Power tilt will not go down

scottykrug

Cadet
I have a 1997 Mercury 115 hp ELPTO that has started having tilt issues. It will tilt up with no issue, but will not tilt down unless you tilt up first and then quickly reverse it and go down. When you select down either on the shifter or the switch located on the motor itself, you can hear a "click" at the relay, but the tilt motor does not turn on. We replaced the relay just in case, but it seems to have the same issue regardless. First thought was a bad switch, but both shifter and motor switches have the same issue. Second thought was a flat spot on the shaft in the pump motor, but why would it work up but not down? Thoughts? The parents are taking the boat on a fishing trip this next week and I wanted to get it fixed before they left.

Thank you in advance...

Scooter

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Power tilt will not go down

It sounds like bad brushes in the motor or a dead spot on the armature. You might verify the relays are supplying consistant power and ground to the PTT motor, before your replace it.

Just so you know, the relays reverse the polarity causing the motor to run CW and CCW. You might check 'em for proper operation.

Thoroughbred

Seaman Apprentice

I had a similar problem and one of the wires was worn were it runs up into the underside of the cowl. Look at all wires carefully and you might find the same.

I'm struggling with exactly the same issue with my 1996 40hp mariner. I've put in a new relay to replace the one that seemed broken, but I still have to manually reverse polarity. I don't get it since the TT motor is brand new (and the correct one). I also checked the wires and they seem OK, but obviously can't get into the sealed relay units to check them. I've actually ordered another relay and hope that 2 new relays will do the trick.

One question in the back of my mind - are the relays identical , ie do you have to have an "up" and a "down" relay or do they work out up and down in tandem (thats probably not a good explanation...)?

Scottykrug - if you get a solution could you please post it. I'll do likewise.

FOW

Replaced both relays and problem fixed! Solved my problem, hope it helps you.
FOW