Bought my first boat :)

devildog1679

Cadet
OK, so I bought a new 2008 Maxum 1800MX for $13,995 on Friday. I think I got a hell of a deal, it came with the Bimini top, snap in carpet and covers for front and back. The weekend was great, so much fun.

Though we did have two issues. First Friday night I didn't put the covers on since we were heading out in the morning and no rain was forecasted. Well at 2am I heard thunder and then a downpour. needless to say I spent 1 hour in her morning drying her up.

The second was a noob mistake. Put the boat in on Sunday pulled the trailer out and then decided to stop and ask my wife if she put the drain plug in. Her answer NO, YIKES. Rushed to put it back on he trailer, had a bit of water but not to much. At least we now the bilge pump works.

Attachments

• Boat3.jpg
    Boat3.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat4.jpg
    Boat4.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bought my first boat :)

Put the boat in on Sunday pulled the trailer out and then decided to stop and ask my wife if she put the drain plug in. Her answer NO, YIKES. Rushed to put it back on he trailer, had a bit of water but not to much. At least we now the bilge pump works.

Wow, you sure got that out of the way in a hurry huh?

Sounds like you absolutely stole that boat. Let's see some pics.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Looks like a great boat, hopefully your family will have a lot of fun with it!

Forgot the plug already! :eek: Hopefully you have a system set up now to prevent that from happening again. For example, put the plug somewhere highly visible that you are at before you back the boat in the water! (Bow stop, etc.)

Also, may i suggest a boaters safety course. Even if it is not required by your state they are a very good idea! You will learn a lot of info and maybe pick up some helpful tips and tricks along the way to save you from learning the hardway!

Have fun with the new boat!

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No fair forgetting the plug on the FIRST ramp visit! It took me 6 months before I forgot the plug in my boat - already into my routine, already feeling a bit more confident.

So then of course, when I DID forget the plug, I was nearly to the far side of the (thankfully smallish) lake taking the first rip while my wife parked the truck. Then I noticed I was sitting a little low...

Congrats on your first boat.

I am in the pre-stage of buying my first. Although I have found some great deals, I go back and forth about actually purchasing one. I am a little scared to make the plungefor a couple of reasons (maybe you had similar concerns). 1. big boat loan, 2. I know very little about boating, 3. I'm scared of all of the little extra costs aside from the purchase of the boat. I'm scared of regretting getting into something that I may find myself and my family not enjoying, several $1000s later.

Reading your post, and other posts, puts me at ease a bit.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That looks like a really nice boat and the price seems great as well.
Got a "three fitty" in er ? :cool:

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

The second was a noob mistake. Put the boat in on Sunday pulled the trailer out and then decided to stop and ask my wife if she put the drain plug in. Her answer NO, YIKES. Rushed to put it back on he trailer, had a bit of water but not to much. At least we now the bilge pump works.

LOL beat you wont forget to do that again. I make that number 1 on my check list along with the transom straps havent forgot them yet. now im knocking on wood :D

Viking...

Seaman

Grats on the new boat!

I wonder how long some of the veterans have gone without forgetting the plug?
That might make an interesting question in another post...

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice boat dude! So now that you go the boat plug thing out of the way, prepare your self for "it won't start" because your turning the darn thing with the red twisty cord dragging on the deck or a couple hours of electronics diagnosis only to find out you blew the in-line fuse. Ah?good times to come, wish you the best with it.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

I am in the pre-stage of buying my first. Although I have found some great deals, I go back and forth about actually purchasing one. I am a little scared to make the plungefor a couple of reasons (maybe you had similar concerns). 1. big boat loan, 2. I know very little about boating, 3. I'm scared of all of the little extra costs aside from
the purchase of the boat. I'm scared of regretting getting into something that I may find myself and my family not enjoying, several $1000s later.

before you sink(no pun intended) big$$$ into a 1st boat rent one a couple days or buy an inexpensive used boat that you can sell after you know its what you want-my$.02

soaringhiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very nice, I bet you will have a great time. My kids 8 and 10 are now really hooked on tubing.

I second a nav and handling class, you will learn ways to make it easy to handle a boat and make other green with the apparent ease and proficiency with which you maneuver the boat. It is safer as well.

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

what blue blucraber said. as a boater coarce. allways scan 360% when on the water, I have had to shutdown from full power to aviod a family of wetjeters an NEVER! saw us,boat took on water and pissed off wife' she now has an AIR horn and a midle finger. LOL!

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Ya I did the same newbie OOPS too, when I first got ours, just a little tip that I once did as well, don't forget to raise your stern drive after you put her on the trailer, you'll all of a sudden hear a grinding noise:eek:, Uhh honey did you hear some thing??? Nice boat!! I hope you and your family have as much fun as my wife and I do on the lake with our little ones(dogs), Happy baoting and have a great time open her up to W.O.T for the first time, scares the hell out of ya the first time doing 50-55mph on water and you hit your first wake from a big boat, Now I find all the big ones I can..AHH I LOVE IT!!
Dixie ready to go to the lake???

Attachments

• DIXIE.jpg
    DIXIE.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 0

brown_one

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am in the pre-stage of buying my first. Although I have found some great deals, I go back and forth about actually purchasing one. I am a little scared to make the plungefor a couple of reasons (maybe you had similar concerns). 1. big boat loan, 2. I know very little about boating, 3. I'm scared of all of the little extra costs aside from the purchase of the boat. I'm scared of regretting getting into something that I may find myself and my family not enjoying, several $1000s later.

my wife and i were just talking about this last night. we bought our first boat last year. we had some of the same concerns but after seeing the looks on my kids faces every time we go out makes it worth it. we believe it's one of the best investments we have made. ton's of quality family time and i love seeing my kids have a blast.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The "it isn't going to rain so we won't cover the boat" idea has caused hurricanes to spring out of nowhere!!!! Cover it - it's good therapy AND a few more minutes with your boat and not your "to-do" list at home!

Great start to boat ownership with the plug! Any idea how high the water got in the bilge? Electronics dry?

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ya I did the same newbie OOPS too, when I first got ours, just a little tip that I once did as well, don't forget to raise your stern drive after you put her on the trailer, you'll all of a sudden hear a grinding noise:eek:, Uhh honey did you hear some thing???
There's an old guy at my marina that watches for this. When he catches a down leg he yells at the driver and person in the boat, then demands a cup of coffee for saving the leg.

I owe him two cups of coffee. :redface:

devildog1679

Cadet

Thank you all for the comments. We are taking a boaters course this weekend. We rented a boat for a few weekends to make sure we wanted one. We deff. made a good decision. It just sucks that I'll be paying for a boat i can only use 6 months out of the year :(