boating because these issues isolated and once you fight back they usually leave you alone. Seeing you have a description of the boat I would call dcnr and the fish comission and file a report hoping the other boat did also so that they are on the look out for the boat. I would also ask them what your options are if it happens again. I've had issuse like this about once a year with people but thats becuase sh!t heads always finds me.

lol i have att no service, but i do have a marine radio that was on the boat no clue how to use it lol but i have gotten the weather reports from it! its awesome to hear from somone else from the area on here!!

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

when are you planning on taking your boat out again?

clearwatguy

Seaman

when are you planning on taking your boat out again?

probably going to take it out one more time this season after the leaves change my girl wants to take pics from the lake so in the next couple weeks we should get together!

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

probably going to take it out one more time this season after the leaves change my girl wants to take pics from the lake so in the next couple weeks we should get together!

haha its a long drive from williamsport to there. I was asking cause I was gonna be in the area this weekend.

clearwatguy

Seaman

haha its a long drive from williamsport to there. I was asking cause I was gonna be in the area this weekend.

well maybe ill see if i can get around and head out this weekend :)

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

let me know cause I'll have to haul mine up to st. mars on friday with me

clearwatguy

Seaman

let me know cause I'll have to haul mine up to st. mars on friday with me

lol ill do that! you bring the guns and ill bring thermite coffe can bombs maybe enjoyable boating can be had in peace lol

rokrau

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To be honest im considering selling it, I know my mom wont ever go back out and around here its not like we can just go somwhere else its an 80 mile round trip to where we were and a lot further to lake erie, not to sound like a wimp but it sort of left a bad taste in my mouth all this work fixing the water pump, points, carbs, all the work on the trailer and the boat itself to get it ready not to mention the purchase price and all the other little stuff then on the way out we had a lower radiator hose pop on the way up a hill and spun the back end of the truck around on our own coolant when it let loose (which scared the living hell out me). maybe im just feeling sorry for myself but its upsetting when you are learning the rules of the water and have had so many problems, then when you get them sorted out and all the crap you went through to get there and have to deal with people pulling crap like that sort of seems like the whole boat thing which i thought would be relaxing has been more stressful than work.

That's why you belong on the water - and they belong in jail, their boat confiscated and donated to a youth organization.

You can not change other people but you can change your perception of the situation. You reacted extremely well in a very extreme situation. Gain confidence and trust in yourself from that fact.

Roland