out drive issues

Tried to enjoy the holiday on the water{ BUT }, if ther is any body out there that can help. I was at full throttle when it sounded like i spun the prop,i pulled back and put it back in drive it will run at turtle pace.As soon as throttle up it will just spin. If any body that my have heard of this PLEASE help.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: out drive issues

Did you spin the prop hub? Did you check it?

WizeOne

Commander

It's always a plus to give the particulars as to what you have!!

Apollo75

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess everyone is "assuming" you know how to check for a spun prop or coupler, furthermore you did those checks before asking a question about it here :eek:

You need to mark the prop and prop hub/rubber inner piece and run it again to see if the marks move --- sometimes (most of the time) these couplers and hubs are tight enough that you cannot turn them by hand to check --- if your not near water put it in gear while the engine is not running and use a piece of wood (2x4) etc. and carefully try to move the prop without bending or breaking something. If the mark you put on the prop and hub has moved then you have a lose hub --- if the prop moved and the mark did not move --- and I guess you will need someone in the boat to "make sure" the engine did not move, doubt that though with the gear ratio --- then probably the engine to outdrive coupler is slipping.

I hope this will help --- and I hope someone with more experience who does this for a living will chime in to help diagnose the problem.

OFM

skargo

Banned

Yesterday we hit some very shallow water, and wrapped seaweed around the prop and it acted like a spun hub, but it was fine with a couple blasts in reverse. I'm guessing you would have seen grass though.

THANKS for all the info. It turned out to be a spun prop juust i guess just not all the way. put my spare on changed the oil and took it out no problems at all so once agian THANK YOU.....