Can I get my money back?

Showtime22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Can I get my money back?

I don't think you will get your money back but you should give the 1st mechanic a chance to make it right. He should do something for you.

If he doesn't he may have a second shop burn down.
I just looked at Angieslist.com and they have reviews on marinas.
You could post your issue with the mechanic, if anything it will help others.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

If he doesn't he may have a second shop burn down.

Man! That was harsh! Glad i have not worked on your boat!:eek:

I agree the first mechanic should get a second chance at correcting the problem.

rainman1999

Seaman Apprentice

Shops charge by the hour. That includes taking the boat to the water and testing it. Unless they have their own personal ramp, and it's very close buy, consider 3 hours for a test run about minimum.

Yes they have thier own ramp and a bunch of slips, some really big boats. I will most likely pay up the a**, but I just want it right! Summer in Maine is too short. Once this thing runs smoothly, hopefully I can handle the regular mainenance and stuff myself.

rainman1999

Seaman Apprentice

I don't think you will get your money back but you should give the 1st mechanic a chance to make it right. He should do something for you.

He had two chances already. I picked up my boat and had 2 weekends with freinds spoiled because my newly repaired boat ran like sh*t! I am done with him. When it is fixed I will swing by and tell him what the real issue was and see if he wants to do the right thing like, say..., offer to winterize it on the house or something?

Cptkid570

Ensign

Whether or not you'll have to pay out of the ***** will depend on what the problem is. You may need a fuel pump, you may have low compression and need an engine.. at least you have it at a shop that you trust. After you find out the real problem, maybe you could advise the old shop of what the problem was and see if they could at least refund their labor and not the parts that they installed.

Please come back on here and let us know what the problem is/was...

Also, you may want to water test it by yourself before inviting a bunch of people out :)

Maclin

Admiral

He had two chances already. I picked up my boat and had 2 weekends with freinds spoiled because my newly repaired boat ran like sh*t! I am done with him. When it is fixed I will swing by and tell him what the real issue was and see if he wants to do the right thing like, say..., offer to winterize it on the house or something?

After all of that do you really want a "free" winterization from the same guy? I mean, you paid for all the other with not good results, and a not-good-results winterizaton can be catastrophic!

I'm just sayin'....:)

rainman1999

Seaman Apprentice

That is true,but he is a merc dealer and winterizing is pretty basic. He just wasn't hearing me when I said it needs to be load tested cause it actually sounds and runs great on muffs. The engine is a registered remanufactured merc. My hour meter is at 400, so this engine has a lot less than that, I would think.

rfelectron

Recruit

I remember many years ago a friend had a boat that ran like crap and he spent a bunch of $$$ throwing parts at it without any luck. Turned out the boat had a leak and had taken on water. I guess it's too late now, but I would have suggested taking the boat to a truckstop and weighing it. Any chance you're lugging around a few hundred gals. of water? If the engine checked out on the first guys dyno, but still runs like crap in the water, maybe your load is greater than you think it is?

parrisw

Ensign

I remember many years ago a friend had a boat that ran like crap and he spent a bunch of $$$ throwing parts at it without any luck. Turned out the boat had a leak and had taken on water. I guess it's too late now, but I would have suggested taking the boat to a truckstop and weighing it. Any chance you're lugging around a few hundred gals. of water? If the engine checked out on the first guys dyno, but still runs like crap in the water, maybe your load is greater than you think it is?

Good point. Man wouldn't that be something!!

rainman1999

Seaman Apprentice

I already checked the bilge, no water other than a couple inches. Not enough to engage the bilge pump. The hull is in great shape, there is little to no chance that it is waterlogged. I installed a transducer and the transom was solid and dry when I drilled through it.

rainman1999

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I got my boat back from the other marina today and it was bitter sweet, a lesson well learned. The prop was pitched wrong!!!! he went from a 19" to a 15" and she gets up on plane no problem, wot is at 4600, and top end is about 40mph, with 4 adults, 65 gallons of gas, and a full fresh water tank. That is pretty good for a 5200lb cruiser. I'm lovin it! I am pissed at myself for not trying that in the first place. the reason I didn't is because the Stingray owners website has all of the original equipment that was installed on my boat listed and the prop was a 19" from the factory, so that was not the issue ( or so I thought). I was looking everywhere but there for that reason! Oh well , now I can enjoy the rest of the year, and hopfully many more with only gas and mainenance to worry about. Thanks for all the insight everybody, As I've read here many times from a regular poster on here(can't recall his name) JUST BECAUSE YOU FOUND IT THAT WAY, IT DOES"T MEAN IT'S RIGHT!!!!!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Had to be something else, other than just the prop. That prop change would give you a change 400 to 500 rpm, not 1600. Trim adjustment maybe ??????

JustJason

Vice Admiral

As I've read here many times from a regular poster on here(can't recall his name) JUST BECAUSE YOU FOUND IT THAT WAY, IT DOES"T MEAN IT'S RIGHT!!!!!!!

I know who that guy is....

Still doesn't sound right... all they changed was the prop?? Did they do any pm? Filters?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

There may more going on here than meets the eye......

I did a little searching around and Stingray claims the 240CS (although it's a 2009 model @around 4200lbs + fuel + 1 person) will do 43mph with a Volvo Penta 4.3L MPI V6[225 prop hp] & 1.66:1 SX drive, with a stainless steel 19" prop. (which WILL give you better performance than an aluminum prop)

http://www.stingrayboats.com/products/models09/performance_options.pdf

I can't pull the 1999 Mercury 5.7L MPI hp out of the air right now but it would probably be at least 260-280 hp so it might be conceivable with the right drive ratio a 19" pitch prop would be correct.

In the last 10 years someone could have rebuilt or changed the drive because it was damaged, stolen, etc.....and put the wrong (different) ratio on it. (or maybe the original dealer swapped it and it was wrong from day-one!)

Sales people sometimes do strange things and lot of them are are about as smart as a rock!!

So for that engine to run only 4600 with a 15p prop on it tells me that it's NOT developing full HP if everything else (weight, drive ratio, bottom cleanliness, etc) IS OK.

The drive ratio could be wrong. Don't use any placards on the drive because in the last 10 years someone could have put different (ratio) gears in it from original.

I am guessing that the drive should be a ~ 1.50:1 ratio for an MPI V-8.....

But who knows? a lot could happen in 10 years..... Using the G0-Fast prop slip calculator A 1.36 drive + 15p prop would give you approx 40mph at 4600 rpm (15% slip)

This is all "Ball Park " stuff......It is by no means an exact science. Your boat may indeed be "overweight" ......

Drive it over a scale to check.,

Turn the engine by hand (pull the plugs) <in gear> to count engine revolutions and have someone count prop revolutions to determine the EXACT ratio. (ENG revs/Prop revs= ratio)

Do a compression check to help determine if the engine is developing full rated power.

When you know those simple things you can narrow some of other things down.

The shop should have determined if the fuel tank/anti-siphon valve/lines/filter/injection etc had any problems.......

Cheers,

Rick
bravoIII2.gif

rainman1999

Seaman Apprentice

Hey everyone, I just got back online and read the responses to my "problem solved" propeller pitch. Now I am nervous again. The original ratio was 1:47 and it is the original drive. ( or the original housing) I will have to check it out manually I guess. What really sucks is it costs me at least $300 bucks each time I take it to a shop. Seems everything is 3 hours labor + parts!! This is depressing. All the 240cs owners on the stingray website say they get mid 40's with the 5.0 merc.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

I highly recommend testing fuel rail pressure while under WOT load.

A weak fuel pump will maintain rated pressure no load while in the shop but pressure will droop while under load, depriving the motor of full potential, and in this situation downsizing the prop may indeed bring WOT RPM back into range.

However, if the root problem IS the fuel pump, then it will not be too long before it again won't get to RPM and you'll have it back in those expensive shops.

pinecrestwoods

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can have waterlogged foam and have no water in the bilge. Also, the fact that you drilled into your transom and it was dry is good!.... but doesn't mean you're not carrying extra weight. I'm dealing with this issue right now. I don't know what the next step is, then, for sure except to do some careful figuring on the weight.

I'm not saying that's your problem. I'm just saying "don't totally rule it out as an option." Check the fuel stuff first.

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class

my 5.7EFI remanufactured by Mercruiser engine was doing the same thing. It took an old guy that was at the ramp to get me to have the service guy check fuel tube screen inside the fuel tank to see if it got clogged when it ran. I had to tell the Mercruiser Service manager to bring a clean tank and run the unit under load in the water and when the bogging started to change the fuel take and see what would happen. Guess what it ran great and it was the screen inside the tank fuel line that clogged when it ran under load and the fuel in the tank sloshed around and picked up stuff in the tank and clogged the strainer and then starved the engine under load.
Also, I had another problem with the remanufactured engine by Mercruiser. They did not inspect all the parts before they sold it to me. After 2 years of operation the plugs in the casting rusted a hole in them causing them to spray water on my electric which cost me $1,500 to fix and they will not honor me with any refund for there poor quality inspection. Therefore, I suggest if you get any remanufactured engine get an extended warranty to cover as long as you can.