Need help with engine id on140hp johnson

keith horne

Cadet
Tag no longer on motor. what i can find on right side of block is #397505 140 3 27al 1 on freeze out #j140txcdc
g7153021
On the heads is#328624-4. Can anyone tell me what year this engine was bulit and if its a looper
Also on top of the cylinders/heads is two boxes 1 large box #5830460a11u25 sitting on top of that box is a smaller box with #3bn-oa I know this is a lot of info but need to know year of engine so i can order shop manual]
as i read it is much better than clymer or so on brands that cover other years and models that is of know help and shop manual is much better. Hope someone can help this fool.P.S it runs great with kick__ power.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need help with engine id on140hp johnson

1986 yr. as for the cross flow looper question,its easier for ME this way,if you have 4 carbs.that are black plastic,perhaps a large black carb front that says v-4 and the peices under the removable cover(cowling)are plastic. You have a looper. If its a 2 carb that are made of all aluminum,the piece under the cover (cowling) is alum its a crossflow The pan under the cover on a looper will have a bolt in the rear and under the front of the motor and when these (and a couple clips inside)are removed the pieces will split to allow service.The heads on a looper have bolts to hold it to the block,while a crossflow has head bolts plus a water jacket cover with alot of smaller bolts for the water jacket,loopers dont have water jackets.

DUKE1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Keith,

Here's what I got from your listed numbers.
J-Johnson
140-HP
T-Tilt & Trim equipped w/electric start
X-25 inch shaft
C-8
D-6
C-Model Run

I have one as well...great engine. Mines a looper. I look at the back as well...I'm told if it has a bubble shape at the base of the head its a crossflow and if its straight with a angle then straight its a looper.

Hope this helps. I had a SELOC manual but didn't like it...so I got a Johnson shop manual....highly recommend this over others.

DUKE1

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

As above, the engine is a 1986 140hp Johnson looper. The last Crossflow 140hp was manufactured in 1984.