Abandoned boat

pduquette

Ensign
Re: Abandoned boat

Didn't you state that the owner ,( a woman always seen driving it ) was the one who docked it ? Why haven't the police been sent to her place to ask WTF (where's the fule ) ?? If some one can I.D. her , they can point the cops to where she lives. peter

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

I woke up Sunday morning to find a pontoon boat tied to my dock and no one around talked to the neighborers i guess someone ran out of gas.Well its Tuesday and they have not returned so do i get to keep it?Thinking of pulling it out, but can i charge storage then?
hope she isn't floating face down under it while you guys make up your mind what to do

FishyFish

Chief Petty Officer

I saw somewhere, via internet you can type in boat registration or hull # and you can find the last owner. You can save alot of anger and frustration while you sit at your computer, having a cup of coffee and a Breakfast muffin, and maybe help someone find their lost or stolen boat. That's what we do here, help others....right?

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

So do we have an update I am curious now.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Call the police. They can track the owner and notify them to remove it. I doubt a private citzen would be given that info. If not removed/claimed within a certain amount of time you may become the owner of a new pontoon.
Who knows. It may have been reported stolen by the rightful owner.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

update please, i am curious if its still there, if it is... i say we have an Iboats party on it :D i call shotgun

sockos

Cadet

I was watching a TV show the other night about a family thats in the repo business, and I thought of your problem.
Alot of people just through their hands up and walk away from debt.
I hope this isn't the case because I still want a free government bowrider!
Please let us know how this ends!

jonesg

Admiral

Freedom is doing the right thing when you have a legal right to do the wrong thing. I observe a lot of folks ain't free.

I see them on ebay all the time, grabbing for every penny they can, its that new disease "affluenza".

I ain't sayin, I'm just sayin.;)

Kiwi Phil

Commander

The first stop (immediately) should be the police.
Something is not right, and although there is probably a simple explanation, there may well be some pretty serious stuff happened.
As a good citizen in your community I believe it is your duty to take the matter to the police.....think about it.....what if the woman is floating face down around the corner.
Cheers
Phillip

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Hmmm..it appears the OP was so confused with all this helpful information he has taken his problem elsewhere....:p

wkearney99

Cadet

Not stolen the same women always seen driving it was the one that docked it.

Perhaps she was drunk at the time, the forgot where she left it after walking home. Might also explain not leaving a note or talking to anyone (with booze on her breath).

Best bet is to call the cops and ask them to sort it out.

lovemywife

Seaman Apprentice

I am with thajeffski, why does everyone want to make a buck for nothing. It is real easy, call the police they can run the registration and contact the owner. If need be they can have it towed as abandon property. They can also leave it there for a week or two if you allow, maybe the owner will come get it. Who knows what caused this incident. Yep I am a cop who will never understand why people just cant be nice.

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

I think in this day and age people are used to getting screwed over for everything and look at something this to see how to profit, its how they get treated by corporations and their government...the reaction is to be expected.

This is a societal issue caused by greed and our institutions have led the way forward in this kind of thinking.

Myself I look at this from a different perspective and wonder if something bad didn't happen to the owner and docking the boat in this location was the fastest way off the water into a waiting ambulance or maybe even suicide. Sounds like the boat is of substancial value and its unlikely a crook would have taken the time to dock it safely after a theft.

I hope the owner is OK and something bad didn't happen to them, all of these are good reasons to contact the authorities. I hope it all works out for the best and no one is hurt, if it turns out to just be a drunk docking incident I would be extremely disappointed...another good reason to involve the police.

In either case I would pull the boat out of the way and hang on to it for safety, a lock through the boat onto your dock would prevent a sudden disappearance and ensure the boat isn't stolen. Its your dock and at this point you are in possession of it even if you are not the owner, it would be Christian to ensure its safety until the issue is resolved.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Check it for registration papers. Some people keep them in the first aid box (if it has one)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

For those people saying leave it there theyre not causing any harm; what if you had a lakefront property, you have to get home in a hurry ( relative on death bed or such); and when you get there someones boat is there. would you be happy? if it happened to me, lets just say that boats owners better leave the state.

Ok, maybe she was the one that got the emergency cell phone call that a family member was seriously ill.

Tied up the boat and had "jimmy" pick her up on his way past, - to save time -, on the way to the hospital.

So, go ahead and be pissed of that "your" dock is being used. Depending on the state you live in, the dock may not even belong to you, and most certainly the water the boat is floating in doesn't.

Call it in, secure it, and wait a week or two.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I understand that, but she is using someones property, i said what i did in a way that if someone is using your dock because you live by a beer store or something, and you had to get into your dock, and someone else was there, i wouldent be happy. but you have a valid point.