Ground issue- I think - i can't get my powerd lights to light

rooooney

Petty Officer 2nd Class
trailer lights do not work-
I have a 4 pin connector- it is getting all power- (lights brakes turn)-

The truck harness is obviously grounded- if I ground the trailer side wires to the truck side ground - while plugged into the harness- they show power-

but if I am plugged into the truck and put my tester on a boat side wire i can not get a ground anywhere on the boat to light my tester- but once again if i touch that tester to a ground on the truck- it lights right up? I am very confused.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Ground issue- I think - i can't get my powerd lights to light

Ground ground ground

Sometimes the lights are mounted and grounded to a bracket that is in turn bolted to the frame of the trailer. This is a typical spot for corrosion and thus bad ground. Is yours this way? One way to remedy is to remove them ( the bolts and brackets) and clean 'em up and reinstall. Or weld them tight.

Another way is to run a spliced ground wire to each light. This is the most reliable way I've found.

BTW- Have you checked the ground pin on the truck side to make sure it is ok or did you go right to the frame of the truck?

rooooney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The truck ground pin is good- i will take the lights off and check that out- I just couldn't find a good ground anywhere on the darn trailer. I cut into a wire about 2 feet from the rear right light and put a tester on the wire- then I tried to get the tester to light up by touching it to a trailer ground and everywhere I touched - nothing - but if i touched it to the truck - the tester lit right up- Ill have to fudge with it tomorrow again and pull those lights off- thanks for the advice

ridefst

Seaman Apprentice

I'd guess that it's the connection between the trailer frame and the white wire (ground) from the connector.
It's not likely that every light has a bad connection to ground, but this one connection would kill the entire trailer.

a70eliminator

Captain

If you have a tilt trailer the rear half of the trailer easily be loosing ground, either run a seperate ground woire all the way from the light sockets or shine up that pivot point really good.

rooooney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Turns out that the lights on this trailer were not water proof- i took off the cover and all the bulbs were fried - i just picked up some new lights and used the old wires and all is well- thanks for the help

ridefst

Seaman Apprentice

You may know this already, but if the lights aren't completely sealed, be sure to unplug them before backing into the water, else you'll be replacing bulbs quite often.

rooooney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did not know that - but it makes sense- thanks