Crazy & probably too expensive idea

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Just curious-Anybody know about how much it would cost to have the chrome replated on a bow light? It is pitted so it would probably not be cheap.

Also does anybody know if this is an original Starcraft (Jet Star) part or aftermarket?

w1-DSC_2189.jpg

w2-DSC_2190.jpg

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Crazy & probably too expensive idea

I thought bow lights had to be green and red? I'm not advising I'm just a noob and was wondering :) If I had to guess I would say cost more to chrome plate it than buy a new one IF it is not original. If it was original and you want to keep it that way then go for it.

joza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just curious-Anybody know about how much it would cost to have the chrome replated on a bow light? It is pitted so it would probably not be cheap.

Also does anybody know if this is an original Starcraft (Jet Star) part or aftermarket?

w1-DSC_2189.jpg

w2-DSC_2190.jpg

I'm in the same boat, so to speak, ha! I've got about 14 pieces that I need rechromed. The bow light that I have for my Red Fish is about twice the length of yours. The price I got to redo all my parts was $1200. My light is also red and blue.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My buddy that had some wheels chromed and asked the guy at the shop why it cost so much. Guy told him chrome plating solution is really dangerous and very cancerous and they have to have a license or something to do plating.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I thought bow lights had to be green and red? I'm not advising I'm just a noob and was wondering. If I had to guess I would say cost more to chrome plate it than buy a new one IF it is not original. If it was original and you want to keep it that way then go for it.

It looks more blue in the photo than it really because my porch wall to the left is blue so reflects some blue light. When I look at the plastic lens, it does look a little more blue than I would expect, but I surmised that was to offset the relatively yellow glow of the 12v lamp. Haven't had it working yet.

I'm in the same boat, so to speak, ha! I've got about 14 pieces that I need rechromed. The bow light that I have for my Red Fish is about twice the length of yours. The price I got to redo all my parts was $1200. My light is also red and blue.

$1200 for 14 pcs.!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Your quote averages about $86 per part. I'll either leave it like it is if it's OEM just for the flavor, or get a new one! I checked ebay but I'll have to keep watching cuz I didn't see anything. I have some neat old chromed cleats from a '65 Glastron that I plan to put on. Is that heresy?:)

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

The pitting will not be repaired by re-chroming. The chrome plating is about the thickness of paint or thinner. :eek: .I found it difficult to have some stuff plated as most shops do not want to mess with small orders and some have a minimum. Guess it depends on how hungry they are. Most of the work is in preparation as in rust removal, etc. The finish has to be absolutely perfect for chrome plating as any flaws will appear through the finish. Even a small scratch will not get covered up ( like it might in paint). The pitting will not be repaired by re-plating as the material is allready missing.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

The pitting will not be repaired by re-chroming. The chrome plating is about the thickness of paint or thinner. :eek: .I found it difficult to have some stuff plated as most shops do not want to mess with small orders and some have a minimum. Guess it depends on how hungry they are.

I found a place online that's not too far from me and they have no minimum order and will recondition the metal first. But now I know all this is too rich for my blood.

Thanks.

My buddy that had some wheels chromed and asked the guy at the shop why it cost so much. Guy told him chrome plating solution is really dangerous and very cancerous and they have to have a license or something to do plating.

Yup, pretty much everything in a plating shop is nasty and dangerous. I was the plant chemist in a plating shop years ago. And yes, there are stringent environmental and safety regulations (and rightfully so, we don't need heavy metals getting into our water supplies).

I can believe $1200 to do 14 pieces, there'd be a ton of labor involved. First the parts would have to be stripped. Then sanded, then polished. If there's any pitting they'd probably have to put a thick layer of copper on, then polish some more. Every part would be copper plated, then nickel, then finally chrome. Also, each part would have to be individually hung so that the plating covered it properly - it takes someone who knows what they're doing to get it right.

If someone were able to do a really good job polishing parts themselves they might be able to bypass that step and save some money. But again, there's an art to it and not everyone can get the hang of it.

techjob4u

Cadet

I am sure you already took care of this but what about sending it out to a place that does baby shoe bronzing? Most of them do other metals as well. I know to bronze a pair of shoes is 35-75 depending on where you get it done. I also so pricing for silver 100-130 and gold 150-200. They also de pewter. Or better yet powder coat it.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

There are dozens - if not 100's of bow lights on ebay - new ones that are just like yours go for less than 20 bucks!

just check boat parts - electrical - and bow light in the search

bananaboater

Ensign

Pretty sure it is original, just like mine. And it is blue.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

I've had motorcycle parts chromed. I'd guess something in that poor of condition would be in the 100 buck range.

If I wanted to keep the original bow light on and chrome was too expensive. I'd probably powder coat it, as mentioned earlier.

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can believe $1200 to do 14 pieces, there'd be a ton of labor involved. First the parts would have to be stripped. Then sanded, then polished. If there's any pitting they'd probably have to put a thick layer of copper on, then polish some more. Every part would be copper plated, then nickel, then finally chrome. Also, each part would have to be individually hung so that the plating covered it properly - it takes someone who knows what they're doing to get it right.

If someone were able to do a really good job polishing parts themselves they might be able to bypass that step and save some money. But again, there's an art to it and not everyone can get the hang of it.

The above quote by metriccrescentwrench is EXACTLY the reason.

A co-worker gets parts re-chromed all the time for his old Mercedes collection and he does the work himself. He strips the old chrome himself, sands it smooth, sends it to get copper plated, sands it some more and then polishes it (re-coppers if he sands through the first copper plating), sends it off for the Chrome. The process takes a little longer, but the price is way less than half. 75% of the cost is labor to get it smooth before the chrome. If you can sand it yourself between the stages, that's the route I would choose. Of coarse this only works out if the platter is local to you.

Bill

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Some of the classic boat collectors/restorers that I know do what has already been mentioned- They do most of the prep work themselves, and send the part off to be chromed. It saves a lot of money, but it's a LOT of work.

I know a few that have invested in plating equipment as well, http://www.caswellplating.com/
sells several kits. There is an initial investment of about $250-$500 depending on which kit you choose- But if you are doing a lot of work, in the end you'll save a LOT. Some of them are not using the actual chrome, but a product that they make called 'copy chrome', that looks almost as good (you'd be hard pressed to tell!), costs less, is not toxic, and is supposed to be easier. The company claims it lasts as long or longer, too.

-Andrew

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Just to chime in on the colors..
My 68 has the blue as well...
Which was the standard in 1968...I dont know exactly when (70? 71?) when they switched the standard to green and red...

If you have a blue & green original bow light, you are allowed to run her..AND lets the old salts know you are running a classic..lol