Fresh 1959 Evinrude Barn Find

Some times you get lucky. I was told this engine has less than 100 hours on it. It was stored right and started every few years. I put it on today and fire on the 2nd pull. I believe the the hours. But I don't know what is the life span of outboard motors. What can I expect with this one.

Thanks
Marc
picasaweb.google.com/hotrodnova/35HPEVINRUDE?authkey=Gv1sRgCJWpkYr6wYG9mgE&feat=directlink

bolter15

Cadet
Re: Fresh 1959 Evinrude Barn Find

Rubber parts will not age well. So look for water pump failure to come sooner than you might expect. Lower unit seals and such will also suffer with time. Well stored metal can be timeless. But the rubber stuff will age and rot.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Rubber parts will not age well. So look for water pump failure to come sooner than you might expect. Lower unit seals and such will also suffer with time. Well stored metal can be timeless. But the rubber stuff will age and rot.

Also, the ignition coils. The plastic covering is almost guaranteed to have cracked by now. New ones are available right here at iboats.

Properly restored and maintained and not misused, abused, or put in salt water, it just might be around for another 50 years. Hard to say....

You know that 1959 was the 50th Aniversary of Evinrude, right? This year is the 100th.

Attachments

• Cracked coils2.jpg
    Cracked coils2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

If I remember correctly, someone told me that these motors had a specificaton for life expectancy of 1000 hrs at WOT. That's a lot of fishing.
I had an 18, now have a 20 and a 25, basically the same motor. I agree with changing out the rubber parts and coils and plug wires.

coolguy147

Commander

got the same motor runs great love to see some pictures

rayodunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your picture link is not working on the forum so I posted your pictures for you.
Motor looks real nice and clean.
DSC03922.JPG

DSC03925.JPG

DSC03919.JPG

DSC03923.JPG

jbjennings

Captain

Very nice motor! It looks like the head has never been off and definitely never an overheat. I'm a little disappointed there's not a full pic of the whole rig!:p I, personally think your motor will far outlast its owner if it is taken care of. They may have engineered them for 1000 hrs, I don't know, but I'll bet there's lots of them running that have 3 times that many.
Too cool!
JBJ

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Nice looking engine. Too bad no electric start though. But it just gets in the way when you wanna take the carb off anyway! :)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I'm jealous. Why is it that it always somebody else that finds such prizes? That motor in that condition deserves the finest service and care. Do it right and don't muck it up. You have a valuable showpiece motor there. Can I borrow it and take it to an aomci meet? I need to win at least one trophy in my lifetime.

coolguy147

Commander

oh i thought u had a little 10hp like mine lol

well i do have a 1958 johnson 35hp basically the same thing as yours. except mine has a 1959 hood for some reason. dont matter i like the 1959 model better then the 1958.

ya i mean i weigh like 130-135 pounds and im turning 15 soon. i tried pull starting that thing and its really hard to pull start. thank god i have electric start on the one i use:D

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

That's tooo sweet! Look at all the room in there to reach everything. Wish my 78 Rude wasn't so cramped.