Problems with a '91 Bayliner Capri

um0RION

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all, first post. Im a new boat owner, and wanted something for my camp I could fish from and do some entertaining. I found an 18' 1991 bayliner capri with a 120hp evinrude engine, complete with trailer, for $600. Now im going to try to do some repairs, and I need some help :)

1st and probably most pressing problem: The drain that runs along the fiberglass in the bottom of the hull doesnt drain water well. I pushed a snake into the hole to drain the water, but after 5' or so (pushing towards the stern) the snake stops. If I push harder, I could feed in about 10' of the snake. If I feed from the other direction I have a similar problem, it goes in only so far, then stops. My question is, how does the drain run? is it a straight 1" tube from front to back? It feels like there is some cavity the snake gets into, and cant find the outlet hole. Is there some sort of tube that might have come loose and should be connected? If there is, it is under the floor and I cant get at it. If this is the case, I might have to pull the floor up (really hope it isnt that). When I bought it, there was probably 4" of standing water in the bottom of the boat, which we managed to drain, but it was incredibly slow. Any idea what might be wrong?

2nd problem: The steering controls appear to be frozen. I cant move the engine at all with the steering wheel. Is there some lock somewhere that might prevent it from moving, like when traveling? I havent tried any penetrating oil anywhere yet (only owned it for 2 days) but its something I could work on this weekend.

Other problems include the electrical for most of the boat not working at all, the only thing that works is the power tilt/trim. No fire in the engine, but I did find two disconnected wires which i reconnected to no avail. It's been sitting for probably 2 years, but it WAS fogged/winterized before it was carefully and tenderly stored behind a house in the middle of the woods without a cover or protection, then moved directly under where a roof drained into.

Fixed these ^^ but need steering help on page 3.

I can deal with electrical, but those first two problems are out of my league. Help please?

Attachments

• PHOT0006.jpg
    PHOT0006.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PHOT0010.jpg
    PHOT0010.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Problems with a '91 Bayliner Capri

First off, welcome to iBoats! You have found a great resource here, and nice having you! :)

Hi all, first post. Im a new boat owner, and wanted something for my camp I could fish from and do some entertaining. I found an 18' 1991 bayliner capri with a 120hp evinrude engine, complete with trailer, for $600. Now im going to try to do some repairs, and I need some help :)

1st and probably most pressing problem: The drain that runs along the fiberglass in the bottom of the hull doesnt drain water well. I pushed a snake into the hole to drain the water, but after 5' or so (pushing towards the stern) the snake stops. If I push harder, I could feed in about 10' of the snake. If I feed from the other direction I have a similar problem, it goes in only so far, then stops. My question is, how does the drain run? is it a straight 1" tube from front to back? It feels like there is some cavity the snake gets into, and cant find the outlet hole. Is there some sort of tube that might have come loose and should be connected? If there is, it is under the floor and I cant get at it. If this is the case, I might have to pull the floor up (really hope it isnt that). When I bought it, there was probably 4" of standing water in the bottom of the boat, which we managed to drain, but it was incredibly slow. Any idea what might be wrong?

Sorry can't help you on that one... :( don't know the design of the inside of a bayliner, but I know lowkee was doing a big capri restore, he should chime in, in a day or so.

2nd problem: The steering controls appear to be frozen. I cant move the engine at all with the steering wheel. Is there some lock somewhere that might prevent it from moving, like when traveling? I havent tried any penetrating oil anywhere yet (only owned it for 2 days) but its something I could work on this weekend.

If it sat that long uncovered, then more than likely the steering cable end that goes through the tilt tube on the motor has seized. That is the most common part to seize up from non-use/sitting.

You'll need to undo the coupler nut on it, try to spurt some penetrant in there, and let it sit, then beat it out from the other end... the sad news is, if the cable end seized there is a good possibilty the cable itself is shot and will need to be replaced...

but you can make a good determination once you get it out of the tilt tube on the motor... if the steering turns and moves the cable you're ok, and if the motor moves once the cable is out, you're also ok... you will just need to lube it all up and re-assemble. (If you need a pic of what this looks like, just let me know, I have one saved for steering questions).

If the motor moves with the cable detached, but the steering wheel doesnt turn or the cable end doesn't slide while turning the wheel, you need a new cable.

Other problems include the electrical for most of the boat not working at all, the only thing that works is the power tilt/trim. No fire in the engine, but I did find two disconnected wires which i reconnected to no avail. It's been sitting for probably 2 years, but it WAS fogged/winterized before it was carefully and tenderly stored behind a house in the middle of the woods without a cover or protection, then moved directly under where a roof drained into.

I can deal with electrical, but those first two problems are out of my league. Help please?

For an evinrude it should have a coupler on the engine. (possibly a big red plug). That coupler should feed out the front of the motor, and have two big leads for the battery (one positive, one negative). The rest of the bundled cables should run up to the controls. Everything is fed to the motor electrically through the controls, and nothing else connected to the electrical should interfere with this operation. First make sure you are correctly hooked up to the battery, and make sure the plug under the engine cowl is tight, check all of your connections to make sure they are tight. then try it, if it turns over, but no spark, you can have a few different problems.... bad ignition switch, bad coil packs, etc.

You may want to post your electrical issue in the Evinrude outboard forums as well.

Hope the info helps!

um0RION

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, Ill be on here quite a bit I think.

Your advice on unfreezing the steering is great, I was thinking the cable was frozen where you mentioned, where it went through the tilt tube. I dont have the ability to fix that this weekend as my tools are all locked up at work, but it'll be something to play with later on. Do you have a picture of the coupler nut you mentioned? I could probably find a diagram of it on shop.bayliner.com but a picture is worth a thousand words.

For the electrical, I have a multimeter and do a lot of electrical work on vehicles, so finding where the power issues are shouldnt be too major. Im really worried about the water drain though, I put a pressure washer end in the ski locker area and sprayed water into the drain hole for about 30 seconds, then when I let up the water all backflowed like it was under pressure. Something isnt right.. The deck feels solid except for one spot where the plywood meets the fiberglass up near the bow, right under the center glass window. It feels like it just pulled up a bit, not rotted or anything. I might end up cutting out an access hatch in the floor to see what is going on. I hate to do it but it might be unavoidable. Ill wait though to make sure im not screwing something up that shouldnt be messed with.

Unfortunately this boat has seen saltwater action and you can tell from the corrosion in the engine (which actually looks really good). Ill clean off all the contacts and make sure nothing is wrong there. There IS more than its fair share of wire-splices with "waterproof" coverings on them that doesnt look entirely trustworthy.

Tomorrow is a cleaning out day, and ill make sure to pick up some penetrating oil for the steering problem.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

welcome to i boats....the more you use the forum the more you get out of it..!:) if you use it alot....the friendships you make are priceless

as far as draining the boat goes......there is no tube.....anything......just a cavity.

i can guess why you are having problems draining the boat.....but you dont really want to hear them. :(

let me just say......look for dark brown or black chips of wood coming out the drain hole.

but all in all.....after you fix the motor and electrical issues.....enjoy your fishing. :)

when you want to do a total tear down....we will be here.

cheers
oops

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Sure thing....

Here is a picture of the cable end as it goes into the tilt tube...
Presort142.jpg

(I had to beat mine silly to get it out finally, but my cable was long gone and I knew it).

Here it is without the steering cable in the tube...
Presort143.jpg

and no, the nut you see there is NOT the nut from the cable end, on mine it had a seperate lock nut that butted up against the cable end nut... the cable end nut should thread on to the end of that tube... make sense?

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

i can guess why you are having problems draining the boat.....but you dont really want to hear them. :(

let me just say......look for dark brown or black chips of wood coming out the drain hole.

cheers
oops

Hehehe Oops I wasn't going to say it...

And don't you ever sleep man??? LOL

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hehehe Oops I wasn't going to say it...

And don't you ever sleep man??? LOL

lol....its only 10 pm here.......heh heh heh.....its when im up till 5am answering pm's that it gets fuzzy.....lol

cheers

um0RION

Petty Officer 3rd Class

lol....its only 10 pm here.......heh heh heh.....its when im up till 5am answering pm's that it gets fuzzy.....lol

cheers

Its 1:30AM here.. .

Thanks for the replies everyone.. When I first started draining the water it was clear because it had settled, but afterwards there was some black scum on the bottom. I felt around inside the ski locker and my hands came out dirty, but the wood feels solid, so im thinking it might just be mold/mildew/rotting plant material and that kind of stuff. Believe me I want to hear what is going on. Ill post a picture to better illustrate what Im questioning.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Its 1:30AM here.. .

Thanks for the replies everyone.. When I first started draining the water it was clear because it had settled, but afterwards there was some black scum on the bottom. I felt around inside the ski locker and my hands came out dirty, but the wood feels solid, so im thinking it might just be mold/mildew/rotting plant material and that kind of stuff. Believe me I want to hear what is going on. Ill post a picture to better illustrate what Im questioning.

please under stand.....i own a 90 b-liner capri too....so im not bashing your boat.

well....the news is not good for the draining.....your boat will probably be just fine the way it is for a few years yet......just as long as the transom is solid....

but the truth is.....shes probably rotted right out under the deck... (mine is too)....your flotation foam is more than likely wet. the reason that it is taking soo long for the water to drain is because it is being filtered thru rotten wood chips.
the b-liners came with a long rod that was in the ski locker....you used the rod to clear the drain channel..

bayliners were prone to rot....and if left out side uncovered for a winter or two.....well.....its time for a re fit.

so....as i say, after you fix the motor....you probably will get a season or two of good fishing before you really need to do a total re fit.

as long as the transom is safe, and you arent falling thru the floor.....id run it.

cheers
oops

um0RION

Petty Officer 3rd Class

please under stand.....i own a 90 b-liner capri too....so im not bashing your boat.

well....the news is not good for the draining.....your boat will probably be just fine the way it is for a few years yet......just as long as the transom is solid....

but the truth is.....shes probably rotted right out under the deck... (mine is too)....your flotation foam is more than likely wet. the reason that it is taking soo long for the water to drain is because it is being filtered thru rotten wood chips.
the b-liners came with a long rod that was in the ski locker....you used the rod to clear the drain channel..

bayliners were prone to rot....and if left out side uncovered for a winter or two.....well.....its time for a re fit.

so....as i say, after you fix the motor....you probably will get a season or two of good fishing before you really need to do a total re fit.

as long as the transom is safe, and you arent falling thru the floor.....id run it.

cheers
oops

Well thats good to know anyways.. Its not going into the water this year at any rate, even if I go get all the problems fixed. Is it possible to get at that area somehow and attempt to fix what is making it drain slow? Cutting an access hole in the deck for instance? Ive got a shop full of tools and a few guys that know what they're doing around boats, so Ive got a wealth of information there. Im planning on covering it ASAP because I dont want it to get any worse. As of right now, the transom feels solid. I tried tapping it, and moving the engine up and down to feel for movement and I didnt see any.

It might be woodchips like you were saying, but I was pushing a snake in and not feeling anything squishy in the process. When the snake stopped there was a "thunk" sound, like I was hitting a peice of wood and stopping dead. When I pulled the snake back out it just came with water, I didnt notice any wood chips.

Im not saying that it isnt rotting itself out slowly but just my own observations. Im not in denial or anything haha. It could just be that i dont have the boat tipped enough. Ill try that today just to be sure.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

My question is, how does the drain run? is it a straight 1" tube from front to back?

My '90 Capri (with a tank under the deck), had 1" PVC tubing only going through the bulkheads. It didn't run the entire length of the hull. So, essentially, there were 3 6" pieces. The likelihood of getting your snake to enter the hidden end of the next PVC tube is minimal at best, but all of the tubes should have an exposed end, whether in the ski locker, the anchor compartment or the bilge. The area under the tank is inaccessible, so any leaves and gunk in there is staying in there until you remove the deck and tank.

These tubs certainly weren't well thought out, but at least they look pretty ;)

notsunkyet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my capri had a 1" tube in it also but it only went abour 8 inches from the front and the drained into this cavity that had a big wad of foam in it! for the life of me i still cant reason why.... also it amazed me the amount of crap that was in there... after the foam there is nothing but empty space all of the way back... as far as the slow draining that is because the bays have the hole 3/16 to 1/4 about the bottom of the floor... dont get that either but its gonna be changed...
as far as you steering... i took a cable once and submerged it in an oil bath for a few days and it freed up... but cables really need to just be replaced.
you will most likely find the foam in all of its glory to be nothing more than a dead weight sponge. i didnt put any in on my replacment and i improved on the draining and dont have any more issues.

um0RION

Petty Officer 3rd Class

UPDATE!!

A lot happened today that Im pretty happy about. My friend and I went to town on the boat, and found some problems, and fixed a LOT of problems.

There was an old radio antenna for a CB that the previous owner had stuffed under the dash which we took off, since its going on a lake it wont need a marine radio, CB, or anything like that. The horn wasnt working, and was rusty, and awful looking, so we took that off. That powers up just fine and makes the horn sound. Ill paint it and make it look pretty. There was also a fish finder that was non-operative that I took out. I might be able to have one of the technicians I work with look at it and see if it can be saved. Not a big concern of mine though.

I also was able to get power to the dash, so I now have the front navigation light working. There was an old fuse hooked to a spliced wire that looked like death, so I put in a nice waterproof fuse holder in. As soon as I put in the fuse, the FM radio came to life immediately, and the speakers actually sound half decent, even though they look like crap.

About the seized steering, we were able to unfreeze it! We found that if one of us turned the steering wheel and one pushed on the engine to help it, it would turn. we did that, cleaned up the rod, and filled the grease fittings in the back with grease. Im not sure if they go to the steering mechanism or what. So the engine will turn now with the steering wheel only, but the issue now is that it is REALLY tough to turn. I have to use a lot of upper body strength to move the wheel a little bit. It moves though, so im happy for now.

We also looked at the engine. I cleaned up a lot of the corrosion with penetrating oil and a tooth brush. Then, I used a multimeter to find where power was and wasnt getting to. The wire from the battery is fine, and ignition power makes it to the solonoid. However, this should fire the solonoid and put power to the starter, and it does not. That leg stays cold, key on or in the start position. So im 98% sure that part is bad ($16 on ebay :)).

Overall, VERY happy with the progress today. I left it indoors because its pouring out, and Im going to buy a tarp for it tomorrow to cover it with for the time being. Im pretty happy!

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

About the seized steering, we were able to unfreeze it! We found that if one of us turned the steering wheel and one pushed on the engine to help it, it would turn. we did that, cleaned up the rod, and filled the grease fittings in the back with grease. Im not sure if they go to the steering mechanism or what. So the engine will turn now with the steering wheel only, but the issue now is that it is REALLY tough to turn. I have to use a lot of upper body strength to move the wheel a little bit. It moves though, so im happy for now.

First off grats on your day! Glad it went well... (a lot better than mine heh)

For the steering, you still really need to take the cable out of the tube, and see where its stuck... it should turn almost effortlessly, and that can be a hazard in the long run if it seizes on you again...

Once you take it out of the tilt tube, if its still stiff to turn the wheel, you know the cable is bad... they make a wire brush for cleaning the inside of the tilt tube (sold here on iboats), goes on a drill. I suggest you take the cable out, wire brush the tube, then lube it up good with waterproof grease. (no matter which cable you use), this should be done periodically regardless.

um0RION

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First off grats on your day! Glad it went well... (a lot better than mine heh)

For the steering, you still really need to take the cable out of the tube, and see where its stuck... it should turn almost effortlessly, and that can be a hazard in the long run if it seizes on you again...

Once you take it out of the tilt tube, if its still stiff to turn the wheel, you know the cable is bad... they make a wire brush for cleaning the inside of the tilt tube (sold here on iboats), goes on a drill. I suggest you take the cable out, wire brush the tube, then lube it up good with waterproof grease. (no matter which cable you use), this should be done periodically regardless.

I can do that, but Ill need a lot more explanation :) How much of the steering system do I have to take off, and what parts should I be looking at? Ill assume taking this off means taking the motor at least partially off the boat? A good guide would be fantastic if you have one.. Do you need to take off the steering wheel, and take the cable out from the steering wheel all the way to the motor? If you end up needing to replace such a cable, where would I find a new one and how much do they go for?

Drylander

Recruit

I have a Bayliner Capri like yours and I know there is a knob under the dash which acts like a set screw, that if tightened will lock the steering wheel. It may not be the problem, but it might contribute.

um0RION

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a Bayliner Capri like yours and I know there is a knob under the dash which acts like a set screw, that if tightened will lock the steering wheel. It may not be the problem, but it might contribute.

Wow, that would be fantastic if it was there, and all it needed was to be loosened up a bit. It really felt though like it wasnt the wheel that was giving me problems, it felt more like it was in the cable between the wheel and the rod that moved the motor.

If anyone could answer the questions in my last post about removing the steering stuff that would be great, I could get started on doing that after work tomorrow.

foodfisher

Captain

I may have overlooked some steps you have taken on the steering, but here goes anyway. After the steering cable with the rod inside enters the tilt tube it exits the other side and connects to another offset rod. Disconnect there noting what washer goes where. Then try to pivot the motor by hand. Should move freely. If not the pivot pin/yoke is in need of servicing. (quite the undertaking!) While disconnected turn the steering wheel and see what happens. The sticky tilt tube is another prob. I had hard grease and pitting in mine and I just could not free it up. To remove the cable from the tube you'll most likely have to lift the motor with a cherry picker. Once the rod is out of the tilt tube, further tests and deductive reasoning will zero in on the prob.

um0RION

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, I think I can do that. From the little that I moved the engine yesterday, it didnt feel like the problem was the pivot pin. Ill disconnect that offset rod the next chance I get and try turning the engine.

Im not used to trying things out piece by piece like this to find what is wrong. Part of it is that Im not aware of what can go wrong in some of these setups. It never crossed my mind that the pin the motor rotated on might have something wrong with it. What you mentioned is the ideal way to test that without taking out apart and cleaning the whole mess.

Where might I find that brush that you put on a drill to clean out that tube that someone mentioned? I might need it in the near future...

um0RION

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Another little update..

I did some engine work, and im going to do more this weekend. Im tackling quite a few issues at a time, trying to get this boat in good working order sometime soon.

My starter was engaged with the flywheel, and rusted up like that, so it wouldnt let go. If you turned the flywheel, the starter turned with it. Some penetrating oil, a screw driver, and a hammer fixed that up, and now if I jump power to the starter the gear moves up, engages the flywheel, then lets go of it like it should.

I disconnected the engine from the steering, and the engine pivots left and right nice and smoothly on its own. When disconnected, the steering STILL feels very tough, even with the motor disconnected. The brush for the tilt-tube came in the mail yesterday, so now I need to know if I need to disconnect the whole engine and lift it off the boat, or if there is some easier way to do that. Lifting the engine off would suck, I imagine.

I did find out that my fishfinder works though... :) it just needs a new transducer, as the old one had been cleaned right off the transom.

Im going to be looking for some new speakers as well. The ones I have now have the covers broken out, and the center guard on one of them is just hanging there. I only have two speakers I believe... Can anyone suggest a good pair? I think they're 6.5" round speakers. I think. I just need them to play radio, or music through an mp3 player loud enough for people in the boat to listen to comfortably. Suggestions?