serial # = year ????

surreyboy

Seaman Apprentice
hi every one . i just bought a boat with a 50 horse johnson & am not sure the year . can i tell from the serial # ? if so how ? thankx for all info

Re: serial # = year ????

if you look up a part on the web, like an impeller, put in the model # and it will post up the year. I did the same thing cause the guy that sold me my boat told me my motor was a 91 and i was looking up an impeller kit and put in the model # and it showed up as an 88.
good luck.

surreyboy

Seaman Apprentice

Post the model number and somebody can look it up. The serial number is pretty useless.
List of 50 HP Johnsons here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010709223551/www.evinrude.com/docktalk/modref/jomodyr/JHP50.html

hey that list is pretty cool , thanks > i could not find the model number there though ??? the one i pulled off the motor was - J50TLCRM . the guy i purchesed it from said it was a 86 but i just want to make sure thankx again

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

J50TLCRM

J = Johnson
50 = 50hp
T = Trim and tilt, electric start
L = 20" shaft
CR = 1984
M = model run

surreyboy

Seaman Apprentice

thats great !!!! thank you so much . now could someone please tell me where to find or what the mixture is for this engine is & also what type of oil to use in the leg ?? thanx again for all your help . oh one more thing , while trailering the unit should i lock the motor in a up right position with a rod or is the electric motor enough ?

cheers !!

MRamsden

Cadet

Mix the gas 50:1 and use Evinrude approved oil, there is additives in there just for thier motors from what I have heard.

MRamsden

Cadet

You should travel with it in the upright position. Mine is a electric tilt but it has a flip lock when it's up and you lower it down to rest on the lock. At least thats what I do.

thats great !!!! thank you so much . now could someone please tell me where to find or what the mixture is for this engine is & also what type of oil to use in the leg ?? thanx again for all your help . oh one more thing , while trailering the unit should i lock the motor in a up right position with a rod or is the electric motor enough ?

cheers !!