VW Beetle Restoration Technique

kimbill

Cadet
As a VW Beetle fan, I?m always reading the VW group for the latest fixes and maintenance. Recently, I ran across a posting about restoring old paint. The owner of a 1971 badly faded red Beetle posted his dramatic pictures and technique. ??.. Basically he hand rubbed with 1500 and 2000 grit, and rubbing compound. Scores of readers complimented the guy. As the owner of a badly faded ?88 red Four Winns, the results on that old red Beetle were encouraging. I?ve tried several commercial restoration products without much success. Do you think it?s possible old gelcoat might come back like old paint using a similar technique, or is it apples-'n-oranges?

Bill

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: VW Beetle Restoration Technique

I can tell you that it works on plastics as well. Had an old kawasaki that the green had turned white. Wet sanded with water and rubbing compund and it looked like new. I would find an inconspicous place and try it.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Gelcoat is different than paint. Might try a small area on your boat to check it out, though. I used rubbing compound (twice over) followed by Turtle wax to clean/restore the shine on my first boat...1973 Ebbtide 15-ft Lakemaster tri-hull...worked very well with little followup maintenance needed.

Rickairmedic

Commander

The issue is how bad is the gel coat ? if its just oxidised then color sanding and buffing will most likely make it look new again ( on solid colors ) Metal flake jobs are a totally differant animal :D.

Rick

kimbill

Cadet
Re: VW Beetle Restoration Technique (Again)

Re: VW Beetle Restoration Technique (Again)

I posted this originally, and had favorable responces..... The VW Beetle restorer guy did all the "sanding" by hand because he was afraid of going thru the paint -- I agree. Get too aqgressive with a buffer, and paint could disaapear on the curves....... However, since the hull sides of our old faded red Winns are quite flat surface, do you think a power buffer could be safely used vs hand sanding?

Bill

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

It could work. I would try buffing and waxing before I went to the trouble of hand sanding. If that won't remove the oxidation then your left with sanding as an option. I think rubbing compound is equivalent to 2000 grit paper. I always used a spray bottle of water to keep things lubricated and cool, the you are essentially wet sanding.