value of 14' jon boat

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
i have been offered a 14' jonboat for a trade

"I have a Flat bottom jon. Comes with two swivle seats, dept/fish finder and minkota troll motor. I used this boat prinarily for duck hunting and fishing small streams. I need just a little more time to get out to where I have the boat stored to take pics. The boat is in great shape so is the trailer. I will put new tires on trailer if we can reach an agreement."
I also have been offered $1000 cash, do you think the jon boat is worth $1000?
i live in the trenton nj area
EDIT: He offered me his 9.9 johnson running if he keeps the trailer

Could this handle the open river and the bays better then a 12 ft v skiff lowe boat?

Attachments

• HPIM0912.JPG
    HPIM0912.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0913.JPG
    HPIM0913.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0914-1.JPG
    HPIM0914-1.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 0

mphy98

Lieutenant
Re: value of 14' jon boat

sounds fair to me. looks like a decent small lake fishing platform.

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

Would it handle the river and barnegat bay? also could i just use rustoleum paint to cover the camo? even under the waterline?

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I would think boat and trailer is worth 5-600. Motor is runnng good 4-500. So $1000 would be fair if the motor is included. If he won't wont budge on the trade I'd take the cash.

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

he offered boat, and johnson 9.9 he says its mid to late 1970s with a trolling motor also. So you think thats a solid grand? i have a much better trailer anyway.
also 9.9s cost more then 4-500 on cl here its closer to 500-700
i figure i can sell my lowe 12' aluminum and 8hp for 7-800. 1993 8hp
how much is a trolling motor worth?

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

What Lion Hunter says. The fish finder and trolling motor are worth a couple hundred too,IF they both work.... I don't know your waters,but I wouldn't want to be on the Illinois river with just a trolling motor.

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

i wouldnt either. i'll probably be using his 9.9 or my 8.0. what has more power 1993 8.0 johnson or 197- 9.9 johnson?

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

You right, alot is going to depend on local markets and CL is a good place to compare. Around here electric start 9.9 with controls go for 7-800. Pull starts with tillers run anywhere from 4-600. I don't know how well boats with no trailers do, they seem to be in the 2-400 range but they spend alot of time on there.
Biggest factor is that if your happy with the boat, motor, and all the gear for a grand I'd go for it.

I didn't actually include all the xtras on my first guess so it may be right in the ball park.

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

for a boat like that its closer to 400-500 bucks
everythings so gosh darn expensive in jersey
and im happy i just have to convince my dad to takee the boat.
could i just use rustoleum and paint completely over the camo?

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

That depends on the type of paint he used for the camo. All you can do is try a test spot and see if the rustoleum will be compatible. It might be OK. Or it might lift the old paint like paint remover. You have to sand it anyway,the camo might possibly sand right off.

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

ill find out monday when i recieve the boat

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

May depend on the type of rustoleum. Take a look at the thread under my sig. My boat is painted with rustoleum, I sprayed it on (not rattle cans). There are may others in the restoration thread using it as well with the roll and tip method with good results. The biggest step is the prep. I wouldn't spray right over the old paint. Too many contaminates on it and the paint will not adhere well. At a minimum sand with 220 and feather all the bare spots in. Coat bare spoats with self etching primer so the paint will stick. No need to sand to bare metal if you don't have to.

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

well we decided to take the $1000 after all instead of the boat