50hp Force clicks but won't start

triplebogey

Cadet
Hi all,

First I've got the determination to fix this thing myself, but not the technical expertise so please bear with my ignorance. I've attached a few photos to illustrate my dilemma since my terminology may be off.

When I turn the ignition, I hear a click which I assume is the starter solenoid but the engine does not turn over. Also, if I try to trim up or down on the power tnt, I hear a click but the motor does not respond. I've attached a photo of what I think is the solenoid with my finger pointing at the positive post coming out toward the starter. Since I don't know how to use a multimeter, I ran a test light on the positive lead coming into the solenoid and it lights up. I also tested the smaller yellow/red lead which I assume is the ignition. This also lights up when I turn the ignition switch and attempt to crank the motor. However, I could not get the lead coming out of the solenoid to light up under any scenario (the one my finger is pointing at). At this point I'm assuming the solenoid is bad because I'm getting juice in and nothing out. Anyone have any thoughts on what this could be?

FYI - I also checked the shift interlock switch per other posts I read and mine appears to be functioning properly.

Attachments

• motor.JPG
    motor.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 0
  • solenoid.JPG
    solenoid.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 0
  • shiftinterlock.JPG
    shiftinterlock.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 0

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 50hp Force clicks but won't start

Try jumping the soleniod first. also make sure you can turn the engine over by hand at the flywheel.

triplebogey

Cadet

Can you please describe how I would jump the solenoid? Do you mean to link the large positive leads together?

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

you best bet would be to go from one of the smaller leads that is hot to the starter side.

ammermanfam

Seaman

Ihad that happen when I first got the boat. For me it turned out to just be the case of I missed a wire when reconnecting the battery.Duh. John

Bifflefan

Commander

1st yes thats the starter solinoid.
2nd to see if the starter is good you can do 2 things.
A: with jumper cables, take the red cable only and connect one side to one of the big terminals on the solinoid and the other end of the cable just touch it to the other big term on the sol. The starter will crank if its good. (be carfull of any lost clothing.
B: with the same jumper cables, connect to the batt POS+ and then just touch it to the starter terminal (red wire on the starter itself) and the starter will crank. again be carefull.
If eather of these make the starter crank then its fine.
3rd Have a friend, wife, who ever, click the key on and off of the start position a few times and just touch the solinoid with your hand while doing this. if you feel the sol clicking and the starter is good then its the solinoid.

Before any of this confirm that the batt has a full charge!!!!!

triplebogey

Cadet

Here's the update:

A. I jumped the two positive terminals on the solinoid and nothing happened.

B. I jumped from the positive on battery direct to the starter and it cranked.

C. Solinoid clicks when turning the key

So it's the the solinoid? If so, the part# is saz 4201ab. Do you know where I can get a replacement?

Bifflefan

Commander

NO.
sounds like you dont have any power going to the sol. from the big batt cable. it will click because there is power going to it from the little wire. but when you jump across the 2 big terms and nothing happens, then there is not power there. I would replace the batt cable from the batt to the sol. and that should cure your problem.
It may also be the cable from the sol. to the starter. either way there is a power loss in one of them.
You can use your jumper cable as a temp batt cable by hooking it to the starter and then to the starter side of the sol. if it cranks, (with the key) then its the cable that you bypassed, if not then its the cable from the batt to the sol.

Last edited:

john from md

Commander

+1 on the power to the solinoid. Are you sure it is hooked up to the battery? Due to the rats nest of wires in the battery box of small boats, sometimes a wire gets left off the post.

John

triplebogey

Cadet

Thanks guys. I'm 99% sure that the solinoid is properly wired, but I'll double check tonight. Also, I just remembered that I changed out the fuse holder last year near the +battery terminal. The fuse is good, but there possibly could be trouble at the spot where the fuse holder was spliced into the cable. I'll investigate tonight and update this evening (hopefully that's all it is).

triplebogey

Cadet

OK Bifflefan, I owe you serious props...pun intended. It was indeed just the positive cable that was causing the problem. I checked near the positive terminal on the battery and everything looked good, but when I peeled the rubber casing back around the lead I found that it was seriously corroded and deteriorated. I replaced the cable and it cranks just fine. Problem solved...

Thanks!!!