Omc Bellows

David Rusen

Recruit
I have a 88 omc cobra outdrive that I'm replacing both bellows. The exhaust bellows connects to the outdrive with a clip ring. How does the u-joint bellows connect to the outdrive? The shaft and u-joints seem to be in the way. Pried the old boot out,but some pieces still stuck. Do I need to remove more parts? I'm a first timer and dont want to unseal more than I have to. Both bellows connect to the engine side with hose clamps but not the outdrive side. I'M waiting for a manuel to come but the suspense is killing me. HELP, THANK FOR ANY RESPONSE :::confused:

Last edited:

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Omc Bellows

Did you take the hinge pins out? Large 1/2 inch allen head bolts on the side if the gimble ring.
That will make the job so much faster..

All of the Cobra drives i have done use large stainless hose clamps.
The area where the drive bellows attach need to be clean for the new bellows to seal.You will need bellows adhesive too.
Place the clamps at about the 2 oclock position and tighten them down from the starboard side.

David Rusen

Recruit
Re: Omc Bellows

Yes I did pull outdrive at the allen head pivot bolts and like I say , the end of the bellows at the engine side connect with a hose clamp, The other side that connects to the outdrive is not clamped, it looks like it is sandwitched between something and in a groove maybe glued, I'm scratching my head. I could'nt dig it out with a screw driver theres no room because of the double u joint. it was torn out in pieces. Theres ngot to be something I'm doing wrong.