Did I get a good deal?

DYLBOSS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know this could be a dangerous question to ask and potentially hurt my ego, but I'm gonna do it anyway. So, I just bought a 1996 Rinker Captiva 212Cuddy for $5800. Overall really good condition, some marks on the hull, mostly superficial. Couple of minor gel coat patches needed, dime size just below the rub strip. Hull has a layer of old paint on it that needs to be removed (Was originally going to be used in salt, but they changed their minds). Interior is in great condition. Only 1 rope burn on the back deck area. All seats are unblemished. Floor is solid. Carpet on deck needs to be cleaned or replaced.

Motor is a 5.7 Merc with Alpha One drive. Motor looks and sounds clean. Fires right up. Clean oil. Outdrive looks clean too. Prop clean, couple very very minor nicks. No hour meter, so not sure on that. Didn't sound like the previous owners used it much. 3-4 times per season. There are a couple water stains on the walls of the cuddy, but I think that is just a reseal needed on the hull/deck joint. Came with 4 type II vests and 2 type V, 3 fenders, tow line, anchor, tandem trailer in good shape, hummingbird fish/depth finder, newer canvas cockpit cover, full bimini/back cover (fair condition). I'm going to see if she'll actually float this weekend.

Thoughts? Sorry for the lame pic quality.

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Did I get a good deal?

Nice looking boat. A 21 ft cuddy must have a generous size cuddy. A lot of a boats worth is what its worth to the buyer. If it fits your needs, and it is ship-shape, it was a good deal.

Regarding the water stains, get the hose and have someone blast the bow deck while you check inside for leaks and shout directions on where to point the hose. Pay attention to the rail mounts and any other thru-hull mounts, like those nifty portals.

Pick up a gel coat patch kit and touch up the chips. From a few feet no one will notice.

BTW, good clean upholstery is usually a good sign that the previous owners cared about the boat and treated it well.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

i dont think you did to bad; pretty good motor drive combination. but there are some things that you failed to mention and you realy need to check befor you use it much. along with a good over all enging looking over and checking and running on muffs before you take it out

the conditon of the bellows, lower shift cable and bellow and the oil+condition of the impeller in the lower unit.
these seem to be over looked by new boat oweners or problem areas for sellers that dont want to mess with them.

if you go to the murcruiser I/O section you will find manuals, answers to any more drive questions, and help to move you along from here

enjoy your new boat

DYLBOSS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i dont think you did to bad; pretty good motor drive combination. but there are some things that you failed to mention and you realy need to check befor you use it much. along with a good over all enging looking over and checking and running on muffs before you take it out

the conditon of the bellows, lower shift cable and bellow and the oil+condition of the impeller in the lower unit.
these seem to be over looked by new boat oweners or problem areas for sellers that dont want to mess with them.

if you go to the murcruiser I/O section you will find manuals, answers to any more drive questions, and help to move you along from here

enjoy your new boat

Good thoughts. Thanks for the tips. I had an experienced boater with me when I bought it. I think he did a good job looking it over. I do need to have a closer look at the bellows as well as the oil/condition of the impeller though.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

I gotta say that is a pretty good deal. I saw a 92 Rinker 212 Captiva with a 5.7 and Captain's Call exhaust in a magazine for $4K. Well, I called and the guy said the only problem was the exhaust was stuck on "loud." No big deal, I thought, I wouldn't mind that. I drive 2.5 hours to look at this thing, every seat is ripped, outdrive is shot, a foot of standing water in the cockpit, not to mention in the cabin as well, faded paint, this thing should have been in the scrap yard. Needless to say, as soon as I attempted to climb in the boat and the ladder broke and threw me on my @$$, I was out of there. The guy called and asked if I was still interested, and I just laughed and hung up. I was looking for a turn-key boat, but looks like I missed that as well. . Oh well, I'll just dream about being able to go boating again one day.

DYLBOSS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh my. I'm so sorry. I couldn't help but laugh at the ladder part though :D I made a commitment to myself that I wouldn't drive too far for this very reason. Been burned before as well with this.

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

5 hour round trip just to see a POS with a foot of standing water... insult to injury (almost literally) you get a fall on your arse for your efforts. Unbelievable. I would have had some choice words for him before I left.

TilliamWe

Banned

"Did I get a good deal?"

No. But it's too late now. Get out there and go boating!

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think the price was fair and it looks like a nice boat, I guess the $5800 looked good to the seller so everbodies happy. :D

Good luck with it, glad you got a 350. :cool:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think $5800 for that size boat in good condition with a 5.7 is a pretty darn good deal.

DYLBOSS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"Did I get a good deal?"

No. But it's too late now. Get out there and go boating!

Really? Why do you say that? I was looking online and saw the same boat in a little better shape going for $9800. They were originally asking $8000 and then started getting more aggressive with the sale, so they dropped it down to $6000. They said that price was firm, but there's always room to move. $200 off seemed their already seemingly low asking price seemed fair.

bad_boy

Banned

Really? Why do you say that? I was looking online and saw the same boat in a little better shape going for $9800. They were originally asking $8000 and then started getting more aggressive with the sale, so they dropped it down to $6000. They said that price was firm, but there's always room to move. $200 off seemed their already seemingly low asking price seemed fair.

You did fine, you knew you were setting yourself up for comments like this. My guess is this guy has a glorified rowboat and really has no idea about the value of your boat. Who cares what anyone else thinks anyway, obviously you are happy with the deal and it seems like you did your homework so get off this board and get on the damn water!!!!!!!!

DYLBOSS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You did fine, you knew you were setting yourself up for comments like this. My guess is this guy has a glorified rowboat and really has no idea about the value of your boat. Who cares what anyone else thinks anyway, obviously you are happy with the deal and it seems like you did your homework so get off this board and get on the damn water!!!!!!!!

LOL. Ok, I'll put this to bed. Just looking for confirmation that I didn't get ripped off. Putting it in the water tomorrow morning. Hopefully it floats :rolleyes: I guess then I'll truly know if it was a good deal.

DYLBOSS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, put her in the water today for the first time. Everything was rock solid, no problems at all. Engine was smooth, bilge was dry (mostly, pump never turned on). Had her out for 5 hours without any issues. I guess I can safely say I got a good deal. She didn't sink...

Thanks for the advice and tips to all.;)

TilliamWe

Banned

Hey bad boy, I owned a 1997 Chaparral 2135 cuddy, which is the same length and style of boat that this guy bought. So I know exactly what I am talking about.

If someone wants to come on to a bulletin board, after they buy a boat, and ask if they got a good deal, they need to be prepared to hear the truth.

In his original post he described a boat that is 13 years old, needs carpet, bottom paint, hull repair, some type of burn on the "back deck", "fair" canvas, and has an Alpha drive, with unknown hours. Yes, the 5.7 is nice and the newer cockpit cover sounds nice too.
But a "good deal", no. If you think so, have I got a boat I can sell you!

TilliamWe

Banned

Why was the bilge wet at all? Did it have water in it prior to launch? Or did several people get in and out of the water while you were out? There's no reason for there to be any water in the bilge, if it was dry at launch and noone dripped water into the boat.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yea really what a dumb question.

If you felt you got a good deal in the first place you would have no reason to come on here and ask or talk about said deal.
How would we know if you got a good deal anyhow ? We have no inspected the boat and a good deal to you might be a bad deal to someone else, as you found out you. Also the price you paid seems like fair market value

Find a boat like yours for sale with as sky high out of line prices does not make a good deal.

Glad you like that boat and it still seems like a nice one to me. Enjoy. :cool: