Abandoned boat

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Abandoned boat

I wonder why salvage rights are so easy on a boat, yet if I tow a car from the side of the highway to my house, it is considered theft. And I've seen some nice looking cars broken down :)

dtime

Cadet

I think I would run the registration number and tyry to reach the old lady and also notify the PD of the abandoned Boat on your property. they can possiby move the boat and place it in their storage and remove you of any legal responsibity.

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I woke up Sunday morning to find a pontoon boat tied to my dock and no one around talked to the neighborers i guess someone ran out of gas.Well its Tuesday and they have not returned so do i get to keep it?Thinking of pulling it out, but can i charge storage then?

Very first post says the reason!
And other one says what the outcome was.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

wheres the 2nd one? im very anxious to hear how it turned out.

dtime

Cadet

Also glad to see some of the boaters on the water are willing to take the higer ground and do the right thing. Now to address the comment of "took a 8' pole that i slip under the top of the dock so it sticks out a few feet either side of the dock.So someone could try to dock if the want a pole sticking thru their boat" YOU SHOULD BE ASHEMED OF YOUR SELF!!! THAT IS A HORIBE THING TO DOO TO ANY ONE EVEN IF YOU DONT KNOW THEM!!! THIS LADY EVEN IF SHE WAS INCONCIDERATE DID NOTHING TO HARM YOU OR YOUR PRESSIOUS DOCK ALL YOU HAD WAS SOME INCONVENCE TO YOUR LIFE AND YOU WERE TRYING TO CAPITOLIZE ON SOMEONE ELSES MISSFOUTUNES. NOW YOU HAVE THE ORDACITY TO PLACE A DEVICE THAT COULD HARM SOME ONE ESLE OR THEIR PROPERTY IF THEY ARE IN DISTRESS. WHAT HAPPEN TO MARITIME RULES TO HELP OTHER BOATERS IN NEED IF YOU ARE ABLE TO. I BETYOU WOULD JUST MOTOR PASST A DROWNING SWIMMER BECAUSE YOU ARE BETTER THAN THEM!!! I DONT GET ANGERY WITH PEOPLE BUT TO DO SOMETHING TO OTHER PEOPLE OUT OF MALISE IS JUST WRONG. YOU NEED TO REMEMBER ONE VERY IMPORTANT MORRAL PHILOSPHY "WHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND" I WISH YOU ALLLL THE LUCK AND MAY NEPTUNE WATCH OVER YOU WHILE ON THE WATER

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Easy, D-time.

I agree with you that what is described sounds like a malicious booby trap.

Fortunately, it is very illegal to set traps like that. Not only would he probably get a felony assault charge, he would be liable for all damages.

That is what happens to shopkeepers who set traps for burglars resulting in injury; it sure as heck ought to cover traps set in public waters to damage boats that may be in distress.

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also glad to see some of the boaters on the water are willing to take the higer ground and do the right thing. Now to address the comment of "took a 8' pole that i slip under the top of the dock so it sticks out a few feet either side of the dock.So someone could try to dock if the want a pole sticking thru their boat" YOU SHOULD BE ASHEMED OF YOUR SELF!!! THAT IS A HORIBE THING TO DOO TO ANY ONE EVEN IF YOU DONT KNOW THEM!!! THIS LADY EVEN IF SHE WAS INCONCIDERATE DID NOTHING TO HARM YOU OR YOUR PRESSIOUS DOCK ALL YOU HAD WAS SOME INCONVENCE TO YOUR LIFE AND YOU WERE TRYING TO CAPITOLIZE ON SOMEONE ELSES MISSFOUTUNES. NOW YOU HAVE THE ORDACITY TO PLACE A DEVICE THAT COULD HARM SOME ONE ESLE OR THEIR PROPERTY IF THEY ARE IN DISTRESS. WHAT HAPPEN TO MARITIME RULES TO HELP OTHER BOATERS IN NEED IF YOU ARE ABLE TO. I BETYOU WOULD JUST MOTOR PASST A DROWNING SWIMMER BECAUSE YOU ARE BETTER THAN THEM!!! I DONT GET ANGERY WITH PEOPLE BUT TO DO SOMETHING TO OTHER PEOPLE OUT OF MALISE IS JUST WRONG. YOU NEED TO REMEMBER ONE VERY IMPORTANT MORRAL PHILOSPHY "WHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND" I WISH YOU ALLLL THE LUCK AND MAY NEPTUNE WATCH OVER YOU WHILE ON THE WATER

The pole is bright orange they can see it before they dock and their is five other docks they can use.Im all for helping but leaving their boat at my dock for three days because you are to lazy to go get gas is a whole other story.I put the pole their when a neighborer informed me they thought i knew the lady because they see her their all the time using it.Now if im a bad person because i wont let people use my property whenever they feel like it i guess im just a prick.

sockos

Cadet

You say she does this often? How far away is the gas station? 3 days by foot.
I'm sure if you took a poll not many people here would let their dock be used as a refueling/transient station.
What would happen if there was a refueling fire, or she slipped and fell off your dock breaking a leg(or worse)?.... LAWSUIT!
At least cover your butt and tack up a small private dock sign.
You are right as far as I'm concerned.

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Easy, D-time.

I agree with you that what is described sounds like a malicious booby trap.

Fortunately, it is very illegal to set traps like that. Not only would he probably get a felony assault charge, he would be liable for all damages.

That is what happens to shopkeepers who set traps for burglars resulting in injury; it sure as heck ought to cover traps set in public waters to damage boats that may be in distress.
How can it be i booby trap it is bright orange and easy to see?

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Post a sign

PRIVATE PROPERTY!
DO NOT USE DOCK WITHOUT
OWNER'S PERMISSION!

Then the next time you can have the authorities remove the boat.

The pole thing seems a bit carried away. The last laugh will be on you when you run into it with your boat by accident.

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello All New to Iboats
I have a boat that was abandoned in Hingham Harbor Ma. It landed in front of my son in laws dock. Checked with Coast Guard and harbormasters in four towns they all said it was considered a hazard floating around the harbor and abandonded after 30 days if no-one claimed it. Enter MA Dept of Envir Prot to apply for a title. What a nightmare. After several months they finally found the original owner. He had sold it a couple of years prior - the new owners just let it float all over the harbor. I proceeded to restore it during the waiting period and spoke to a Maritime Attorney. His advice was " Have your son in law write a bill of sale for $1.00 and restore it. Keep records of your time and costs and if anyone claims it they could have it back after reimbursing you for your efforts.
It's a 15 ft 1965 Alum Duratech Neptune with a 73 Johnson 50 hp (35mph). Looks great and we enjoy it. I'm considering replacing the Johnson with a 2000 Evinrude 30 HP ELPT (+/- 100 hours) and installing Teleflex.

Hope that helps a bit. Any thoughts on my propsed engine swap/
Thanks Tony

"MA Dept of Envir Prot"?? I know MA is confused, but what the heck? Does the MA Dept of Motor Vehicles look for polluters?

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe a bit much with the pole,but one of those fed up things.Love where i live on the river but you never see the DNR on my section of river and it has become a haven for idiots.The chain of lakes area has the Fox river waterway agency we have seem to have nothing on our stretch of river.I use to keep my boat at the dock now i have to keep it out till i get a shore station.We have a lot of wake board boats out here and none of them seem to know you are suppose to stay away form the docks they will come within a few feet of the docks all the time.We tried putting out buoys thinking they would stay on the other side , but they started to use them as a slalom course.I just amazes me how dumb they can be how someone has not crashed into the dock is beyond me.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just amazes me how dumb they can be how someone has not crashed into the dock is beyond me.

Ah, but when they do, they will probably try and sue. Saying you should have marked it with a big orange pole so they could see it.:rolleyes:
Or that it is your fault because your dock was in their way.:eek:

At our lake in Wisconsin, there is a law that states "no wake within 100' of shore". And it is strictly enforced. A wake boarder cannot get within a few feet of a dock and the boat be outside 100'.

Keep reporting the idiots until DNR gets tired of the calls and finaly comes out and does something about it.

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I thought a hundred feet here also, but when no one is there ever to enforce anything i guess it really doesn't matter.

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeaaaah, about the pole, I'd say even if it's bright orange you're setting your self up for a lawsuit. What if it's an emergency or dark? I'd say you could be charged with malicious injury at the least.
Does your dock have a sign stating it's private property? If not, I'm going to take and educated guess and say you don't have a leg to stand on. It could easily be presumed to be a public dock. If it's that important to you that others don't use it, post a sign and call the authorities when unauthorized folks use it.
Not that I don't emphathize with Eedward, too. Suppose someone tied up to his dock and left there boat there and something on his dock rubbed a hole in the pontoon and it sunk. A lot of folks would come back and try to say it was his fault and he should cover their loss. There again, I think his best protection is a "Private Property, unathorized users will be reported to the authorities and your boat may be confiscated." sign.
But, really the bottom line here should be courtesy. Had she left a note giving the circumstances, etc. It probably would have been no big deal. But, surely she wasn't blocking the whole dock, either.

Just my .02 worth.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I am sorry you would do something like that. I hope you never need help on anything in the future. Sometimes a "beer run" is really a potty run for women. Yes they should ask, I would say that is the correct thing to do, BUT... what if the owner of the dock is not there?

Back to the original subject. Be kind, anything could have happened to the lady, possible abduction? I would call police just to be sure, always try to see the best in people first, the old saying goes screw me once shame on you, twice shame on me. Let's give her the benefit of doubt. Wouldn't you all feel terrible if something bad happened to her?

Oh get real. If you'd bothered to read my posts, you see that I was defending the woman and the dock owner. And that my comment was in jest, hence the :) face.

For you people that don't, or have never owned lake property, you have no idea what can and does go on, out on the lake.

Suffice it to say, it isn't worth the hassle unless its a large private lake, and then it isn't worth the price or the restrictions. I will never own waterfront property again. Thankfully, there are 10,000 public lakes in my state.

FishyFish

Chief Petty Officer

PRIVATE PROPERTY!
DO NOT USE DOCK WITHOUT
OWNER'S PERMISSION!

Have you ever bought a candy bar where on the inside of the wrapper you can win a Million dollars instantly, but it also says " No Purchased needed to win?.......Is that another one of those.....OxyMORONs? How can you get permission....unless....you....use....the....Dock?

My head hurts!

If there was no pain or suffering from either party why not just let it go.
Life is to short.