Good Interior Fiberglass Paints?

hondakillrsx

Seaman
hey all,
I am getting ready to repaint the interior of my 16 foot Trophy fishing boat. I was wondering which paints are the best to use, I want it to be thick enough to fill some minor fiberglass cracks but not heavy. I have heard of people using bedliner but im not sure i would like that ruff of paint all over the boat, plus i would think that would be quite heavy. Any suggestions would be great! thanks.

Lane

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Good Interior Fiberglass Paints?

I am going to move this over to the Restoration Section Hondakiller. The paint experts reside over there. Good luck!

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not there yet with my project but I will be using awlgrip. It seems from everything I've been researching that awlgrip and imron seems to be the two popular choices.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Heya Honda,

I'll begin with saying no paint (not even gelcoat) will fill in pits, cracks or imperfections of any kind. The only item which fills in small imperfections is durabak (bedliner-esque stuff, but made for boat decks). If you wish to go durabak and want it easy on the feet you can order it without the chunks (creamy? ;)). I will likely be going the durabak no-chunks route, as I have dogs and I feel that will hold up the best. As for paints, you can buy whichever brand tickles your fancy, just be sure to get the matching brand primer, as they are not all the same. If you want a more durable finish without the durabak route, you can opt for gelcoat, which is the sasme stuff you see on the outside of fiberglass boats. It goes on thin (1/32"-1/16"), but is tough as nails. Gelcoat is really a tinted, slightly modified poly resin, so the same rules apply as coating something with resin.

So there you have it. No, I didn't make it easy, but seeing everyone is different, the choice you make has a lot to do with preference and not as much to do with "This works best, do it!" advice.

Cheers!