1979 Johnson 200HP stalling and starting...

grady183

Recruit
My brother just gave me his 1979 Grady White 183 Adventurer with a Johnson 200HP outboard. He had the engine totally rebuilt like 5 years ago and never ran it because he had a lot of work to do on the boat first...sadly for him it was not to be. :(

About three weeks ago I finished the boat and ran it for the first time. First I hooked up the ear-muffs and put about 5 gallons of 50:1 in the NEW tank. After some prodding, I got it going. I next took it to the local river and again it took a little prodding to start, then run, but after some aggravation and finessing I got it up and going. I just took it to Maine on vacation and had a lot of trouble starting it and getting it to get up on plane. Once I did get it on plane it ran fine and kept running (fast boat, 50 mph). Shut it off and let it go cold, go through the aggravation of starting it and finessing it up on plane (a bump of the choke just before throttling it helps most times). What a pain. The plugs are fouling out and I had to clean them like four times in one week. Interesting that the one side of the engine was more fouled than the other. I went to the local marina and the guy told me the carbs are fixed jets and there is no adjusting them, "sounds like an ignition problem". He thought maybe it was running on 3 cylinders, but when I told him once I get it going it goes like 50mph he said "well you got to have all 6 to do that, no question". He told me he could re-power the Grady for a mere 13K...yeah right. :eek:

Some basic information on my situation:

The fuel lines and fuel pumps are new, the tank is new, the primer bulb is new, the plugs are new (weird center fire plugs), I have taken apart all the fuel lines etc to check for obstructions, there are none. The system is squeaky clean. The fuel lines are tight, the carbs look clean from the intake side with the plenum cover off. The bulb does suck in a little when I run it fast, but it doesn't seem to starve it at all. Most of the wiring looks to be in good condition, I unhooked all the connections, cleaned them and put dielectric grease in them. No better. I am buying a manual and plan on chipping away at it until I find the problem but any help with this from someone with more experience than me would be great. One thing I thought of was maybe the oil was too old...I got it with the boat so it's at least 5 years old. Does 2-stroke oil go bad? Maybe I am just too cheap and should have used new. That would be a simple fix... It looked fine and ran great in my kicker. Also, is it worth using 93 octane instead of 87? :confused:

Mike M.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1979 Johnson 200HP stalling and starting...

You need TCW3 for oil, the older version will ruin the cylinders, I think its the ethanol in fuel doing that.

You need this factory service manual, accept no substitutes.
www.outboardbooks.com

Your engine is brand new, why are you doing 50mph on freshly rebuilt ?
It should be broken in by the book, no WOT, no constant speed settings for more than a few minutes, often varying the throttle is best.
After 10 hrs retorque the head bolts.

Why did the engine need rebuilding, if it fried a piston the original problem is probably still there waiting to fry everything again.

Fouling plugs could be ignition or could be leaking fuel feed lines.
You need a spark GAP tester to check spark quality. It should jump almost 1/2 inch. See the FAQ files if you don't know how to do it.
I think the plugs are wrong too, try the proper Champion plugs first.

grady183

Recruit

Thanks guys.

I am not familiar with the break in procedures, again I guess I should have gotten the book first. The plugs are in fact the factory recommended plugs, they are Champions, model number listed right on the engine. Thanks for the info on the GAP test, I will do that ASAP. Timing was a thought of mine too, interesting in knowing why you would recommend that (tashasdaddy). Could timing preferentially foul one side of the engine over the other? I will ask my brother why he had the engine rebuilt. I can see the one cylinder bank is not the original paint (bead blasted finish).

MikeM

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

"Bumping the choke", suggests a fuel supply problem, but there well may be other issues as well. You need to check and make sure timing is correct, carbs are all clean internally, etc., before you break in as a new engine.