First Time Boat Restoration - Any Help/Guidance Appareciated!

Knotty1

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone!

These forums have been great so far -

I just picked up my first little runner... Not sure what year, make, or model it is.... all the tags are missing from the boat. I'm guessing it's around '60-'64. First thing would be if someone could tell me what I have! :confused:

I will post pics as I go... I've started on the upper fiber work and some of flooring... so far, I think things are going pretty good.

As for the motor...it has a '62 Evinrude Lark IV (40HP) with manual shift (Which I am told is the better motor). I have yet to try to turn it over but to the eye everything looks ok. This will be my biggest challenge as I know nothing about marine engines!

Anyway... Here's some pics to start you all off... I'm keeping them all on Picasa, so I hope you can access them... Let me know if there's a problem.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/sralvarez0/OurBoatJuly2509?authkey=Gv1sRgCK3MsujVsbin3wE&feat=directlink

Thanks to everyone for all your info & support to this marine newbie!

78ImperialT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: First Time Boat Restoration - Any Help/Guidance Appareciated!

thats a neat little boat you got there.

i have a 33 evinrude like the one you have there. i need coils for it though. good luck with it. thats one TORQY motor!

SeaVue

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Congratulations. First of all I want to tell you that the link works. Second, I have no idea what kind of boat that is since I?m a newbie myself. I just wanted to let you know that the link works and that I like your boat. It has a nice Ferrari Red color to it ;) Good luck!

maverickrv

Cadet

Knotty,

It looks exactly like my boat. Mine is a TrailerBoat manufacturer from the side plates. Not a lot of leg room in mine as it has 2x6 boards going across the boat, no backs like on yours. The light and cleat on the bow, exact same thing, the transom looks the same also, pretty much the same.

I was out last night for a little while with my son with a 55lb trolling motor as the 40hp motor still needs work. It is a heavy boat so the 55lb pushed slowly on high, also the wind was strong, but it is a very stable boat and takes very little to put into the water or get out of the water.

Hit me up if you want to chat some more.

eph445

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Knotty1,
Nice looking boat!
Here's an excellent thread started by "oops" http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392 lots of good info here with index. (THANKS OOPS!)
I'm a newbie also, just purchased a 1966 Duo for $350.00 that needs a lot of work. Old 35hp Mercury that runs pretty good. I'll definitly be following your thread as well as starting my own. I have pictures but not able to upload them yet due to file size. Good Luck.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

She looks to me like an Evinrude. Course, I could be wrong. She will be fun, though, I'm more certain of that. Stay the course!

Knotty1

Seaman Apprentice

Well here's an update... found myself a windshield frame... I had to modify it as the boat it came from was slightly wider... Now I just need glass or plexi when the time comes.

I've been reading up on the motor lately and have been able to locate the lower end bottom oil check screw... however! I have no idea where the upper vent screw is?? I've uploaded pics to the site... If anyone can point me in the right spot, that would be appreciated.

Thanks to all who have replied, and offered input!

Incidentally, if you notice any anomalies in the pics of the motor, please let me know! :) Thanks!

http://picasaweb.google.com/sralvarez0/OurBoatJuly2509?authkey=Gv1sRgCK3MsujVsbin3wE&feat=directlink

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Cool little project.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

My first suggestion is that since you said you don't know what you have then I have to assume you didn't get a registration or title for the boat. If this is so, then do that first. It would really suck to rebuild a boat and then not be able to use it because you can't title/register it. All states are different. Some states only require registration for smaller boats and some title them. I live in Illinois and everything is titled. Contact your state licensing agency (some states it is DMV, others DNR) and see what is required to get this done first.

Knotty1

Seaman Apprentice

My first suggestion is that since you said you don't know what you have then I have to assume you didn't get a registration or title for the boat. If this is so, then do that first. It would really suck to rebuild a boat and then not be able to use it because you can't title/register it. All states are different. Some states only require registration for smaller boats and some title them. I live in Illinois and everything is titled. Contact your state licensing agency (some states it is DMV, others DNR) and see what is required to get this done first.

Actually, I DO have the title and registration as well as the ownership & plate for the trailer! The fella I bought it from had it all!
All it says on the title is 15' runabout.. Lists (what I presume was the original) motor as a Johnson... not that the current Evinrude would be any different.
I'm in Canada, so not sure what what the rules/regs are just yet, but have some time before doing anything.

Thanks for all the comments, suggestions and support! Please keep them coming! (I need all the help I can get!)

Knotty1

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone heard of and know anything about "Viking" boats? I found a boat which is very similar in structure to mine and it had "Viking Fourteen" on it. I've tried searching but haven't been able to find much info.

Cheers.

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

good looking boat keep up good work, great idea get family involved.

Knotty1

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I have now flipped her over and am beginning to prep the hull. So far looks pretty good.

One thing I've noticed and wondering if anyone has any ideas... There are a few (2 especially) indents from the trailer rollers. Hasn't structurally damaged the hull to my knowledge, but wondering if there's a way to "pop" these out before I paint... Obviously these may return as the boat sits on the trailer when not in use... unless someone has some suggestions?

Thanks again...

Updated pics coming soon.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi knotty.....the glass is stressed in the bump areas........it might be a repair to the glass.....but i would need to see pics......

you could fill with a peanut butter mix....(with milled fibers).....then cover with a 1708 wrap.....but you will see the edges of the glass.

send pics.......i hope you dont have to cut the areas out.

cheers
oops

Knotty1

Seaman Apprentice

Hey oops.

Thanks for the input. I sure hope you're wrong about cutting them out!!!

I've updated my pics and u may be able to see them there. If not let me know, I'll see what I can do.

Cheers.

i386

Captain

Cool boat and great little engine too. Are you staying with cable steering or replacing with something more modern?

Knotty1

Seaman Apprentice

Cool boat and great little engine too. Are you staying with cable steering or replacing with something more modern?

Hi there. Probably stay with cable steering... frankly didn't know it could be changed over too easily.

What I really would be interested in is converting to electric trim! (If anyone knows if this can be fitted?)

Knotty1

Seaman Apprentice

Just a little update:

Setup the old Lark IV to give her a test. Turned over no problem.
However, couldn't get it to catch. I think my problem is the feed hose inside the portable fuel tank is old and decaying... I had to snip an inch or so off the end so I got a feeling it's just a fuel issue.

Anything else I should consider?

Knotty1

Seaman Apprentice

Update..........

Had my neighbour over yesterday and we were looking over the Lark... As it turns out, she's not getting any spark! :( Guess this means coil?? Plugs are virtually new, wires are intact and appear strong... Now the big question:
How big of a job is replacing coil for a newbie like me??
I've recently acquired a service manual so I would imagine the procedure is outline in there. Is this something I could tackle or should I leave it to a "seasoned" mariner?

Thanks.