09 Yamaha T60 Alternator Upgrade?

05180BR

Recruit
I have a new 09 T60 High Thrust Yamaha Outboard, it comes standard with a 17amp alternator. I have some onboard re-charging requirements for my 24v Minn Kota 65 trolling motor, since I do not have dockside power. Two (2) questions...1. will a 17amp alternator, a long with its other power requirements, provide enough power to re-charge my 2-12v trolling batts. (I'm using a Minn Kota alternator powered charging system...charges when outboard is running only) and 2. will a Yamaha 25amp outboard alternator standard on a F75 work/fit on the T60?

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 09 Yamaha T60 Alternator Upgrade?

There is a solar charger made. What it does is that it will use the suns energy and charge it. U leave it hooked up to the battery(s) while not in use and it will keep them charged. But for out in the water use I would purchase a extra battery to have on board. My system runs on twin batterys and i still have an extra battery on board.

05180BR

Recruit

Thanks, I use a 15w solar trickle charger that's mounted on my boat...its great for conditioning and keeping a charge but not for major recharging of a 24v system.

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class

well that alt is not going to beable to handel that load it only has a enough to have the regular equipment on board. Need extra battery to be on the safe side.