Fiberglass repair shop

rottie98

Cadet
Hello all i got a boat that my b-in law gave me and the hull needs some fiberglass repairs to it. I was wondering if anybody could recommend anybody on here that does good work I was going to do it myself but I really dont want to mess it up. I also wanted to get it gel-painted after the repairs. I live in Bucks county PA outside of Philadelphia.

Thanks John

redfury

Commander
Re: Fiberglass repair shop

what is the extent of the repairs? You may find that it's 10x cheaper to do it yourself and not all that hard depending on how involved the repair actually is....plenty of people willing to give you step by step instructions. ;)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

welcome to i boats.....
i live in canada so i cant give you a glass shop close...

but i can suggest to read lots of posts here.....re gellcoating your boat is about the last thing you want to do.....tons of work

rottie98

Cadet

what is the extent of the repairs? You may find that it's 10x cheaper to do it yourself and not all that hard depending on how involved the repair actually is....plenty of people willing to give you step by step instructions. ;)

Well I dont think it is to bad. there are alot of little holes all around the boat look like holes from screws who knows, then there are some damage on the bottom the hull that looks like somebody tried to fix but i dont trust it, they fixed it with bondo I really wont know what damage is until i tear out the floor. there is a crack at the tip of the boat sorry i really dont know all the termology yet of all the boat parts.
what I will try and do is get some pics together and put them on here and really would appreciate all the help I can get.
It most like wont be for a while to I get on this project im in the middle of rebuilding the lower gearcase right now.

rottie98

Cadet

welcome to i boats.....
i live in canada so i cant give you a glass shop close...

but i can suggest to read lots of posts here.....re gellcoating your boat is about the last thing you want to do.....tons of work

Ok then let me ask you a question after I fix the repairs that need to be dont what do i do about the paint. right now it is this ugly lime green and I absolutly hate it. ??

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Good lord ain't that the truth!!!!

Been working on mine for 2 weeks now :(

redfury

Commander

Ok then let me ask you a question after I fix the repairs that need to be dont what do i do about the paint. right now it is this ugly lime green and I absolutly hate it. ??

Lots of possibilities for paint, most common being painting with fine closed cell rollers and using a marine paint. If the boat is going to sit in the water for extended periods of time, then you will want an ablative paint for below the waterline, otherwise you can use what they call "topside" paints on the whole boat if it's trailered most of the time. Lots of choices for the basic paint colors. Interlux, Pettit, and even Rustoleum has a marine paint that has been used and tested on the board here pretty extensively.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's easy and straight forward to repair the screw holes in the deck. But you may not want to tackle a glass job below the waterline for your first project. It's too important. Find a pro to do that work. Then if you're up to it and want to, you could try your hand at painting it. Just my thoughts.

Ask around the marina, or even look on craigslist for independent fiberglass help. But be sure to get and check references on those guys... some are not that skilled.

rottie98

Cadet

It's easy and straight forward to repair the screw holes in the deck. But you may not want to tackle a glass job below the waterline for your first project. It's too important. Find a pro to do that work. Then if you're up to it and want to, you could try your hand at painting it. Just my thoughts.

Ask around the marina, or even look on craigslist for independent fiberglass help. But be sure to get and check references on those guys... some are not that skilled.

thanks for the the info. I will start asking around i know my marina does the repairs but i know they would charge me an arm and a leg

rottie98

Cadet

cid__0814091008.jpg

cid__0814091008a.jpg

cid__0814091009.jpg

cid__0814091009a.jpg

cid__0814091010.jpg

cid__0814091010a.jpg

northrivergeek

Seaman Apprentice

I would say the fiberglass damage what looks to be a rotted transom is going to run you 2000 - 3000 then if you do re-gelcoat your looking at at least another 2000 maybe up to 4000 , by the age of the boat and what its going to cost you you would be better off to find a different boat, you can find boats with no motor that is in better shape than yours .. but if you really like the boat and plan on keeping it at least another 10 yrs then get it fixed.

You could do the whole project your self for less than 1500 to replace all the wood in the boat and the fiberglass mat and resin.
Good paint that will last is not cheap it will run you 75 - 125 per gallon, plus you will need a good epoxy primer too..

I personally would tackle this myself ... instead of paying to have it done .. but then again .. I know how to do it now .. my first fiberglass boat was a wreck .. rotted transom, floor and stringers but had a solid engine.. I searched the internet and asked around for info , went to library absorbed everything I could lay my hands on ... finally after 3 months of research decided to jump in there .. that was back in 94 .... 14 years later Ive now rebuilt 7 of my own finishing up number 8 .. and have done many more for friends and their friends.

You dont know how good you have it .. back then almost nothing was on the net.. heck back then the net was almost wasnt and you got charged by the hour lol.
But with this forum and many others as well as books and videos, there is no reason you cant do it your self ! If you can hold a grinder, and sawzall, skill saw, sander, paint brush and roller.. not all at the same time lol .. you can do this !!!

Nothing hard about laying fiberglass, more messy than hard, the color of the boat you can change with paint, ( marine paint ) or urethane automotive paint, if its above the rub rail, ( but you need the right spray equip ) below the rub rail use marine paint made for below the water line.

rottie98

Cadet

I would say the fiberglass damage what looks to be a rotted transom is going to run you 2000 - 3000 then if you do re-gelcoat your looking at at least another 2000 maybe up to 4000 , by the age of the boat and what its going to cost you you would be better off to find a different boat, you can find boats with no motor that is in better shape than yours .. but if you really like the boat and plan on keeping it at least another 10 yrs then get it fixed.

You could do the whole project your self for less than 1500 to replace all the wood in the boat and the fiberglass mat and resin.
Good paint that will last is not cheap it will run you 75 - 125 per gallon, plus you will need a good epoxy primer too..

I personally would tackle this myself ... instead of paying to have it done .. but then again .. I know how to do it now .. my first fiberglass boat was a wreck .. rotted transom, floor and stringers but had a solid engine.. I searched the internet and asked around for info , went to library absorbed everything I could lay my hands on ... finally after 3 months of research decided to jump in there .. that was back in 94 .... 14 years later Ive now rebuilt 7 of my own finishing up number 8 .. and have done many more for friends and their friends.

You dont know how good you have it .. back then almost nothing was on the net.. heck back then the net was almost wasnt and you got charged by the hour lol.
But with this forum and many others as well as books and videos, there is no reason you cant do it your self ! If you can hold a grinder, and sawzall, skill saw, sander, paint brush and roller.. not all at the same time lol .. you can do this !!!

Nothing hard about laying fiberglass, more messy than hard, the color of the boat you can change with paint, ( marine paint ) or urethane automotive paint, if its above the rub rail, ( but you need the right spray equip ) below the rub rail use marine paint made for below the water line.

WOW!! I didnt think it would cost that much to have somebody else do it.
Yea I think I will try and fix it my self. I am very handy and mechanically inclined. I am a carpenter so I have alot of tools. I also have spray equiptment that i use to spray my wood projects. I think i may just wait to next year in the beginning of spring to tackle this.. no sense in doing it now by the time i would finish it would be winter.
Thanks for all the info

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea save your self now and save up for 2 years and buy a better boat

jonesg

Admiral

Start now, it'll be ready for final touches come spring.
Weather will soon start cooling down in a few weeks but you can still pick at it in the early hrs and late afternoon.

Oh yeh, quit your job.:p