Resin Application Rollers

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What does everyone use for rollers when rolling out poly resin? I just bought some, I believe they are glassright brand, $7 and change a piece. I will be using them to role out 1 1/2oz mat and 1808 biax. Is there something they sell at HD or lowes that will work just as good? Also one other question. I can't seem to remember what is used for cleaning poly resin off your tools. MEK or acetone? I know one works for epoxy and the other for poly, I just can't remember which. Thanks

drewpster

Commander
Re: Resin Application Rollers

I use the cheapest paint rollers I can find. I buy them at Dollar General store for $3 for 6 rollers. Cant see the advantage to buying specialty rollers for poly resin. In fact the 9 inch rollers are less expensive than the 4 inch ones. I buy the nines and cut them to fit my roller handle.
I use acetone to clean my stuff. Lacquer thinner when I use epoxy, but either will work.

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info drewpster

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Like he said, just get the cheapest six pack you can find and chuck em when they get hard or you're done. Don't get carried away trying to clean cheap brushes either, get a box of cheap China bristle in the size you need. You end up using more acetone to clean brushes than what they cost.

reelfishin

Captain

I have become fond of hard foam rollers that I've bought for years at the local hardware store. They are black or gray foam over a cardboard tube, they are also great for general painting when you want a smooth finish. I buy full sized rollers and cut them for my smaller roller frames.

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the info everyone. Next batch of rollers will be coming from HD, any way to save money helps.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

get the cheapest six pack you can find and chuck em when they get hard or you're done.

With deference, the less we chuck the better. Try the cheap natural bristle brushes instead of the nylon bristle. They cost just a little more (6 for $4.99 at Lowes). Soak them in a little acetone and you can reuse for resin.

Of course, if they get hard, you gotta "chuck".

Recycle when you can.